• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

Interesting comment here

Overall yes but the way the deals work it could end up showing as profit on this seasons finances. Idk all the details but maybe @Davefevs or @Mr Popodopolous can help me out?​
£1.5m on a 3 year deal, so at end of 2018 last summer we’d amortised £1.0m. He then signed a year extension, so the remaining £0.5m split now over 2 years, so this summer his asset is worth £0.25m / £250k.

Wages? God knows, but let’s say £7k per week as a 19 year old, so £1.05m over 3 years, of which we’ll have recruited a proportion back from Bury, Cheltenham and Southend. These costs are sunk each year so we can’t do a lot about these.

So we need to sell him for £250k to avoid making a FFP transfer loss.

Of course the irrelevance of “net spend” for FFP reasons, becomes relevant when you think we took the England u19 captain and he’s (in many respects) gone backwards.

19 hours ago, RedDave said:
I would suggest that Johnson’s judgement on signings is very hit and miss. I think this is one he’s got wrong.​
Up until this season, I still had high hopes, but the bits and pieces I’ve seen on telly have quashed those thoughts. Southend might be happy with him, but he no longer looks like a future top 8 Championship player imho.

He reminds me a bit of John Curtis, the old Man Utd / Blackburn defender who was a future England captain in making from the Lilleshall group, who at least played top level, but never progressed (in fact went backwards) once he made his Man Utd debut. An age-group prodigy who faltered in the man’s game. Don’t get me wrong he had a career I could only dream of, but it wasn’t the stellar one so many saw for him.

18 hours ago, billywedlock said:
I have not seen him this last season, but on 6 occasions at Cheltenham the previous year. I did not think he had made significant steps forward for the physical side of his game, and he looked far off a championship player to me. Yes he can play a bit, and may well get it together later in his career. Another of those transfers where we spent a lot of money for no return, it was a direction we tried and it never really worked out. Was part of the Kodja money spending spree. Not our best transfer period. Some of the recent moves have been much more in line with what is needed. I think LJ has got this decision correct .​
I hoped he was one of those players who would play better with better players. He may we’ll still be that player, but I do think Vyner has queue-jumped him.

As for @Agard Days Night - there is a fair bit on Twitter, but little reputable....although I do expect this is a likely outcome. So he might be right on this.

Commenting on the big central defenders debate ( which I appreciate ifs off the thread topic)

It's all very well saying cut off the supply of the crosses, but what about corners and set pieces (where we conceded a lot of our goals last season)

You need tall central defenders to deal with opposition tall central defenders who venture up the field from their set plays.

Barry Corr was very useful at defending set plays when he helped out in defence, but in the absence of even a tall striker we lost that option last season, with Dieng used in that role.

6'3" centre backs please , Look at Luton Sonney Bradley was a target of ours whilst he was at Plymouth. He is the sort of central defender we should be looking at (appreciating money, location etc)

Moore and Kiernan would be a great pairing at the back, if we were playing 3 CB's!

This is impossible though, as the only way to win a game is obviously to play 4-4-2

Hart and Demi would both be better wing backs maybe, and with a lack of wide options?

Commenting on the big central defenders debate ( which I appreciate ifs off the thread topic)

It's all very well saying cut off the supply of the crosses, but what about corners and set pieces (where we conceded a lot of our goals last season)

You need tall central defenders to deal with opposition tall central defenders who venture up the field from their set plays.

Barry Corr was very useful at defending set plays when he helped out in defence, but in the absence of even a tall striker we lost that option last season, with Dieng used in that role.

6'3" centre backs please , Look at Luton Sonney Bradley was a target of ours whilst he was at Plymouth. He is the sort of central defender we should be looking at (appreciating money, location etc)

Isn't Harry Lennon 6'3"? As per Football Database.

Some one has posted on Facebook that we have signed TM on a 3 year deal.I sincerely hope it's TRUE and not a windup.I cant see any evidence elsewhere that he has signed

Evans on his usual run, , snapped up Willock from Man U for Gills says he will be a star and claims he fought off Championship clubs, managed him at Crawley, now allegedly close to signing Agard from MK dons as his 6th signing, seems Barry Fry is not the only one to get about fast

With pre-season training getting that little bit closer, the pace is hotting up for those clubs who like to get players in and settled early. 27 signings have now been made by just 6 clubs, with our very own Cocko getting in on the act at Brizzle Rovers.

The pack leaders are the Unmentionables with 7, Evans at Gills 5, Bristol Rovers 4, MK Dons 4, Coventry 4 and Ipswich 3
Of the 39 players signed in total 30 have been for Free, so less sign so far this year of early loan signings. Only 5 players signed from Premiership of which Gillingham have picked up 2 ( from Spurs ans Man Utd and added another from Rangers, but 12 have signed from the lower leagues.

I’ve got a feeling we might sign someone today. No inside knowledge just got a feeling.

Back