• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

Bit harsh on JW....The last I saw of him in L2 he had some sort of trophy in his hands. :Winking:

5 years ago and 2 arm breaks later.

He was also at RB and we had two very good CB’s then.

Agree, apparently they are throwing money around how can they afford that

Just dug into it and Mansfied are backed and financed by Millionaire's John and Carolyn Radford. They are losing a fortune each year, resulting in Millions so far. There's a bit of controversy at the moment as they get around the using 50% of turnover rule on wages, by John using his One Call Insurance firm to sponsor the stadium, which in turn has provided the club with extra funds. There is criticism, however, of how Mansfield are operating. The view is that the Radford's approach isn’t sustainable, with home attendances rarely pushing 6,000. The Radford's are just starting to complain and ask in public if it's worth it. So if they don't get promotion soon, they could pull the plug.

Just dug into it and Mansfied are backed and financed by Millionaire's John and Carolyn Radford. They are losing a fortune each year, resulting in Millions so far. There's a bit of controversy at the moment as they get around the using 50% of turnover rule on wages, by John using his One Call Insurance firm to sponsor the stadium, which in turn has provided the club with extra funds. There is criticism, however, of how Mansfield are operating. The view is that the Radford's approach isn’t sustainable, with home attendances rarely pushing 6,000. The Radford's are just starting to complain and ask in public if it's worth it. So if they don't get promotion soon, they could pull the plug.
Yes theire was a TV programme about them recently. An interesting watch. Inflating revenue via sponsorship from the owners companies is amongst the most transparent ways of rendering the current rules a joke. Which is why rather than FFP a simple cap is being looked at as it might be easier to enforce/be more effective. A number of clubs appear to be simply assuming the wage cap won't happen for the coming season (whatever the EFL say)..

Was talking about Bolton signing COyle. But even a rich chairman doesn’t mean you can just lavish cash on players due to FFP. Unless FFP is being ignored for a season

FFP is open to shall we say "manipulation within the rules". So if an owner, or one of their companies, signs a big sponsorship deal for say the stadium it appears that counts as income for FFP. The fact that no-one else would pay a fraction of that amount for the huge privilege of sponsoring Mansfield's stadium, containing occasionally their 3k supporters, in L2, doesn't seem to count?

So my point is in theory the cap does away with the endless "manipulation" under FFP of finding endless way of creating "income". On the other hand is it fair that a club with attendances of 30k (e.g. Sunderland) has the same cap as Rochdale??

I guess if FFP actually worked the EFL wouldn't need to be looking at the cap?

FFP is open to shall we say "manipulation within the rules". So if an owner, or one of their companies, signs a big sponsorship deal for say the stadium it appears that counts as income for FFP. The fact that no-one else would pay a fraction of that amount for the huge privilege of sponsoring Mansfield's stadium, containing occasionally their 3k supporters, in L2, doesn't seem to count?

So my point is in theory the cap does away with the endless "manipulation" under FFP of finding endless way of creating "income". On the other hand is it fair that a club with attendances of 30k (e.g. Sunderland) has the same cap as Rochdale??

I guess if FFP actually worked the EFL wouldn't need to be looking at the cap?
This is what i do not get as those type of deals are investigated in the prem to make sure its fair value. I think City had theirs looked at after the ridiculous deal with Emirates air for the stadium and training ground, which also led to their UEFA issues.

It’s ridiculous these things happen, you either enforce as they should be or scrap them (I know my preference). I have heard they may not enforce it for one or two years due to COVID

We need to be careful about chucking around stones from our glass houses when it comes to rule bending. Shirt sponsorship is also used as a means to get around the turnover wage cap - just saying.
Yes it is and your right about stone throwing. But i do not think we have had a shirt deal that has over valued the worth if that makes sense.

Thats what isnt allowed to happen but clearly does

Mansfield only get around 3000k crowds a games.

Bolton got Doyle from Swindon on a 3 year deal, on highest wages in league 2, to over 4K a week.

Bolton got Doyle from Swindon on a 3 year deal, on highest wages in league 2, to over 4K a week.

I'm quite glad we haven't signed anyone if that is the madness that some clubs are resorting to, if no fans are allowed back into the ground until October they will have paid one player over £50K with no income, hardly seems sustainable

Yes it is and your right about stone throwing. But i do not think we have had a shirt deal that has over valued the worth if that makes sense.

Thats what isnt allowed to happen but clearly does
Quite right we have a commercial external sponsor for the shirts and no sponsor at all for the stadium. We have not abused the fair play rules like many clubs with a very rich chairman.... well because we don’t have a rich chairman...his biggest fault in fact. If Ron were very rich we would have The Citizen Housing Stadium and an extra million or two to spend on players annually :-)

In short on this Ron could stand in a greenhouse with a very large bag of sharp and heavy stones.

Throwing a curve ball name in. Josh Rees, Southend High boy who spent his youth at arsenal before making his pro debut for Forest in the Prem. Local lad who scored 20 goals in a season for Bromley before Steve Evans froze him out of Gills. Unbelievable engine and a goal threat from centre midfield - very Leonard esque. Was close to signing for us under Phil Brown - think he would be a great addition to the side

Throwing a curve ball name in. Josh Rees, Southend High boy who spent his youth at arsenal before making his pro debut for Forest in the Prem. Local lad who scored 20 goals in a season for Bromley before Steve Evans froze him out of Gills. Unbelievable engine and a goal threat from centre midfield - very Leonard esque. Was close to signing for us under Phil Brown - think he would be a great addition to the side
Would love to see him given a crack down here

When they signed Will Atkinson, it was part of a 5 year plan to be a Championship club.....How many times do we here that from owners at all levels. Far to many people with unrealistic 5 year plans that involve punching well above their weight. The result can be the Bury factor.

Back