• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steve McClaren In Disguise

I really just wish some-one would come up witha name for a replacement.....

I say Jose Mourinho - the only other name I have seen come up is....... who the effing hell is Simpson ?

No thanks - I don't want a Prem****e reject or some been round the block 3 times and failed to55er -

no its all ridiculous - until we are dealing with some sort of failure its Steve Tilson all the way -

even seeing this thread up really pi55es me off -

Tilson would have done a far better job than win nothing ever MacClaren -

McClaren won the League Cup and Simpson has never managed in the Premier League.

Mel,you have to realise that this club is being shaken to it's core right now.
You think that things are going stagnant after the recent highs,well that was always going to happen!
When T+B took over we were facing financial ruin and for the fans to stare at the Conference and think that could be us in a couple of months brings home stark reality.
For that alone,if Tilson wishes to be top earner then he's fcuking deserved it more than any other at the club.

Now,i look at the relatively successful yoof team,i look at the quality in our reserve team,i look at the quality on our bench,i look at the ambition of the club's owner and of course the rubber-stamped 22,000 seater we will soon get the go-ahead for.

T+B have once again brought in quality,young players who will stay with the club for a while.Hungry players like Barnard and Macdonald,Scannel and Bailey.
I suspect the 'keeper we bought will replace both Flavs and Collis soon.

So come on,there IS significant progress and change at the club,they haven't just sp*nked all their money at the Championsh1te dream and in my eyes our club is on much better foundation.But listen,T+B WILL proceed to take this club forward but only with our support.

Very well said, 100% agree.

Also in reply to RC's reply to my earlier post, I do agree with most of your points and yes I do agree that mistakes were made last season and we could have stayed up with better tactics, substitutions at critical times, etc etc. My point was that we were kind of caught like a rabbit in headlights as we just hadn't in our wildest dreams expected to be there. It was a massively steep learning curve for the entire management team, including RM, and we mustn't waste that experience. As S&2V says above, this season was always going to be about consolidation without many of the thrills we've had in the past few years.

In many ways this is the season we thought we'd have, & would have been happy with (!!) after we went up from League 2.

Much as no individual is bigger than the club, I certainly don't think we are anywhere near the point that we should be considering who the job should be offered to next! As someone else said, be careful what you ask for...

Even now we're probably punching above our weight.

(and sorry, i'll try & keep future posts shorter!!)

Hi Rob,
This subject is a delicate one and its hard to find much to argue with in both yours and RC's posts. Albeit from different corners! However, I dont agree that we are 'punching above our weight' in this division. I'm pretty sure that we are in the top 6 for average attendances and subsiquently could be considered to be one of the bigger fish in this particular pond.

Hi Rob,
This subject is a delicate one and its hard to find much to argue with in both yours and RC's posts. Albeit from different corners! However, I dont agree that we are 'punching above our weight' in this division. I'm pretty sure that we are in the top 6 for average attendances and subsiquently could be considered to be one of the bigger fish in this particular pond.

Hi Biffo
Ok fair point we probably are one of the slightly bigger clubs in terms of attendances & stable finances currently in this division, but I still feel we have been a bit spoiled by our unnexpected one-season-fantasy-world trip to the Championship and many fans seem to have lost a sense of perspective regarding our place in the general scheme of things.

Anyway my original post was in response to the (in my opinion) ridiculous calls for T&B to be replaced, and I'm pleased to see most people who have posted in this thread seem to agree even if we take a different view on how things have been / should be done at times.

If we want a new manager, his CV must have .......

1.) record of winning promotion .....
2.) reaching the Cup final at Cardiff/Wembley
3.) had some good cup run e.g. beating Man Utd
4.) giving non-league players an chance
5.) Clubs get profits on cup run, promotion and news fans base
6.) keeping clubs running well within budget
7.) saving a club from relegation

Any manager who got good record with their club, PLEASE PUT A MANAGER ON THIS TOPIC!

