• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

As it stands :-

Oxley
Bishop

Harry Lennon (CB)
John White (CB / RB) - Contract pending
Rob Kiernan (CB / CM)
Harry Kyprianou (CB / LB)- inj LT
Jason Demetriou (RB / RM / LB) - Inj LT
Elvis Bwomono (RB / LB)

Tim Dieng (CM / CB) - Inj ST
Mark Milligan (CM / CB)
Dru Yearwood (CM)
Sam Mantom (CM)
Michael Klass (CM)
Luke Hyam (CM) - Inj Indefinite
Isaac Hutchinson (ACM / CM / LM / RM)
Stephen McLaughlin (LM / RM)
Michael Kightly (RM / LM)

Simon Cox (CF / ACM) - Inj ST
Tom Hopper (CF) - injured LT
Stephen Humphrys (CF)
Charlie Kelman (CF)
Brandon Goodship (CF / RF / LF)
Theo Robinson (CF / RF)

23 players

3 injured long term

3 injured short term

Triallist :-
Blackman (LB)
Jordan (CB)
Lyden (CM)
Roberts (LW /RW)

Of these the most needed are Jordan and Roberts

U23s Squad :-
Rob Howard (RB)
Tom Clifford (LB)
Richard Taylor (CB)
Emile Acquah (CF)

Of these I can only see Clifford being used / needed
Plus Sam Barratt inj

As it stands :-

Oxley
Bishop

Harry Lennon (CB)
John White (CB / RB) - Contract pending
Rob Kiernan (CB / CM)
Harry Kyprianou (CB / LB)- inj LT
Jason Demetriou (RB / RM / LB) - Inj LT
Elvis Bwomono (RB / LB)

Tim Dieng (CM / CB) - Inj ST
Mark Milligan (CM / CB)
Dru Yearwood (CM)
Sam Mantom (CM)
Michael Klass (CM)
Luke Hyam (CM) - Inj Indefinite
Isaac Hutchinson (ACM / CM / LM / RM)
Stephen McLaughlin (LM / RM)
Michael Kightly (RM / LM)

Simon Cox (CF / ACM) - Inj ST
Tom Hopper (CF) - injured LT
Stephen Humphrys (CF)
Charlie Kelman (CF)
Brandon Goodship (CF / RF / LF)
Theo Robinson (CF / RF)

23 players

3 injured long term

3 injured short term

Triallist :-
Blackman (LB)
Jordan (CB)
Lyden (CM)
Roberts (LW /RW)

Of these the most needed are Jordan and Roberts

U23s Squad :-
Rob Howard (RB)
Tom Clifford (LB)
Richard Taylor (CB)
Emile Acquah (CF)

Of these I can only see Clifford being used / needed

Also Barratt (LW/RW) and Gard (CM) as long-term injured. However the long term injureds are all due back in the short-medium term.

From end of last season we’ve effectively lost Turner (CB), Moore (CB), Hart (LB), Coker (LB), Bunn (LW/RW/SS), Hendrie (LB) whilst gaining Milligan, Goodship and having Robinson return. A left-back is a must after that we have the numbers (the loanees being injury cover for Kiernan, Coker and Barratt) if White re-signs although maybe we need a loanee to cover injuries.

After that we probably need departures before we can add.

Also Barratt (LW/RW) and Gard (CM) as long-term injured. However the long term injureds are all due back in the short-medium term.

From end of last season we’ve effectively lost Turner (CB), Moore (CB), Hart (LB), Coker (LB), Bunn (LW/RW/SS), Hendrie (LB) whilst gaining Milligan, Goodship and having Robinson return. A left-back is a must after that we have the numbers (the loanees being injury cover for Kiernan, Coker and Barratt) if White re-signs although maybe we need a loanee to cover injuries.

After that we probably need departures before we can add.

Agreed, particularly about the left back situation. I’m still worried about our options on the left and right of midfield/wing. It seems to be McLaughlin and Kightly still as the only established senior pros - and they had shocking seasons last year.

Apart from that I’m quite happy with our options everywhere else, even if we may not be at full strength in the early season. Loans will be part of the picture IMO to get us over any initial period of weakness in other positions, but permanent additions are needed especially at left back but also a wide midfielder who can play either side I think. If we signed those two, and they are of reasonable quality, then added one or two loans I’d be delighted overall. I’m not sure we can afford all those though...

