• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Be careful what you wish for.

We have not changed managers at the end of the season very often, even less if we have not been relegated. With the exception of Bobby Moore quitting and SUFC winning promotion the next year, we have not (since 1970) finshed higher the season after changing managers at the end of the season

SUFC Managerial Changes at the end of a season
Tilly Relegated then Sacked...

Whelan May 97 (Championship)- Relegated then Sacked - Next season Relegated again

Thomson May 95 (Championship)- Finished the season in 13th but left to go to Notts county - next season Finished 14th

Webb (2nd spell) May 92(Championship)- Got us top of teir 2 then put his notice in Left athe end of the season when we were 12th - next season finished 18th after Fry Collymore saved us from Murphy...

Moore 86 - League 2 Finished 9th and quit - Dave Webb was appointed

Dave Smith 83 League 1 - Finished 15th Sacked - Replaced by Morris , then Moore and Relegated the next season

Arthur Rowley 76 Sacked after Relegation from League 1 - Appointed Dave Smith Next season 10th

In addition Paul Clark was Caretaker in 87 and was not given the full time job at the end of the season despite getting promotion his replacement .....DICK BATE

Edited for accuracy

This club has no Devine right to win promotion yet some of you expect miracles from the manager,Yeah let's sack PS and get in another guy who will no doubt change the squad and back room staff and probably struggle with results which leads to further turmoil.

I would give PS another season and if he cannot get the club into the play offs,Then he has had a fair go at it.

This club has no Devine right to win promotion yet some of you expect miracles from the manager,Yeah let's sack PS and get in another guy who will no doubt change the squad and back room staff and probably struggle with results which leads to further turmoil.

I would give PS another season and if he cannot get the club into the play offs,Then he has had a fair go at it.

I dont think we have a devine right to be promoted but I do kind of expect to be enterained or to at least feel the there is some fighting spirit out there. I dont expect to be steam rollered by three of the worst sides in the league at Roots Hall and I do expect us to improve under the same manager compared to the previous season. None of the above we have done or shown this season.

I dont think we have a devine right to be promoted but I do kind of expect to be enterained or to at least feel the there is some fighting spirit out there. I dont expect to be steam rollered by three of the worst sides in the league at Roots Hall and I do expect us to improve under the same manager compared to the previous season. None of the above we have done or shown this season.

Our downfall has been home form,The lads look nervous and no wonder when some fans scream vile abuse at them.

i wrote on here a few months back that the abuse was not helping,How can we expect the players to run through brick walls whilst they are slated by grandstanders is beyond me.

Be careful what you wish for.

We have not changed managers at the end of the season very often, even less if we have not been relegated. With the exception of Bobby Moore quitting and SUFC winning promotion the next year, we have not (since 1970) finshed higher the season after changing managers at the end of the season

SUFC Managerial Changes at the end of a season
Tilly Relegated then Sacked...

Whelan May 97 (Championship)- Relegated then Sacked - Next season Relegated again

Thomson May 95 (Championship)- Finished the season in 13th but left to go to Notts county - next season Finished 14th

Webb (2nd spell) May 92(Championship)- Got us top of teir 2 then put his notice in Left athe end of the season when we were 12th - next season finished 18th after Fry saved us from Murphy...

Moore 86 - League 2 Finished 9th and quit - Dave Webb was appointed

Dave Smith 83 League 1 - Finished 15th Sacked - Replaced by Morris , then Moore and Relegated the next season

Arthur Rowley 76 Sacked after Relegation from League 1 - Appointed Dave Smith Next season 10th

In addition Paul Clark was Caretaker in 87 and was not given the full time job at the end of the season despite getting promotion his replacement .....DICK BATE

Yep! People believe that changing managers is automatically going to result in an immediate change of fortunes on the pitch. If Sturrock leaves I believe we can shelve any idea of promotion until, AT LEAST the season after next.

Our downfall has been home form,The lads look nervous and no wonder when some fans scream vile abuse at them.

i wrote on here a few months back that the abuse was not helping,How can we expect the players to run through brick walls whilst they are slated by grandstanders is beyond me.

Two things I would add. Firstly its a catch 22 and the performances at home have been so poor its no wonder people are frustrated. Secondly our home attendance is what 4500 approx I dont know. Are you really telling me that a proffesional footballer is put off by a few people moaing.

People moan when things are bad. We are not lemmings. I love the club but its is not a blind love where I pretend everything is sweetness and light. The home form has been awful. Sturrock has not really sorted this in the past three seasons and your average fan feels let down. Hard to blame them for this really.

I have mentioned before that a former top level footballer who was revered by his fans and hated by opposition fans told me that he concentrated so hard on the match he never heard any of the abuse hurled his way.

Perhaps our players should try the same.

I have mentioned before that a former top level footballer who was revered by his fans and hated by opposition fans told me that he concentrated so hard on the match he never heard any of the abuse hurled his way.

Indeed - and perhaps if a player is aware of negative crowd noise maybe he has two options a) hide or b) work harder and run through more brick walls to turn your critics into fans. That's what Gavin Tomlin has done this season despite being the worst player ever to play professional football....ahem.

How do you know another manager wouldnt have done so well? Perhaps another manager wouldnt have wasted a 3 year contract on Neil Harris, signed John Spicer, thought Anthony Straker was worth paying money for. We had an exceptional season last season and Luggy has brought in some good players but so has every manager in this division. This season, bar the JPT, has been awful. We have beaten NONE of the bottom 6 at home.

Sturrock didnt waste a 3 year contract on Harris either...

