• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to cover one. I think I'll be asking the boss if I can go next year. I'd love to do a Turkish derby, you know, from behind bullet-proof glass.

You might struggle to get a press pass though.
My mate works for AFP and he had to sit in a regular seat for the last game at Ibrox as Rangers had too much demand for access to the Press Box.

Chelsea v Everton

Chelsea hauled themselves to within two points of Manchester United with a 1-0 victory over Everton that I would be tempted to call dour, if it hadn't have preceded the least informative press conference since Rafa Benitez told us nineteen times that he was concentrating on coaching the team. Chelsea, as they did against Wigan at the beginning of the week, had the lion's share of possession throughout the 90 minutes, but never looked like stretching away from their opponents

Michael Essien worked hard for their decisive goal, so we shouldn't dwell on its freakish nature. Suffice to say it owed more to fortune than to design. A John Obi Mikel shot and two Everton free-kicks were the only other moments worthy of note. It was that kind of night.

A rare start for Shaun Wright-Phillips in the centre of midfield gave Chelsea awesome pace, but not much in the way of physical strength. Everton certainly aren't lacking in that department, but you know it's a bad game of football when Phil Neville is the best player on the pitch. Everton struggled to create anything of their own, but they were very good at stopping Chelsea from playing. Phil Jagielka and Joleon Lescott were in typically indomitable form and Lee Carsley continues to provide a barrier to exciting football, and I mean that in a nice way. It would just be nice if Everton could find something interesting to do for the first seventy minutes before they finally throw caution to the wind and chuck some substitutes on. I'm not saying that it was a boring game, but in the first hour I had to work so hard to keep focusing on the screen and stop thinking about more exciting matters, like the fact that my fridge could do with a clean.

Mind you, Chelsea were equally culpable for this dire procession. Nicolas Anelka is not, and never will be, a lone striker. He's not big enough to win the all-too-frequent long balls and he continually drops deep or drifts wide to start the moves that he's supposed to be finishing. Chelsea's final ball at Goodison was dreadful and Essien's goal was actually their first serious shot on target.

Avram Grant won't lose his job because of results. On paper, Chelsea have improved since he grabbed the wheel from the departing Jose Mourinho. On paper, they've hardly lost a game since he arrived. On paper, they're unbeaten in 18 matches. The trouble is that football isn't played on paper. It's played on grass over a period of 90 minutes at great cost to all those who want to watch, whether they're unfortunate enough to be in the stadium, or if they've just paid out for the digital channels. For the money that Chelsea have spent on their team, they should be delivering a lot more than just dour effectiveness. I know that I keep harping on about this like a broken record, but if Roman Abramovich's dream of owning a beloved 'global brand' like Manchester United or Real Madrid is ever to be realised, he has to demand more.

If this had been a 1-0 win for Everton or Aston Villa or Bolton Wanderers, we'd describe it as pragmatic and necessary. A hard-working team playing to their strengths against adversity. But it wasn't any of those clubs, it was one of the richest, most highly paid collection of athletes in the world. Expectations are high when you spend more players than some countries spend on their space program. Chelsea aren't living up to them.

Avram Grant’s so-called press conference.

When I saw the transcript of Avram Grant’s so-called press conference I wondered what all the fuss was about. That’s what he’s always like. Not for nothing does he always dress in black. Every Chelsea game I’ve covered this season, and for my sins there have been many, he shuffles into the room apologetically like a provincial undertaker steeling himself to ask a grieving family for payment. He sits behind a desk, flanked by the sinister press officer Simon Greenburg, crosses his arms defensively and then mumbles at the floor. The first time he did this, I just thought it was a strange mannerism and I waited, pen poised, for him to start speaking. It was only when I noticed the other journalists scribbling away that I realised he already had.

I know a number of writers who have given up even bothering with his press conferences. When you’ve got a limited amount of time to file your report, they say, why use 50 per cent of it waiting in vain for Grant to say something interesting? He never does. His trademark move is to sidestep questions, repeat buzzword-filled mantras and mumble everything so quietly and in such a rumbling monotone that when he says, “Is that all?” you can’t help but be relieved that it’s all over.

