• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It was reported they needed to give Timlin a couple more games - well, he's had a couple, depends whether they actually mean a couple or more. I think we're missing him big time. I am not a fan of Deegan, Timlin and Leonard together though, it makes us too narrow, the same as it does with Atkinson. Would much prefer two CMs and two proper wingers, one each side.

Personally, I'd be tempted to change both Thompson and Barrett for Bolger and Prosser! I guess that depends on whether a loan deal may have already been agreed for Prosser.
Tend too agree,Can't see the spine of the team changed by PB however in such a way.
But if so would you also throw Ted into the equation?

Very rare that I leave a game early but even I left a few minutes before the final whistle (partly to avoid the Millwall mob). We were just outfought and outplayed today. We were slow and second to every loose ball and Millwall looked like scoring every time they went forward, a very good away performance from them. I know it's easy to say in hindsight but Brown's stubborn refusal to change a winning team may have cost us again. Millwall made four changes to their team and they looked a lot fresher and sharper. It's not like we have a thin squad as we have done in recent years. Prosser, Deegan, McLaughlin. I was going to add Pigott to that list but I suspect he won't be with us for much longer. Hunt clearly isn't 100% and two games in three days is a lot for Barrett at his age. Hard to pick a man of the match but I'd probably say Leonard, the only player who seemed to have the energy and tried to make things happen. Bentley had a bit of a mare and was getting a lot of stick from the away fans but hopefully he'll come back stronger. Banter between the West and Millwall fans was more entertaining than the game.

Anyway, put it down as a bad day at the office and credit to Millwall. To be 7th at the halfway point in the season is excellent.

Very rare that I leave a game early but even I left a few minutes before the final whistle (partly to avoid the Millwall mob). Banter between the West and Millwall fans was more entertaining than the game.

I'm sure some will say that there was a bit of afters today, but on the way to the ground passing the Blue Boar everyone was getting on ok and there was no trouble that I saw. Afterwards getting out of the West after the final whistle took an age and the walk down Shakespeare Drive to the car took us straight into the Millwall crowd clearing the North Bank. Again they were as good as gold for us as we walked along with them. Probably the 1o ft tall policemen in boiler suits and big sticks had some effect on crowd control but overall I was surprised how placid everything was. Obviously winning 4-0 may have helped as well.

At the end of the day we had a very poor show today .But instead of slating the team or Phil brown .I will think back to the high of boxing day . After all we are still 7th going into the new year and I feel most of you will take that as a plus .Yes we had a blank day today but if you are going to pump high ball into the land of the giants you are asking for every thing you get . But just rember we beat them at the new den earlier this season . But they have picked up, since then . We wont get beat 4 0 every game so just put this down to a bad day at the office .

Tend too agree,Can't see the spine of the team changed by PB however in such a way.
But if so would you also throw Ted into the equation?
No, Ted isn't ready. Probably should have spent some time out on loan but that's difficult when he is the only sub keeper we have, can't really see Paul ever taking up the gloves in a match again.

I knew it might be a bad day when I had to sit outside the Next shop for 30 minutes whilst Mrs RHB browsed. A very good sized crowd was not matched by a first half performance where we were out run and out thought for the whole 45 minutes. Were some of the players knackered after the last two games? maybe, but we certainly left our pride in the dressing room during that first 45 minutes. It doesn't happen very often but Thompson and Barrett were given a severe run around by the Millwall forwards, Coker did not look 100% and John White was probably the only defender to maintain some sort of reputation.

Up front we were bereft of ideas and the ball seemed to be in the air far more that it was on the ground, but both sides were guilty of that. I thought Lenny had a reasonable half but the rest of them, possibly with the exception of Payne, were in the pants division.

Second half with the intro of Deegan and Mclaughlin at least introduced a bit more fight but precious little else in the way of goal threat. A bloke behind me was constantly calling for Joe Pigott to be bought on and PB duly obliged, replacing Hunt. He huffed and puffed but truthfully, I think maybe Charlton beckons for him. All in all a really miserable afternoon B/H feast for the Southend contingent of the 10,000+ crowd. Much as it pains me to say it, the Millwall support was very impressive, behind the side the whole 90 minutes (not difficult when you are winning 4-0) and it looked as if they all stood for the whole match as well! Will I take Mrs RHB again after she jinxed this game? I just don't know, although she had the lino in front of the West stand sussed when she questioned his ability with his right hand action (that surprised me as I didn't think she knew that word). Finally a word praise for TBV, I thought they did well today in the face of some lively Millwall competition. Oh well, onwards and upwards towards Donny.

John White gifted them goals number 1 and 3 with two of the worst clearances he's ever done.

i couldn't come to today's game because I had to go to work. Bank holiday Monday at the office wasn't much fun, but it seems like it was more fun than Southend and everyone else were having at theirs.