This is not a knee-jerk reaction but something that has been building for many many months. I believe that its time Tilly and his staff moved on and passed the reigns to a fresh face. Having taken the plaudits and praise for a few good seasons (and being rewarded with a new contract) it has become increasingly more evident that Tilson has limited ability when it comes to building continuity and strengthening the side. More importantly the style of fottball has become woeful hoof it up as the first half against Barnsley showed. Lob it forward to the 2 dwarfs and see what happens.
I for one am sick and tired of seeing him standing against the dug out making notes on a piece of paper whilst showing no animation or emotion whatsoever.
There are many other issues which I would like to state about Tilson's management but would first like to hear of those who agree or counter arguements.
I am a true supporter of many years but put the club first before blind faith and loyalty to a hierarchy that are no longer taking this club forward.

AGREED 110% :p

Glad i'm not the only one thinking this!

No,you are the only two thinking this:p

I reckon there are more thinking this that are just too afraid to speak out on the issue.

I wouldn't mind losing if we actually play well and see good attacking football, can't say ive seen any this season.

The £340 on a season card this season doesn't represent good value for money based on what decent football i've seen this term.

I reckon there are more thinking this that are just too afraid to speak out on the issue.

I wouldn't mind losing if we actually play well and see good attacking football, can't say ive seen any this season.

The £340 on a season card this season doesn't represent good value for money based on what decent football i've seen this term.

Am I alone in thinking that we play decent football?

Where were you under Alan Little's negative football, Alvin Martin's sideways and backwards football, Colin Murphy's long ball, Rob Newman's didn't quite know what to do football?

We are one of the leading scorers in the division, we try and keep the ball on the deck. What more do you want?

Am I alone in thinking that we play decent football?

Where were you under Alan Little's negative football, Alvin Martin's sideways and backwards football, Colin Murphy's long ball, Rob Newman's didn't quite know what to do football?

We are one of the leading scorers in the division, we try and keep the ball on the deck. What more do you want?

I have seen all the era's you mention above. Just think the whole squad and tactics need shaking up and a starting afresh.

It's ok being high scorers, but that doesn't always mean success.

We havent played well this season, however against Yeovil, Bournemouth and Barnsley we have been playing much better.

We need to be more dangerous in the final third but Ive still been pleased with the improvement.

TTK, if you think theres lots of people out there who are on your wavelength who are scared to talk out your are deluded. This is a forum where people have anonymity and can post what they like.

The truth is a few people agree with you and the rest just see you as an extremely negative person who only ever comes on here when we arent playing well.....

I have seen all the era's you mention above. Just think the whole squad and tactics need shaking up and a starting afresh.

It's ok being high scorers, but that doesn't always mean success.

Come on then, lets here it, what formation do you think we should play, is 442 not whats needed ?
Lets here some constructive criticism and suggestions rather than just normal complaining....

Come on then, lets here it, what formation do you think we should play, is 442 not whats needed ?
Lets here some constructive criticism and suggestions rather than just normal complaining....

I like 4-4-2 but the style we played under Barry Fry with two out and out attacking wingers ala Otto and J.Hunt. Or The Webb era of 4-4-2 with Ansah and Tilson on the wing.

Surely Scannell deserves to start a game.

I'm miffed at the length of time Tilson has persevered with right footed Gower on the left wing.

I'd love to see good attacking football return, just like the era's i mentioned above.

A winger that can actually take on and beat his man would be good.

Thats hardly shaking it up and starting fresh :), just adding one winger.

You put Gower on the right and his goals disappear.

Do you not think Francis has given us some decent width since his returrn, if admittedly he doesnt have that tricky winger skillset?

Scannell isnt fit enough for a full game yet, a subs appearance is perfect when his fitness is against tired legs. He does need more than 5 minutes though....

Last edited:
I like 4-4-2 but the style we played under Barry Fry with two out and out attacking wingers ala Otto and J.Hunt. Or The Webb era of 4-4-2 with Ansah and Tilson on the wing.

Surely Scannell deserves to start a game.

I'm miffed at the length of time Tilson has persevered with right footed Gower on the left wing.

I'd love to see good attacking football return, just like the era's i mentioned above.

A winger that can actually take on and beat his man would be good.

Neither Tilson nor Hunt were out and out attacking wingers. In fact was Hunt left-footed? If he was, he'd have been playing on the wrong wing.....

Back