• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

When did
Milligan sign a 3 year deal? Thought it was one?
1 year with an option- nature of option not entirely clear- retained as player at our choice, coach at our choice, player coach at our choice even, or maybe like most options there was one not to retain him at all.

If it was 3 years with the last 2 years as coach or player or both with no option to let him go that would be a different thing again- if he is on furlough then its on his original contract and that probably continues until he is off furlough (so impact on end May decision point in contract is an interesting one- it may mean club doesn't need to decide until furlough ends).

Is a 3 year contract with a break clause after 1 year really in fact a 1 year contract? This is a debate you get in business quite often..

Has Sol been furloughed? I had always assumed not. BUt if he has the maybe they cannot speak about these matters.

I am confused re who and hasnt been furloughed at Southend.

The season is over & players contracts are expiring in 11-days. One player is already in limbo, with several more set to join.

Decisions need to be made, regardless of furlough.

Unless there’s another reason for the delay...

No real surprise if Milligan has been let go, never really performed in my opinion and by all accounts was one of the higher earners.

I can say with a high degree of certainty, that whilst he may not have appeared to be the best player this season, he has been a consummate professional, and would absolutely be someone worth retaining for next year, either as a coach, or bit-part player.

He’s been totally committed to the cause throughout, and has the attitude that we need.

Remember when certain players were laughing about how **** we were on the training ground? From what I can gather, Milly was one of those who spoke out & told those players some home truths.

The season is over & players contracts are expiring in 11-days. One player is already in limbo, with several more set to join.

Decisions need to be made, regardless of furlough.

Unless there’s another reason for the delay...
I do not disagree over what you say they do need to be made. I am sure you know one of the conditions of furlough is you cannot do anything at all that is work related, so was just wondering if he had been furloughed would that be a reason. Of course you don't have to follow the rules I guess.

Thats why I was asking had Sol been furloughed if he hasnt then these discussions should have taken place for most and maybe ongoing with others. If he has then as i say could be the reason

I know form my side i got a text from work and they wish i was in as they had things to discuss, but they said sadly we cant and hope your well.

I do not disagree over what you say they do need to be made. I am sure you know one of the conditions of furlough is you cannot do anything at all that is work related, so was just wondering if he had been furloughed would that be a reason. Of course you don't have to follow the rules I guess.

Thats why I was asking had Sol been furloughed if he hasnt then these discussions should have taken place for most and maybe ongoing with others. If he has then as i say could be the reason

I know form my side i got a text from work and they wish i was in as they had things to discuss, but they said sadly we cant and hope your well.
There was a survey I saw yesterday showing an something like 34% of furloughed workers said they had been asked to do something work related whilst they are off. Bearing in mind the legality that is extraordinary.

I think a lot of companies rushed in to max out on the furlough opportunity- often companies don't fully understand what their employees actually do so they suddenly find out they need them for this or that, their input on this or that. See it often with redundancy where everything an employee did only becomes clear when they aren't there anymore.

Its interesting how many companies are now handing back furlough money saying we have done better than expected so we didn't really need it. The cynic might wonder, in some cases, whether this is neat way of avoiding what furloughed workers did or did not do whilst furloughed being looked at too closely. There is to be an "amnesty period" at some point I believe.

I’ve been in contact with my work, who wanted to discuss certain changes etc that would be happening within the business.

Anyway, I don’t know, but would expect, a statement from our illustrious leader at some point.

I’ve been in contact with my work, who wanted to discuss certain changes etc that would be happening within the business.

Anyway, I don’t know, but would expect, a statement from our illustrious leader at some point.
Yes an sure Ron will enlighten is soon
\
Re the contact that’s what I am saying, it isn’t strictly allowed but am sure it happens

Yes an sure Ron will enlighten is soon
\
Re the contact that’s what I am saying, it isn’t strictly allowed but am sure it happens

I’m not sure about the legalities. I mean, they weren’t asking me to do any actual work, they were just rambling on about some changes that they were making.

If Ron phoned Sol and asked him to name who he wants to keep & get rid of, would that technically be classed as working, or chatting? Would Sol refuse to answer, citing furlough legalities?

I’m not sure, but either way as per usual, our club appears to be a circus

I’m not sure about the legalities. I mean, they weren’t asking me to do any actual work, they were just rambling on about some changes that they were making.

If Ron phoned Sol and asked him to name who he wants to keep & get rid of, would that technically be classed as working, or chatting? Would Sol refuse to answer, citing furlough legalities?

Agree is it work or not, some would say yes some would say no, depends where you sit i guess.

Hopefully all gets sorted soon.

DO you know if sol is Furloughed?

On the face of it, this appears to be a lack of communication between the club and the player.

The question is why?

Sol is the man to decide who we want to retain for next season. Ron is the man to say yes or no, financially.

Can we infer that Ron and Sol aren’t communicating effectively? If so, why not?

This is nothing new. This has been going on for years since Ron decided a CEO was a luxury that wasn't for him.

The club is awful at communicating with people.