Personally, I’m quite fascinated by him. He is so dour, so defensive and so uncomfortable. I genuinely think that he was startled by the angry reaction to his appointment and, though he won’t ever mention him by name, I suspect that he often wonders how Jose Mourinho ever coped with the limelight. I would love to know what he’s like with the players in private, what he actually brings to the party. Given that John Terry had to do the extra-time team-talk at Wembley, it can’t be inspirational speeches.

His petulant treatment of the media is a professional suicide note. Justified or not, you can’t behave like that to the British media and expect to get away with it. Benitez’s outburst was tolerated becuase his motives were clear. It wasn’t an attack on the press, it was an attack on the American owners. It is difficult to find any motive for this latest stonewalling besides Grant’s personal quest for revenge. The press reaction to the draw against Wigan was savage and the most hurtful aspect must have been that it was led by the conservative broadsheet newspapers. Henry Winter, one of the most respected, intelligent journalists on the circuit, described Grant as ‘Mr Average’ and declared that Chelsea would never be a big club while he was in charge. That must have hurt.

Grant will now pursue his only salvation; the pair of trophies that could save his job. He will do it as he does everything; quietly, stubbornly and with the support of absolutely no-one. It’s funny; in a strange kind of way I’ll miss him when he goes.

Avram Grant's answers were akin to an 11 year old being questioned by the headmaster. I found that non-specific denial ('I don't know') was a very handy tool when confronted with overwhelming evidence. It has served me well in later life too, especially when I couldn't afford a brief.

Manchester City

The legendary British football commentator Stuart Hall once earned himself a telling-off from then-Manchester City manager Kevin Keegan for continually referring to Maine Road as, “The Theatre of Comedy.” Keegan implored Hall to show the club some respect, but as Hall later pointed out, sometimes it’s impossible to comply. Of all the clubs in Britain, barring perhaps Tottenham and Newcastle, Manchester City seem the most determined to make fools of themselves.

Thaksin Shinawatra, their controversial new chairman, has quickly familiarised himself with the wider role of the club and was on hand this week to give everybody in football something to laugh about. He told a business conference in Dubai that he would be reviewing Sven Goran Eriksson’s position at the end of the season. That’s the Eriksson who has taken City from the brink of relegation to the fringes of Europe, is it? The Eriksson who secured a rare double of victories over their hated Red rivals? I like people like Shinawatra. They make life so much more entertaining.

Eriksson took over at Eastlands last July, just one month before the start of the season. He inherited a threadbare squad that had only just avoided the drop, was given a huge pile of money and told to get to work. I still smile when I think about the abuse he got for signing players that he’d watched on video. Where was he going to go in July to watch live football? And besides, he hadn’t spent his sabbatical watching tennis. He didn’t pluck Elano from a lucky dip, he’d seen him score twice for Brazil against Argentina at The Emirates. He didn’t buy Martin Petrov because he liked his name. He bought him because he knows European football and could tell that he was one of the best left-wingers on the continent. In short, he assembled a lot of quality players in a very short time. Not all of them have settled in, but that’s to be expected when you have such a scattergun approach to recruitment.

Patience is a virtue that newcomers to football never seem to understand. It’s far easier just to assume that if you throw a lot of expensive players together, you’ll have a brilliant team. It doesn’t work like that though. Players are human, they’re not the collection of numbers that appear on games like Football Manager. They need time to settle, a chance to bond with their colleagues. The manager needs to learn how to use them, to figure out how they react to setbacks. The club needs to grow over a period of time and that can only happen with stability. If Shinawatra brings in a new manager now, he’ll have to start again with new players and all the progress of this season will be lost.

It’s the fans that I feel sorry for. You’ll have to search long and hard to find more loyal supporters than the ones in the sky blue shirts. When City dropped into the third flight of English football, they were still getting crowds of over 30,000 at Maine Road. They’ve been there for this team through thin and thinner and they know they’re onto a good thing with Sven.