Agreed, particularly about the left back situation. I’m still worried about our options on the left and right of midfield/wing. It seems to be McLaughlin and Kightly still as the only established senior pros - and they had shocking seasons last year.

Apart from that I’m quite happy with our options everywhere else, even if we may not be at full strength in the early season. Loans will be part of the picture IMO to get us over any initial period of weakness in other positions, but permanent additions are needed especially at left back but also a wide midfielder who can play either side I think. If we signed those two, and they are of reasonable quality, then added one or two loans I’d be delighted overall. I’m not sure we can afford all those though...

I know most fans want these two replaced but it wont be happening by signing established wide men. We clearly don't have the budget to guarantee better players. We had Barratt in to give us options out wide.

Far more likely to be loans, sign a trialist or say Hutchinson stepping up.

That aside some of the opinions of Kighty and McL have been way over the top. I'm sure with a new beating hart in the middle of the pitch the wide men will have a better season......Well, McL at least.

That aside some of the opinions of Kighty and McL have been way over the top. I'm sure with a new beating hart in the middle of the pitch the wide men will have a better season......Well, McL at least.

I’m not convinced. True, opinions are divided (when aren’t they, on any subject!) but as senior pros they singularly failed to deliver even in periods of better play and better results last season. Of course they might be better this year. They might just as easily be equally ineffective.

Part of encouraging an improvement from them is about genuine competition - which neither of them had last season and they still don’t. Bunn was occasionally available and sometimes did well before yet another injury. He and Hyam are examples of brittle players who with a game or two began to demonstrate a contribution. Kightly and Macca didn’t at any stage, IMO. Macca played over 2000 minutes and scored two goals, but much more tellingly only generated 1 assist. That is desperately bad.

Nunbers wise I prefer a smaller squad, as a League 1 club we need consistency and everyone on board, we have 25 players plus a few youngsters that may step up if really necessary. For me we need only to add 2 X Left backs and a winger so there is competition in all areas. I agree in the middle we have the numbers but some perceive the wrong type of players (some say we lack an enforcer, others say we lack creativity to supply front men). That is out of Bonds hands, he has inherited these players under contract and can't move them on til next summer i.e. Dieng, Hyam, Kightly. Let's give them a chance, it can be quite amazing the tune a different manager and coaching team can get out of previously poor performing players with a change in approach and tactics. I see a very decent, competitive League 1 team in that squad if fit, well drilled and determined.

Is anyone else worried about the current lack of depth.

Still have players out injured and lack of cover.

I know the season is still some time away but with pre season building pace. It seems we are still very short in key areas.

Chris Phillips‏Verified account @CJPhillips1982 19h19 hours ago

Also asked Kevin Bond if anything was close to being done transfer wise
He said: "No, not at the moment."

While it’s reasonable to suggest any of these players that we didn’t feel were good enough or not or whether we think they under performed or badly out of form, may perform differently or better under new managers / coaches and a fresh start, it’s surprising to me how many of us are refusing to consider that some of the younger players won’t have progressed with being a season older and wiser and a season / summer of physical development...as well as a fresh outlook....

It seems no one has considered the likes of Klass, Clifford, Hutchinson, all in areas we are desperately short of, may have a genuine case for breaking through and may already be considered an improvement on the likes of Kightly, McLaughlin, Dieng etc....

They will by the very nature of their age experience and natural ability have progressed naturally from last season.....what they make of it of course will be up to them but we can’t consider them youth players or young lads or potential, forever.....

Last edited:
I’m not convinced. True, opinions are divided (when aren’t they, on any subject!) but as senior pros they singularly failed to deliver even in periods of better play and better results last season. Of course they might be better this year. They might just as easily be equally ineffective.

Part of encouraging an improvement from them is about genuine competition - which neither of them had last season and they still don’t. Bunn was occasionally available and sometimes did well before yet another injury. He and Hyam are examples of brittle players who with a game or two began to demonstrate a contribution. Kightly and Macca didn’t at any stage, IMO. Macca played over 2000 minutes and scored two goals, but much more tellingly only generated 1 assist. That is desperately bad.

