• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

In fairness that's not the case away from home. Our performances at Newport, Cambridge, FGR, Cheltenham, Oldham, Scunthorpe and Harrogate showed a gutsy team who are behind the manager and able to dig out results. 12 points from a possible 21 there.

At home we are utterly hopeless and that's where MM deserves some blame. Our game plan works more effectively in away matches because the opposition defence plays higher up the pitch, so playing direct football or knocking the ball over the top allows us to put more pressure on the opposition and squeeze higher up the pitch. At home the opposition defence sits a bit deeper and any ball over the top is either lapped up by the keeper or is comfortably nodded back.

If we have to play the direct game at home and/or go over the top, we need to spray the ball wide, meaning the defender has to either put it out for a throw or corner, pass the ball blindly up the line, or play the ball back to his keeper using his feet so the keeper isn't able to pick it up. We need a plan B to put the opposition under pressure. We are horribly predictable. Of course we could try passing it...

Today was beyond useless, possibly our worst performance of the season. We started nervously and only started to wake up after their first goal. Then the penalty that probably wasn't - Akinola collapsed theatrically and I'm not sure there was any contact. It was obvious he was going to miss as soon as he ambled up to the ball. If the keeper goes the wrong way it looks cool, calm and collected. If he goes the right way, it looks clumsy, calamitous and careless. Generally I like Akinola - he works hard, is good in the air and has a good first touch - but that penalty was unacceptable and I can't understand why Demi or ANG didn't take it.

And that was that. If we had gone in level at half-time we would have been able to manage the second half more calmly but we were clueless and showed no composure at all.

Carlisle do deserve credit. They were a constant threat in attack and clearly their midweek win injected much-needed confidence to get back on track after a very dodgy run. Their second goal was classy and you only have to look at the fact that he was only a sub to reflect the massive gap in quality.

I'm still behind MM but next season it will be his team and that's when I'll start judging him properly.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!

"next season it will be his team"

oh no .... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

no no no no ..

this cannot be real ...

We will probably go down. Will someone tell me how long it took Luton, a club we would agree is bigger than us, to come back up. That's the reality we face
Luton went down 09/ 2010 promoted end of 2013/ 14 season. Also not only a bigger club but when they went down there was a solid plan to get them in good financial shape to get back up! That certainly isn't us. We will do a Torquay or a Stockport tbh

Luton went down 09/ 2010 promoted end of 2013/ 14 season. Also not only a bigger club but when they went down there was a solid plan to get them in good financial shape to get back up! That certainly isn't us. We will do a Torquay or a Stockport tbh
I think you could be right. The financial implications of getting relegated would test a financially stable club let alone a club which is riddled with debt like us.
If, as seems likely that we do go down then I can see us being in the Conference(if not worse) for some time.

I waited a couple of hours today before posting anything, as after watching games like that I find it difficult to give a balanced view and as I’m sure you’ll agree we’ve had more than enough ‘off days’ this season.

Two macro points - I’m a big MM fan. Generally have been happy to dismiss those posters who have called for his head as not seeing the bigger picture. However, today I dug out the stats -feel free to correct me if they are wrong, but I don’t think they are. I’ve discounted everything up to 1st JAN 2021 as it’s my belief that Ron is responsible for the first half of the season (late appointment/embargo). So I believe it’s only fair and balanced to judge MM from the start of January, when in my opinion he had the nucleus of a competitive squad of senior pros (not the u23’s). Here’s the record:

Played: 19
Won: 4
Drawn: 7
Lost: 8
GF: 10
GA: 19
Clean Sheets: 9

It has to be said, not impressive reading. Looking at these numbers were the first time I’ve lost a bit of faith in the manager. I’m still of the opinion that he is the right man to take us forward - I trust my gut on that, but my goodness that record needs to improve. That form, even replicated in the first half of the season, is still nowhere near it.

Second point would be that I feel today’s performance was finally one ‘off day’ too many. I’m not talking about games like Scunthorpe or Oldham, where we were in the games but didn’t take opportunities to win the game. I’m talking about the games against Port Vale and Tranmere where we didn’t look likely from the first whistle. I think it’ll be games like today that will deservedly take us into non league next season (I hope I’m wrong of course and it’s not over until it’s over).

On finer points; if your going take a penalty like that, you’d better make sure you score. If you put yourself forwards to take set plays, you better beat the first man. And last, but by no means least, if you are an attacking player in a side devoid of goals, you’d better take some responsibility and at least apply some shots on target in a 90 minute match.

There are still points to play for, still opportunities for change and miracles can happen. But they are running out fast.

I waited a couple of hours today before posting anything, as after watching games like that I find it difficult to give a balanced view and as I’m sure you’ll agree we’ve had more than enough ‘off days’ this season.