Yes, the second half of the season has been very disappointing, but if you’d have offered Eriksson a top-half finish at the start of the season he would have been absolutely delighted. Only Manchester City could see such a vast improvement in fortunes as a reason to sack their manager. If Shinawatra isn’t careful, people will still be laughing at this football team for years to come.

Arsenal v Reading

Arsenal returned to winning ways at a freezing cold Emirates Stadium with a convincing 2-0 victory over a Reading side who are nose-diving at the worst possible time. Only a combination of fine goalkeeping, desperate clearances and Arsenal's own profligacy prevented this from becoming a massacre. With just three games left, two of which are away from home, Steve Coppell is staring relegation in the face.

To their credit, Reading did try to take the game to their opponents in the early stages, but they were utterly outclassed. With three big, physical centre-backs, they had clearly hoped to stifle Emmanuel Adebayor, but they were absolutely torn apart on their left flank. With six changes to his team, Coppell dropped left-back Nicky Shorey all the way out of the squad and replaced him with the right-footed Liam Rosenior. Despite Coppell's later claims that Rosenior had played well, it certainly didn't look like that from where I was sitting. Kolo Toure and Theo Walcott linked up to devastating effect and savaged him, creating a series of chances including the opening goal. Shorey had publicly stated that he was unsure where his future lies, but if Coppell wanted to teach him a lesson, then it was expensive tuition.

Arsenal were magnificent. Relieved of pressure, they carried themselves with confidence and returned to the cavalier football that had delighted us all earlier this season. Instead of tentatively pinging the ball around their opponent's penalty area for ten minutes at a time, they started to probe their opponents with through-balls. In recent months they've seemed too scared to attempt anything that might result in them losing possession, but they played with renewed courage here. Cesc Fabregas, who has looked tired and drained of late, was a new man. The young Spaniard has said in the past that he prefers to make goals rather than score them and he passed the ball around to great effect here.

There have been a number of areas where Arsenal have been found wanting this season, but one of the least discussed has been their appalling habit of blasting all their corners straight at the midriff of the near-post defender. Not any more. One of the most pleasing aspects about this victory was their willingness to experiment with the short corner. Sometimes they'd play the ball back and allow Robin van Persie to swing in a cross from a better angle, sometimes they fooled everyone and released the Dutchman with a cheeky pass, enabing him to hare in on goal from a narrow angle. Reading just didn't know want to do.

Arsene Wenger acknowledged afterwards that his team can only hope to chase Chelsea for third, but if they play out the rest of the season like this, they'll have a chance. This was the London club back to their beguiling best and if they can hold their key players down, next season could be even more exciting. For Reading, the omens are less encouraging. This was their fourth game without a goal and their players' heads will be so low that they'll be in danger of tripping over them soon. They travel to Wigan next week and nothing less than a win will do.

Walcott was absolutely magnificent today... Completely deserving of his starting spot and must surely keep it from here on in?

Walcott was absolutely magnificent today... Completely deserving of his starting spot and must surely keep it from here on in?

Wasn't he brilliant? Mind you, how good was Toure as well? He played like Cafu!

Wenger was saying afterwards that Walcott's come on in leaps and bounds in the last two months. "The boy has become a man," he said in an elegant quote that I really should crowbarred into my article, truth be told.

The Title Race.

If you had any plans for this Saturday evening, I'd start cancelling them now because this title race is going all the way to the wire. Manchester United's struggles against Brad Friedel Rovers, sorry, Blackburn Rovers brought back memories of their 1995 visit to Upton Park when Ludek Miklosko's heroics in the West Ham goal cost them the title. Chelsea supporters must have loved the American's apparent Matrix-like ability to slow down time and keep United at bay because it's put them right back in with a shout. I'm sure I'm not alone when I ask the question; how on earth does this keep happening?

The New Paper received a letter this week from a very angry Chelsea fan upset at what he perceived to be a constant stream of negative reporting on his club. It's quite understandable, we all fight like lions to protect the honour of our team. Sadly though, as journalists, we can only report on what we see and speculate on what we hear and, in recent weeks, there haven't been a lot of positives at Stamford Bridge to comment on. The British tabloids went crazy this weekend reporting on the future of Grant (he doesn't have one), the row between Steve Clarke and Henk Ten Cate (they can't work together, apparently), Didier Drogba (he's off), Frank Lampard (him too), and the general feelings of the players towards their manager (they all hate him). Now, some of this might not be true, but all of it? If there's no fire, then where is all this smoke coming from? And yet Chelsea keep winning.