Here's hoping it winds the team up to play a blinder on Saturday.

i also think Barrett has been showing his age recently. whilst he's been doing well i think this may well be his last season so we should enjoy and treasure him while we can.

i really hope there's a role for him when he finishes. absolute legend

We were bullied the whole game today and the main culprit was Morison. AB and Thomson couldn't cope with him. Decent striker at this level and the sort of player we could with once we send Piggot packing....

Think today had been waiting to happen for a while. A wake up call for all. Bentley is beginning to think he is better than he is and really does need to command his 6 yard box and then his penalty area. he is still very much a work in progress. Thompson has been outstanding since he got back into the side. If there are contract issues then let us get it sorted quickly. Barrett on todays performance may be reaching the end of the road. I still don't believe Payne is very effective in a four man midfield. Really feel he has come on as a player but he needs to be given a free role. Brown needs to decide whether he thinks Payne is good enough and if he is let him select a side that suits Payne's strengths.
All in all though a great 2015 so I am not going to let one really poor performance cloud that.

Here's my opinion, for what its worth. Todays horror show had little to do with PB's team selection or tactics, or Neil Harris's management. I believe it was due to the players not being able to get themselves up for the game less than 48 hours after Colchester. Everyone saw the passion from the team on Saturday, and to come down from that and go with the same intensity today proved too much.
I'll admit that I wanted a couple of changes, but you can understand not wanting to upset a winning team, one that demolished Bury little over a week ago. I also didn't think that Millwall were that good, I thought Colchester and Bury were both better than Millwall, and any team from the National League upwards would have beaten us today.
A few days rest, erase today from the memory, and back again on Saturday to push into the play offs.
Finally, anybody that thinks we could do better than PB at the moment is dreaming. if you read other fans forums a common theme is that PB has out thought their manager, and although most other fans like a pop at Phil the vast majority are realising that he actually does know what he's doing.

i also think Barrett has been showing his age recently. whilst he's been doing well i think this may well be his last season so we should enjoy and treasure him while we can.

i really hope there's a role for him when he finishes. absolute legend

Sadly, I think you are right.

We were bullied the whole game today and the main culprit was Morison. AB and Thomson couldn't cope with him. Decent striker at this level and the sort of player we could with once we send Piggot packing....

totally agree with that but i doubt we can afford someone as good as Morison, he's class. Hunt is probably the best we can do and i'd be surprised if we can afford another.
similar type would be nice but it'll have to be someone on the way up we take a chance on

Think today had been waiting to happen for a while. A wake up call for all. Bentley is beginning to think he is better than he is and really does need to command his 6 yard box and then his penalty area. he is still very much a work in progress.

All in all though a great 2015 so I am not going to let one really poor performance cloud that.

totally agree on Bentley. he has played well at times but has been a bit inconsistent too. i can see why people weren't willing to pay the sort of money that we wanted for him. another season at this level would probably do him the world of good but he's far from being one of the best in this division on recent showings

2015 started and ended with some fairly grim home performances, but between them it's been a magical year supporting Southend

Here's my opinion, for what its worth. Todays horror show had little to do with PB's team selection or tactics, or Neil Harris's management. I believe it was due to the players not being able to get themselves up for the game less than 48 hours after Colchester. Everyone saw the passion from the team on Saturday, and to come down from that and go with the same intensity today proved too much.
I'll admit that I wanted a couple of changes, but you can understand not wanting to upset a winning team, one that demolished Bury little over a week ago. I also didn't think that Millwall were that good, I thought Colchester and Bury were both better than Millwall, and any team from the National League upwards would have beaten us today.
A few days rest, erase today from the memory, and back again on Saturday to push into the play offs.
Finally, anybody that thinks we could do better than PB at the moment is dreaming. if you read other fans forums a common theme is that PB has out thought their manager, and although most other fans like a pop at Phil the vast majority are realising that he actually does know what he's doing.

i wondered the same thing, even with a packed house and a great atmosphere maybe putting so much into the Boxing Day derby meant we were too drained today

Some of us can remember Boxing Day 1987 when we lost 4-0 at home against Northampton. Eight were booked, two sent off and one of the players sent off was SUFC legend Roy McDonough.

Seriously guys, get over it. We did in 1987 and we can today.

Worst I've seen us play in more than five years, probably since Gills away in the relegation season.

However if it gets Brown to ponder a need to play the next game rather than the last it will be worth it. Saturday clearly took a lot out of the players and we have a good quality squad. Things should have been freshened up.

Oh well. As a previous poster said, we've had a fantastic 2015. Today was just totally awful but as long as we learn from it, I can accept it as a bad day at the office.

Some of us can remember Boxing Day 1987 when we lost 4-0 at home against Northampton. Eight were booked, two sent off and one of the players sent off was SUFC legend Roy McDonough.

Seriously guys, get over it. We did in 1987 and we can today.

And we were promoted .:happy:

Back