• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
The swelling band of English football clubs in crisis has a new member and it's my own team, Southend United. Late on Monday night, Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HRMC) cancelled a planned Winding Up Petition and elected to pursue an Administration instead. Put simply, the club were flicked out of the frying pan and into the fire, spared instant liquidation, but only for a short time. It means that in just under a week they are likely to be taken over by administrators and systematically stripped of their assets, namely the playing staff, until the debts are paid off. Unfortunately, the current Southend squad are unlikely to attract many big money offers.

Even more unfortunately, administration means the automatic deduction of ten points, a punishment that will hole Southend beneath the waterline and plunge them to the bottom of the table. An existing transfer embargo means that they will be unable to sign new players, which is something of a shame because, at the time of press, they only had 12 fit senior professionals, two of whom are goalkeepers. If the administration is rubber-stamped next Wednesday, Southend United will almost certainly be relegated to the basement division at the end of the season. This time almost three years ago, they had just beaten Manchester United in the League Cup and were in the second flight alongside the likes of Hull City and Sunderland. The supporters, it has to be said, are more than a little bit miffed about the way things have panned out.

Southend's chairman Ron Martin claims that the club's problems are directly linked to the wider economic crisis, and he may be right, but the Premier League has played its part too. The enormous gulf between the haves and the have-nots has encouraged too many teams to 'chase the dream' of top flight football and it has made it even harder for the teams left behind in the lower leagues to survive. Neither faction can be pleased with the outcome.

Portsmouth only just escaped financial meltdown after it transpired that Harry Redknapp and Peter Storrie, under former owner Alexandre Gaydamak, had built the team on a slippery foundation of debt. Deft dealings by Storrie and two takeovers in quick succession chased the wolf from the door, but given that the new owners have been quoted as saying that they're only there for the short-term, the Portsmouth fans shouldn't relax yet. Their reckless pursuit of glory in the world's most expensive league may still come back to haunt them. Leeds United, of course, collapsed under their own stupidity when they failed to qualify for the Champions League in 2002 and years of chronic mis-management did for former Premier League stalwarts Southampton last season when they entered administration, leaving them to start this campaign with a 10 point penalty.

The continuing preoccupation with televised Premier League games has turned many fans off their local football teams. Clubs like Bury, Macclesfield and Chester, who narrowly avoided liquidation this week, are so close to Liverpool and Manchester that many potential fans are lured away. But you don't have to be based close to Anfield to feel the pinch. "There's probably as many Liverpool and Manchester United fans in this town as there are of us," complained one Southend supporter. "They're not bothered that they can't get tickets, they just watch the games in the pub."

Southend are one of just two league teams in the county of Essex, a heavily populated and highly affluent area of the country. Their only neighbours, Colchester United, are an even less fashionable outfit and are based 25 miles away. The reasons for Southend's crisis may be unclear for the moment, but the fact that a club with this much potential can slither to the brink of extinction should make the original supporters of the cash-guzzling Premier League feel distinctly uncomfortable.

Top class. If we are forced to sell our playing staff then we may have to play our under 18s .

Well said Slip, let's hope some rich Singapore dude comes back with the offer of a shed load of money!

That's the plan. I've tried to be subtle, but it's basically a cry for help!

I wonder if I can get someone in the family to put the word out, what publication does it go into? Trouble is, all the home links are on hols atm, but I can certainly try! Think one of them out there is very high up in Amway of all things!

It will go in 'The New Paper' on Thursday. Well, a cleaned up version will anyway, that's just the first draft. I'll give it a scrub tomorrow morning with a fresh head. I just wanted to get some feedback before I head off to the Tottenham game tonight.

Good piece, We could sure use the help! I have a similar piece that I wrote a while ago, more focusing around the likes of Cambridge, Oxford and Luton that i've been meaning to post for a while. I'm making some additions to make it more contemporary and I'll get it up this evening.

Great read Slip. Didn't Southampton start this season with a 15 point penalty though?

Will get started on some Singapore gear to welcome the new owner asap!

That's the plan. I've tried to be subtle, but it's basically a cry for help!

If thats the case, may be worth adding that planning permission is in place for a 22,000 seater stadium with retail park etc.:slurp:

If thats the case, may be worth adding that planning permission is in place for a 22,000 seater stadium with retail park etc.:slurp:
Yes definitely - just the sort of carrot to dangle before an intrepid business man rides in on his white charger!

Incidentally, another thought, you could remind them of that magic moment when we beat Man U being as the Hearing is actually scheduled just a few days before Freddy day? I'm pretty sure a lot of them watched it didn't they?

Last edited:
That's a very good read (hope you don't mind me popping in as a Southampton fan)

I want to wish you all the best, having just been through the same process ourselves, administration is a messy drawn out process, which can drag the club and it's history through the mud.

Not many people know this, but we were under 24 hours away from extinction, the chains were ready to go onto the gates and officials within the club were consulting with the blue square league(s) - it was that close.

We were only saved by a 500k payment from a wealthy fan, which helped one of the interested parties into an 'exclusivity period'. As you probably know - that was the Matt Le Tiss group, which didn't happen for many reasons. (it would take me a day to write up the mess of that bid)

We came very close to going out of business again after that bid didn't come to fruition - and only the sale of McGoldrick and Surman bought us a bit more time.

We have been very lucky to end up with what we have though, extremely lucky - but it is a frightening example of how traditional English clubs can teeter so close to the brink.

All the best guys, hope you come out with the ending that you all want.

If you're interested, some views from us saints -

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17547

It's a pity a mention couldn't be made of Stan Collymore's views regarding relegation, which if such a thing happened would lead from a trickle of clubs going into administration into a flood of them.

The irony of an ex-Southend idol saying this on the brink of our plunge into administation isn't lost on us and nor would it be, I suspect, to your readership.

That's a very good read (hope you don't mind me popping in as a Southampton fan)

I want to wish you all the best, having just been through the same process ourselves, administration is a messy drawn out process, which can drag the club and it's history through the mud.

Not many people know this, but we were under 24 hours away from extinction, the chains were ready to go onto the gates and officials within the club were consulting with the blue square league(s) - it was that close.

We were only saved by a 500k payment from a wealthy fan, which helped one of the interested parties into an 'exclusivity period'. As you probably know - that was the Matt Le Tiss group, which didn't happen for many reasons. (it would take me a day to write up the mess of that bid)

We came very close to going out of business again after that bid didn't come to fruition - and only the sale of McGoldrick and Surman bought us a bit more time.

We have been very lucky to end up with what we have though, extremely lucky - but it is a frightening example of how traditional English clubs can teeter so close to the brink.

All the best guys, hope you come out with the ending that you all want.

If you're interested, some views from us saints -

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17547

Agreed but the one thing that you had was assets. We have very few and don't even own our stadium. How much we'd get for almost any of our first team squad is very questionable and even more so with the club known to be in deep financial ****. I'd like to share your optimism but I just can't see it. :(

Of course not! Sensible opposition fans always welcome here :clap:

I was actually at Hayes & Yeading vs Eastleigh back in May (Conference South play-offs) and the Eastleigh fans were buzzing about potentially playing you guys in 2009/10, especially after they won their first leg 4-2 away from home. Didn't quite work out for them...

Back