Their football is uninventive, but relentless. There's so much quality lying dormant in the side that it occasionally bubbles to the surface of its own accord. Michael Essien,. after 40 minutes of absolutely nothing happening at Goodison Park last week, suddenly picked up the ball on the halfway line and surged in on goal like a fugitive bull. Yes, he got a bit of luck with a deflection off Phil Jagielka, but he deserved it just for the endeavour. Joe Cole had a similar spell when he came off the bench at Wigan, tearing his opponents apart in a glorious 20 minute spell. Sometimes it's like they are winning in spite of the manager that we're told they hate. But they are winning.

Chelsea's greatest strength has been their ability to put inferior teams to the sword. As Arsenal showed, you can play gorgeous football, you can win at the San Siro, but if you can't beat Birmingham and Middlesbrough, you're not going to win any trophies. Chelsea are ruthless and composed. They rarely make mistakes, which is why there was so much surprise when they dropped points against Wigan. Whether it's some kind of Mourinho-conditioning left over or the apparent zen-like qualities of Grant, that's where they perform best. It's where they win.

I've spoken to Chelsea fans this week who are actually scared that they might win the title in case it means the retention of Grant. There was a similar syndrome for England fans under Steve McClaren. An innate knowledge that, despite the results, something, somewhere has gone very wrong. The next week will decide everything. Despite his victory over Arsenal, there is still a suspicion that Grant can't cut it against the big teams. But Grant wasn't supposed to be able to cut it against anyone. And yet he kept winning. Saturday will be very interesting indeed.

I've spoken to Chelsea fans this week who are actually scared that they might win the title in case it means the retention of Grant. There was a similar syndrome for England fans under Steve McClaren. An innate knowledge that, despite the results, something, somewhere has gone very wrong. The next week will decide everything. Despite his victory over Arsenal, there is still a suspicion that Grant can't cut it against the big teams. But Grant wasn't supposed to be able to cut it against anyone. And yet he kept winning. Saturday will be very interesting indeed.

I think teams underestimate Grant at their peril - any manager after Mourinho will have a tough job, but despite massive injury problems, Grant has a win ratio of 70.3% - Mourinho's was 70.81%.

He won't stay (who would?), he will go to Portugal perhaps, and Rijkaard will come in and Chelsea will drop to 4th or 5th where they belong.

Liverpool v Chelsea Champions League.

Tonight, for the third time in four years, Liverpool meet Chelsea in the semi-finals of the Champions League. Football’s most festering rivalry is back and the dirty war has already begun in earnest. There’s something very strange about the relationship between these two teams. They are separated by hundreds of miles and they’ve never raced against each other for the league title, but neither the clubs nor the fans can seem to get through these encounters without exchanging insults. I’ve covered over 40 live matches for the New Paper since October and I’ve only seen crowd violence outside the ground on two occasions, Chelsea against Liverpool in the League Cup and Chelsea against Liverpool in the League. They really don’t like each other.

Avram Grant kicked off proceedings this week by practically tapping up Steven Gerrard in front of the press. Gerrard, of course, twice tried to move to Chelsea during Jose Mourinho’s reign, changing his mind at the last minute. I doubt he’ll be so keen to join them now. Rafa Benitez responded by saying that he can’t really see much difference between old Chelsea and new Chelsea, apart from the fact that they probably have less spirit now. Even Jose Mourinho has been in on the act, taunting Benitez and saying that he will support all of his friends at Stamford Bridge. The players, the fans, Peter Kenyon and Roman Abramovich. I can’t help thinking he’s left someone out...