Yep! People believe that changing managers is automatically going to result in an immediate change of fortunes on the pitch. If Sturrock leaves I believe we can shelve any idea of promotion until, AT LEAST the season after next.

I dont think it is a guaranteed change for the best but the fact remains Sturrock has failed and we have gained one point from Barnet this season, and just got 1 point from 3 games we should have won.

You dont leave things the same, ie failing, just because a change may not improve things. Any change in manager is taking a chance, one I think we need to take at the end of this season.

Short of being relegated which I would think unlikely given the squad we have how can it get much worse. We are not going up, we are not even in the play offs whivh given the squad we have is poor and were are in a worse position than a year ago.

Change guarantees nothing but I can also tell you that just plodding along with the same input all the time pretty much guarantees the same output eg - we are going nowhere.

I see it like this:
Sturrock's remit when he arrived was to build up the team, stabilise the club and ensure that we didn't flirt with relegation. This was achieved, arguably better than many predicted. He attracted a real quality of player and we comfortably finished mid table.

Signings like Clohessy, Moshni, Hall, Corr & Easton all enhanced the team and lifted our spirits. As a result, expectations for the following season were increased. It wasn't just our expectations though, promotion was a clear target for everyone at the club and the high profile signing of Harris as well as Eastwood (albeit on loan) underlined that. This is when the remit changed, much down to his good work in his first season.

I've heard and read all about how 'unlucky we were with our points total' not to go up last year. Doesn't matter though, whatever points total we got, it wasn't good enough. The play off failure only heightened our expectations further because after going close, we demanded that Sturrock deliver this time round. That was his target also...to take us into league one.

Again, the signings were encouraging. Smith, Eastwood, Cresswell, Hurst, Tomlin. Assombalonga and the majority of all other loan signings gave us a strong squad and on paper, one that should be higher than we are.
Look at the fire power we have...Corr, Assombalonga, Eastwood, Tomlin, Harris...surely there is no better group of forwards in the league? Better than some in league one as well!

No, for me Sturrock should go. A vicitm of his 'success' in his first year as the expectancy increased throughout the club and fans maybe, but he has failed to reach target number two (promotion) after successfully achieving his first when he originally walked through the door.

The argument that our fans are causing the poor home form is ill-founded in my opinion. I thought the NB was great last night and has been all season. Individuals moan a bit, sure, but if I was a Southend player I wouldn't be quaking in my boots to go out there.

How long will the next manager get until the boo boys get their knives out?

I am thankful we still have the club to support ,We all would love to see Real Madrid style of play and be entertained every game,Sadly it's basement football and the club has a shocking injury list which means we all get what we pay for which normally means DROSS!

PS has been unlucky with the injuries .

I see it like this:
Sturrock's remit when he arrived was to build up the team, stabilise the club and ensure that we didn't flirt with relegation. This was achieved, arguably better than many predicted. He attracted a real quality of player and we comfortably finished mid table.

Signings like Clohessy, Moshni, Hall, Corr & Easton all enhanced the team and lifted our spirits. As a result, expectations for the following season were increased. It wasn't just our expectations though, promotion was a clear target for everyone at the club and the high profile signing of Harris as well as Eastwood (albeit on loan) underlined that. This is when the remit changed, much down to his good work in his first season.

I've heard and read all about how 'unlucky we were with our points total' not to go up last year. Doesn't matter though, whatever points total we got, it wasn't good enough. The play off failure only heightened our expectations further because after going close, we demanded that Sturrock deliver this time round. That was his target also...to take us into league one.

Again, the signings were encouraging. Smith, Eastwood, Cresswell, Hurst, Tomlin. Assombalonga and the majority of all other loan signings gave us a strong squad and on paper, one that should be higher than we are.
Look at the fire power we have...Corr, Assombalonga, Eastwood, Tomlin, Harris...surely there is no better group of forwards in the league? Better than some in league one as well!

No, for me Sturrock should go. A vicitm of his 'success' in his first year as the expectancy increased throughout the club and fans maybe, but he has failed to reach target number two (promotion) after successfully achieving his first when he originally walked through the door.

I'm glad you brought up the arrival of Paul Sturrock and the asprirations that were set. I know that he arrived with a superb record of getting lower league clubs promoted and that was clearly his future task. Can anyone remember the exact project for the future, that he set out? Am I wrong in believing there was something about a five-year plan which certainly involved us getting promotion to League One (or was it the Championship)? All this was, of course, alongside the projected move to FF . As the move to FF has been 'delayed' could that go for promotion as well?

The argument that our fans are causing the poor home form is ill-founded in my opinion. I thought the NB was great last night and has been all season. Individuals moan a bit, sure, but if I was a Southend player I wouldn't be quaking in my boots to go out there.

Do you think Anthony Straker prefers home or away games?

How long will the next manager get until the boo boys get their knives out?

I am thankful we still have the club to support ,We all would love to see Real Madrid style of play and be entertained every game,Sadly it's basement football and the club has a shocking injury list which means we all get what we pay for which normally means DROSS!

PS has been unlucky with the injuries .

How about we give him three seasons to prove himself before people start to question if he is the right man for the job?

I know several football league players ,Whilst some of these guys are able to ignore the boo boys the majority I know admit to being are nervous of their first touch of the ball ,If the touch is decent their confidence grows but if its poor they are even more nervous when they have the ball again,Dodgy rutted pitches makes good players look like park players,Fans abuse enhances players fears ,Remember these lads are human and never ever intend to shoot wide or misplace the pass.

Back