Two macro points - I’m a big MM fan. Generally have been happy to dismiss those posters who have called for his head as not seeing the bigger picture. However, today I dug out the stats -feel free to correct me if they are wrong, but I don’t think they are. I’ve discounted everything up to 1st JAN 2021 as it’s my belief that Ron is responsible for the first half of the season (late appointment/embargo). So I believe it’s only fair and balanced to judge MM from the start of January, when in my opinion he had the nucleus of a competitive squad of senior pros (not the u23’s). Here’s the record:

Played: 19
Won: 4
Drawn: 7
Lost: 8
GF: 10
GA: 19
Clean Sheets: 9

It has to be said, not impressive reading. Looking at these numbers were the first time I’ve lost a bit of faith in the manager. I’m still of the opinion that he is the right man to take us forward - I trust my gut on that, but my goodness that record needs to improve. That form, even replicated in the first half of the season, is still nowhere near it.

Second point would be that I feel today’s performance was finally one ‘off day’ too many. I’m not talking about games like Scunthorpe or Oldham, where we were in the games but didn’t take opportunities to win the game. I’m talking about the games against Port Vale and Tranmere where we didn’t look likely from the first whistle. I think it’ll be games like today that will deservedly take us into non league next season (I hope I’m wrong of course and it’s not over until it’s over).

On finer points; if your going take a penalty like that, you’d better make sure you score. If you put yourself forwards to take set plays, you better beat the first man. And last, but by no means least, if you are an attacking player in a side devoid of goals, you’d better take some responsibility and at least apply some shots on target in a 90 minute match.

There are still points to play for, still opportunities for change and miracles can happen. But they are running out fast.

Firstly, good post. I would like to know why you believe MM is the right man for the job though. It’s easy to come on here and say “MM in” or “out’ but very few actually give reasons as to why they belong to those sides of the argument.

I am so annoyed at that abject performance . MM should hang his head in shame for presenting a Southend United team to us so ill disciplined, so bereft of passion and so lacking in intensity. I get that we haven’t got the best quality players but if the players playing today had even half the passion of our shrimperzone site then we would be comfortably clear of what is surely our inevitable fate. Sure I’ll still support the team whatever but this failure could and should have been easily avoided.

Firstly, good post. I would like to know why you believe MM is the right man for the job though. It’s easy to come on here and say “MM in” or “out’ but very few actually give reasons as to why they belong to those sides of the argument.

Surely the reasons ie the results become more apparent every week as we slide inevitably to relegation and loss of our league status for the the first time ever in our history?

I think most of the fault for this season lays with Ron but MM's subs today made absolutely no sense. Acquah was playing well for us yet he inexplicably got replaced with Holmes, who very clearly is not a target man and basically spent 30 minutes watching balls fly over his head. I know we lack a goalscorer but sticking a midfielder up front and hoping for the best is extremely desperate. I hope Olayinka isn't badly injured because we only seem capable of looking like a real football team when he's on the pitch.
It's not just todays games his subs havent made sense,its been all season!! The guy ain't got a clue.

Surely the reasons ie the results become more apparent every week as we slide inevitably to relegation and loss of our league status for the the first time ever in our history?

Preaching to the choir mate, I’m in the belief that MM should go, tonight preferably. Just interested to know why some still think he is the man for the job. What they’ve seen that I, we haven’t.

I really feel cheated ...over 40 years of watching my beloved sufc .a club I chose to follow all them years ago as local and did not want to follow a team I never watched .I have said before as sufc fans we dont expect cup finals ..championships ...but we expect fight ..passion..effort ..to be honest I have not seen a worse team representing this borough in all my years ..what are the reasons ? ...I dont know all i know is a deep sadness at what my sufc has become

Only two players emerged with any credit today - Ashley Nathaniel-George and Tom Clifford, with ANG MOTM by a very clear margin..

I don't understand why the manager keeps sticking with the same formula - we actually looked threatening last week when Elvis came on and was running at the forwards because Elvis is one of those characters who will always give his all. Putting on a RB for a RB in a must win match that we were losing, was simply baffling.

Why does Molesley persist in dragging every player back all the time? It's just counter productive!

Why on earth did we all bother with those motivational messages because most of those players looked as if they don't give a rat's arse?

Matt Rush simply must be included from now on, here's a player in form and scoring for fun, which is something we don't look like doing if we played as we are till the end of the season.

Akinola's penalty was dreadful - I could have done better! Why he took it above Demetriou (who is - as far as we know - our designated penalty taker) and ANG who took and scored our most recent I am looking forward to hearing.

Absolutely furious with that performance today - you might expect that if we've nothing to play for but we're fighting for our lives.

Shocking.
Sorry disagree with u regarding matt rush!! He always scores for the under 23s because it's the under 23s!! Hes been given chances in the first team and not delivered when given a first team chance! Hes not good enough ! I recall him missing a few sitters.His level is the 23s that's why he is there!!

Back