Cynics in Britain have suggested that this will be, like the previous two encounters, another dreadful display of anti-football from two of England’s most boring teams, but I think they’re missing the point. It’s never been all about what happens on the pitch. It’s the soap opera that accompanies them that makes this tie so extraordinary. It’s the images that you can never forget. Rafa Benitez sat cross-legged in the technical area. Mourinho’s face when he tried to insist that the best team had lost. Karma catching up with Eider Gudjonsson and Arjen Robben. It’s tremendous stuff.

Besides which, Liverpool have been playing a much more attractive game since Benitez stumbled across the perfect formation. In the first half of their league match against Arsenal, they played the Gunners off the park at their own game. Grant continues to insist that he is rolling out an offensive 4-3-3, and even if that doesn’t quite seem to be the case, it’s nice to know that the intention is there. I think this could be a lot more interesting than people think. Both Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard will return to the starting line-ups. Gerrard missed this weekend’s clash with a slight neck injury which has cleared up just in time for this match. Lampard’s problems were much more serious, he’s been at the bedside of his seriously ill mother.

Chelsea know that, for the first time, they have the advantage of playing the decisive second leg at home and that could be critical. Liverpool are fresh, experienced and eager to pick up a hat-trick of European victories over their opponents. It’s absolutely impossible to call this one, though that won’t stop me cementing myself to the bottom of the pundits league table by going for a Liverpool win. Strap yourselves in, this one could be something special.

I think the reason for Chelsea still being in the hunt for the Champions League (7/2) and League (13/2) is that their season, rather than individual performance, has had a superb tempo. Yes, they're astonishingly dull to watch at times but the value of winning 1-0 in a match where neither team does a lot is immeasurable. Their home record in the league is nothing short of phenomenal and should get at least as much mention as Arsenal's unbeaten season because of the improbability of it.

I honestly think Liverpool's recent form flatters to deceive having had one of the easiest combinations of matches to build their run on. Yes, they did win them all but this was ideal teams at ideal times. Still, you have to admire them at full flow with two players who can create match winning opportunities out of nothing.

In spite of the talent of Gerrard and Torres, they are coming up against the combination of relentless Terry and the bruising Carvalho who was excellent against Everton. To complement them, Cole is showing his better form at last and Ferreira has been solid recently. As long as the impudent and frankly irritating Mikel is ommitted to accomodate Makelele, I can see Chelsea going both legs without conceding. and think that they will win 2-0 on aggregate to prove by measure of success that Grant's class of 07/08 have been better than Mourinho's of 06/07.

Oh, actually, I forgot about Drogba. If he doesn't play it will undoubtedly be tighter but you have to imagine that Grant will do all he can to ensure he has his most potent threat.

Manchester United v Barcelona

Manchester United take on Barcelona tonight in what will certainly be the purist's choice of Champions League semi-finals. These are two teams packed full of world class players and devoted to playing the game in adventurous, swashbuckling fashion Unfortunately, only one of them is currently performing at anywhere near their potential.

Barcelona have failed to win in their last four games and prepared for this clash by playing out a dull draw with city rivals Espanyol. Despite Real Madrid's fluctuating form, they have allowed Bernd Schuster's team to claim their second successive title by barely offering up a challenge. If Schalke's strikers were any more accurate than a blind man with throwing knives, they wouldn't even have made it this far in Europe and there's a real sense of end-of-an-era over at the Camp Nou. Frank Riijkard has been the target of continual abuse from the stands and has to deal with daily speculation over the identity of his successor. These have not been ideal preparations.

However, before Manchester United fans start booking their flights to Moscow, there are two words which should make them think again. Lionel Messi. Never mind Cristiano Ronaldo, the tiny Argentine playmaker is the best player on the planet and he's fit again after another lay-off. He should start as part of a fearsome attacking three alongside Samuel Eto'o and either Thierry Henry or Bojan Krkic. Messi has the ability to do absolutely anything and if the prospect of watching him and Ronaldo on the same pitch doesn't make you excited that you can't sit still while reading this newspaper, you're watching the wrong sport.