When did Milligan sign a 3 year deal? Thought it was one?

From the Club website, 1st July '19:

"The 33-year-old midfielder, who can also play at centre-back, has signed a one-year deal plus a club option for a further year, and we have no reason to feel that Mark’s playing career will not continue beyond the initial period.

Thereafter it is intended that Mark will remain with the Club for at least a further two years in a coaching role either within the Academy or First Team, employing his vast experience and leadership skills to the advancement of Southend United Football Club."

Guess "intended" covers a multitude of things.....

This is nothing new. This has been going on for years since Ron decided a CEO was a luxury that wasn't for him.

The club is awful at communicating with people.

Ron shows a continual pattern of disrespect; it’s a joke how often players and other staff at the club talk about how they haven’t heard from Ron or heard about their futures. I would say he talks a good game to fans, but he just talks a load of crap in his statements too, but it’s out of order the lack of respect often shown to the staff at the club.

Can't be bothered to quote multiple posts but here's my 2 pennys on some of the players discussed FWIW:

McLaughlin - I was ready for him to go last season but I think he stepped up with the kids at the turn of the year and was a good influence. I heard from family member of a player that he was very much led by Cox (as were a few players), some other players felt Cox undermined the management particularly under Waddock. It seems like Cox going has brought the best out of Macca and I'd actually like him to stay now. On his day he has quality that we will need, workrate and willing will only get us so far.

Milligan - I have heard he is a great pro and a good guy but it was a bad fit from the start. Think we were swayed by the fact he was Australia captain and didn't actually look at what he brought to the table. We insisted on playing him in midfield rather than centre back and it was all wrong for us. With a defensive mid in front of the back 4 you are inviting pressure and bodies which is fine if you can break quickly but we have a chronic lack of pace and we sent Theo out on a season long loan!

Humphys - It's difficult to call this, he's had a rough time since signing with his facial injuries and I've heard he'd like to go back up north. I also think that he has massive potential and I don't think he would be one to sulk and not put effort in. If he gets a run of games and back to match fitness I think he'd tear league 2 apart. He will only have a year on his deal though and doubt he will be signing a new contract so a good season would probably see us lose him on a free transfer.

"The 33-year-old midfielder, who can also play at centre-back, has signed a one-year deal plus a club option for a further year, and we have no reason to feel that Mark’s playing career will not continue beyond the initial period.

Thereafter it is intended that Mark will remain with the Club for at least a further two years in a coaching role either within the Academy or First Team, employing his vast experience and leadership skills to the advancement of Southend United Football Club."

Very helpful- so it was a 1 year contract and the club had the option of keeping him or letting him him go. An intention is no more than that and of course that was when Bond was manager, we were L1 and no COVID. So its fair to say some things have changed.

When the club did not exercise the option end of May he become a free agent. The club could of course still go back to him and offer something different if they wanted to.

make more sense now.

Aye, this is where the waters are so muddied. If Sol and his team are staying, perhaps there isn't a role for Milligan on the coaching side. If Sol's off, then reckon MM could be of huge benefit on the youth side. Hopefully things'll become clearer over the next couple of weeks (though strangely, I'm not holding my breath.....).

Can't be bothered to quote multiple posts but here's my 2 pennys on some of the players discussed FWIW:

McLaughlin - I was ready for him to go last season but I think he stepped up with the kids at the turn of the year and was a good influence. I heard from family member of a player that he was very much led by Cox (as were a few players), some other players felt Cox undermined the management particularly under Waddock. It seems like Cox going has brought the best out of Macca and I'd actually like him to stay now. On his day he has quality that we will need, workrate and willing will only get us so far.

Milligan - I have heard he is a great pro and a good guy but it was a bad fit from the start. Think we were swayed by the fact he was Australia captain and didn't actually look at what he brought to the table. We insisted on playing him in midfield rather than centre back and it was all wrong for us. With a defensive mid in front of the back 4 you are inviting pressure and bodies which is fine if you can break quickly but we have a chronic lack of pace and we sent Theo out on a season long loan!

Humphys - It's difficult to call this, he's had a rough time since signing with his facial injuries and I've heard he'd like to go back up north. I also think that he has massive potential and I don't think he would be one to sulk and not put effort in. If he gets a run of games and back to match fitness I think he'd tear league 2 apart. He will only have a year on his deal though and doubt he will be signing a new contract so a good season would probably see us lose him on a free transfer.
Humphrys is apparently leaving this summer, apparently he had a relegation release clause, Sunderland is the rumoured team

How on earth would that not be classified as work?

Intended means not binding. It's like Ron intending to pay back furloughed players' wages.

Humphrys is apparently leaving this summer, apparently he had a relegation release clause, Sunderland is the rumoured team
hmm interesting, i'll have to ask around see if I can find anything out

EDIT: I have looked over messages I had with a friend in Oldham who knows Ste's family, I asked back when Hopper left whether Humphrys had a relegation release and was told the only clause in the contract was that his wages would be reduced if we were relegated. That was another reason he wanted to go to Doncaster in the January window.

Back