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you about the performances from Kightly and SM. And yes your right we certainly need competition in more places than just the forward line. I was just pointing out the harsh reality of how much competition can we actually afford.

My point being lets not expect a well known and permanent 'name' to be arriving anytime soon in those slots.

I can’t blame Taylor Moore for not picking up Tom Eaves when we played Crawley. Considering he was probably already man marked by whoever Gillingham were playing that day.

Yes I was talking about the home game v Gillingham. So thanks I have made the post clearer now.

The incident is on the highlights if anyone is particularly interested.

I still have faith in Macca for now but Kightly is past it and should only really be considered as an impact sub at best.
While it’s reasonable to suggest any of these players that we didn’t feel were good enough or not or whether we think they under performed or badly out of form, may perform differently or better under new managers / coaches and a fresh start, it’s surprising to me how many of us are refusing to consider that some of the younger players won’t have progressed with being a season older and wiser and a season / summer of physical development...as well as a fresh outlook....

It seems no one has considered the likes of Klass, Clifford, Hutchinson, all in areas we are desperately short of, may have a genuine case for breaking through and may already be considered an improvement on the likes of Kightly, McLaughlin, Dieng etc....

They will by the very nature of their age experience and natural ability have progressed naturally from last season.....what they make of it of course will be up to them but we can’t consider them youth players or young lads or potential, forever.....
Haven’t seen anything of Clifford so far but Hutchinson looks very promising and from what I’ve seen of Klass I think this could be a breakthrough season for him.

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you about the performances from Kightly and SM. And yes your right we certainly need competition in more places than just the forward line. I was just pointing out the harsh reality of how much competition can we actually afford.

My point being lets not expect a well known and permanent 'name' to be arriving anytime soon in those slots.

Oh absolutely. I don’t think anyone has suggested a marquee signing is in the offing. However, someone who has a few football league appearances under their belt, isn’t made of glass and has the right attitude is not out of reach. We need one who can play either side as genuine cover and competition. If that’s the lad from Newcastle (although I accept his league appearances aren’t quite consistent with what I said above) then fair enough. He’ll need to demonstrate some ability and consistency in preseason to do that I think.

The "struggle" areas for us (my op) are centre back with height, left back, attacking midfield playmaker (if Dru doesn't cut it) and some width if SM has another poor season (Is Sam B or MK going to be fit and able?)

Maybe KB is going to have to try a more 4 3 3 with Theo used for width and runs down the flanks?

We have some strength in numbers for centre midfielders and some exciting striker options.

Genuinely believe Theo can be a good winger, fast and able to run in behind, not too bad of a cross either (Kightly goal v Oxford). Particularly as he may not get a look in up front

Genuinely believe Theo can be a good winger, fast and able to run in behind, not too bad of a cross either (Kightly goal v Oxford). Particularly as he may not get a look in up front

He started 3 games last season out wide with Cox and Hopper upfront......We won all 3 games but he had been subbed at Burton at half time I think? when we were 1-0 down.

Might not be the best option away but certainly at RH we could have done with at least a mild threat in the first 30 minutes of some games.

He started 3 games last season out wide with Cox and Hopper upfront......We won all 3 games but he had been subbed at Burton at half time I think? when we were 1-0 down.

Might not be the best option away but certainly at RH we could have done with at least a mild threat in the first 30 minutes of some games.

Exactly, but even away from home we could use him on the quick break if we knew how to do one

Theo's crossing is definitely better than his shooting, although his poor hold up play probably goes against him working as a winger, he tends to work best when we play balls in behind the last defender but if he runs onto those then no one will be in the box so he'll have to hold on to the ball until everyone's had a chance to push up.

Hopefully we'll have a couple of signings at least this week especially at left back and an attacking CM . Better to get them in earlier to get playing in the friendlies and used to their teammates:Unsure:

Hopefully we'll have a couple of signings at least this week especially at left back and an attacking CM . Better to get them in earlier to get playing in the friendlies and used to their teammates:Unsure:

KB told Chris Phillips at Reading that we we’re close to other signings at this point. That could easily change this week though and I’m sure we will be in discussions with a player or two.

Back