United, of course, are having a few wobbles of their own and they were minutes away from being beaten at Ewood Park this weekend. Was it nerves, a rare off-day or simply an inspired performance from Brad Friedel? Two draws against the likes of Middlesbrough and Blackburn have shown their imperfections and given Barcelona hope that they can be beaten. Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, however, came through 90 minutes unscathed after minor injuries threatened to interfere with the season's run-in. This is obviously fantastic news for United fans as I think the prospect of Wes Brown and John O'Shea up against Messi and Eto'o would give them serious palpitations.

This is another game that is near-on impossible to call. It all depends which Barcelona walk out of the tunnel. If it's the exciting, confident Barcelona that we know is in there somewhere, then this may be too much for United. At the peak of their powers, there are few sides on earth that can compete with them. Unfortunately, this untapped potential is the reason why you can see Catalan fans tearing their hair out in clumps outside the stadium. If the Barcelona that I've had to watch in the last three months come trudging down the tunnel tonight, I can see them getting sent back into their dressing rooms 90 minutes later after suffering a humiliating and crushing defeat.

Slipper, I usually find myself nodding in agreement whilst reading your column, but in terms of Ronaldo vs Messi, I find myself quoting Hall & Oates. I can't go for that. In terms of pace, raw skill, vision, dribbling ability and touch, I can't separate them. Ronaldo definitely has the edge in terms of heading and physical strength. But where he walks away with my vote as the World's best Player is his leadership of both the Premiership and Champions' League goal scoring charts. This is an extraordinary feat for a player who does not play the majority of games as an out and out striker.

I do agree that this is a fascinating contest, and only the 'exciting, confident Barcelona' can possibly live with the English Champions. I can't say I have any love for them, or their scarlet faced cud chewing manager, but they combine flowing football with a ruthless killer instinct, and I rate them as the best club team I have seen since the 2038 Southend Team I managed in CM01/02 which won 8 trophies in a single season.

Slipper, I usually find myself nodding in agreement whilst reading your column, but in terms of Ronaldo vs Messi, I find myself quoting Hall & Oates. I can't go for that. In terms of pace, raw skill, vision, dribbling ability and touch, I can't separate them. Ronaldo definitely has the edge in terms of heading and physical strength. But where he walks away with my vote as the World's best Player is his leadership of both the Premiership and Champions' League goal scoring charts. This is an extraordinary feat for a player who does not play the majority of games as an out and out striker.

I do agree that this is a fascinating contest, and only the 'exciting, confident Barcelona' can possibly live with the English Champions. I can't say I have any love for them, or their scarlet faced cud chewing manager, but they combine flowing football with a ruthless killer instinct, and I rate them as the best club team I have seen since the 2038 Southend Team I managed in CM01/02 which won 8 trophies in a single season.

I think have the DVD of your Southend side somewhere actually. I save it for special occasions!

Don't get me wrong, I think Ronaldo is a magnificent player, but Messi is super-human. You watch his feet, they never make contact with the grass. He floats a centimetre above, powered by invisible thrusters. Not only is he ludicrously quick, but his feet keep up with his brain all the time, carressing the ball, coaxing it where he wants it to be. Ronaldo is superb, but sometimes unnecessarily tricksy. Messi just dazzles.

Ah, there's no real right answer. We'll find out tomorrow night!

I think have the DVD of your Southend side somewhere actually. I save it for special occasions!

Don't get me wrong, I think Ronaldo is a magnificent player, but Messi is super-human. You watch his feet, they never make contact with the grass. He floats a centimetre above, powered by invisible thrusters. Not only is he ludicrously quick, but his feet keep up with his brain all the time, carressing the ball, coaxing it where he wants it to be. Ronaldo is superb, but sometimes unnecessarily tricksy. Messi just dazzles.

Ah, there's no real right answer. We'll find out tomorrow night!

That DVD is a sought after item by friend, I trust it's the backdrop when you are working the Terry Thomas style magic chez Slipper.

In fairness, Ronaldo is surrounded by a more talented attacking cast, certainly in terms of their ability to create chances. Henry, Eto'o and Ronaldinho may sound ludicrously potent, but Tevez, Rooney and Anderson are the trio I would prefer if I were Ronaldo. However, if I were Ronaldo, I'd be out of mind on designer drugs in Gemma Atkinson's chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back