• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

I’d absolutely keep McLaughlin and build a team around him, as soon as Cox buggered off he looked like he gave a ****. He is class in my opinion but we won’t be able to afford him unless he accepts reduced wages. I think Humphrys would, on form, be absolute quality but he’s lost his mojo and you slightly get the impression he isn’t Campbell’s cup of tea. Like Theo there’s off field reasons it hasn’t clicked as well as the injury. If he doesn’t get a better offer laid on the table by another club I’ll be amazed.

How on earth would that not be classified as work?

Well, I suppose it would technically be classed as working, but because you’re not actually doing anything, other than sitting on your arse and talking on the phone, I don’t see it as that big a deal - unless of course one of the parties are playing hardball for the sake of it.

But anyway, we’re not in a court of law, and all of this is particularly trivial tbh.

All we want/need is some clarity to move forward. You know aswell as I do, that the upcoming season is fraught with danger, and needs to be handled in the correct way - something we continuously fail to do.

If we can’t organise a retention list for the upcoming season, because Sol and Ron can’t talk properly due to furlough, (or any other reason), then it really sums up how ridiculous it all is right now at our club.

Intended means not binding. It's like Ron intending to pay back furloughed players' wages.

Exactly why the PFA advised them to refuse furlough.

Until Ron comes up with some cast-iron guarantees, that’s the way it will remain.

DO you know if sol is Furloughed?

In a word - no.

And that’s because I’ve heard conflicting stories. Some say he was furloughed back in March, and some say he has been furloughed recently.

I’d assume he has, but couldn’t say with any degree of certainty.

Exactly why the PFA advised them to refuse furlough.

Until Ron comes up with some cast-iron guarantees, that’s the way it will remain.
[/QUOTE]
I guess we would all love cast iron guarantees on all sorts of things at the moment. The best guarantee they have is they are due the money under their contract- not sure whether it being an intent to pay or guarantee to pay in the end makes very much difference. Either way if we didn’t we would be back in breach on wages.

I would like to say the PFA know what they are doing, but of course we can’t say that either.

Next week and some clarity can’t come soon enough..

In a word - no.

And that’s because I’ve heard conflicting stories. Some say he was furloughed back in March, and some say he has been furloughed recently.

When is the payroll in the month normally- if he is on furlough I imagine Ron would want to make sure that applied if possible for June payroll then bring him off so they can meet and make final decisions? If he was only on furlough relatively recently maybe he let Ron know who he wanted to keep before hand? Who knows.

I know it's good to be positive but some of the views in this thread are amazing....it almost sounds like we've got a squad full of decent players coming off a great season. The reality is we started the season with a squad rammed full of expensive has-beens and donkeys.

Absolutely right re the “has beens and donkeys” but don’t forget the “never was and never will be’s” that also started the season with us ?

The club is awful at communicating with people.

No more so than during these last 3 months.

As I’ve often said, the only people who I know to have communicated with the players, is Ben Clarkson, Craig Fagan & Tony Colbert a couple of weeks ago.

Aside from Furlough letters, that’s it.

I guess we would all love cast iron guarantees on all sorts of things at the moment. The best guarantee they have is they are due the money under their contract- not sure whether it being an intent to pay or guarantee to pay in the end makes very much difference. Either way if we didn’t we would be back in breach on wages.

I would like to say the PFA know what they are doing, but of course we can’t say that either.

Are they due the money under their contract, if they accept furlough though?

Here are two important excerpts from the players’ recent furlough letter, which the PFA told them to refuse;

1)

‘This letter, together with your acceptance, constitutes a variation to the terms and conditions of your contract of employment in respect of the matters covered in this letter’.

2)

‘Finally, I recognise the potential hardship this period may have and it is not my wish for that to continue any longer than absolutely necessary. Therefore, whilst it must be entirely at the Boards discretion, the hope would be for the Club to make up any shortfall when the season returns to some normality. This is in recognition of what I regard as part of the Clubs continuing social responsibility’.

Does that seem reassuring?

I agree that we need clarity ASAP. I really was hoping it would be sorted by close of play today, but I’m not going to hold my breath on that one.

When is the payroll in the month normally- if he is on furlough I imagine Ron would want to make sure that applied if possible for June payroll then bring him off so they can meet and make final decisions? If he was only on furlough relatively recently maybe he let Ron know who he wanted to keep before hand? Who knows.

Players are paid on the last Friday of the month, I believe.

If that was the case, then why has Milligan been left in limbo?

Well, I suppose it would technically be classed as working, but because you’re not actually doing anything, other than sitting on your arse and talking on the phone, I don’t see it as that big a deal - unless of course one of the parties are playing hardball for the sake of it.

But anyway, we’re not in a court of law, and all of this is particularly trivial tbh.

All we want/need is some clarity to move forward. You know aswell as I do, that the upcoming season is fraught with danger, and needs to be handled in the correct way - something we continuously fail to do.

If we can’t organise a retention list for the upcoming season, because Sol and Ron can’t talk properly due to furlough, (or any other reason), then it really sums up how ridiculous it all is right now at our club.

Welcome to management... although during lockdown I try and do all my calls standing up and walking about.

If Ron furloughed Sol, I think he made a big mistake.

The decision to furlough 6 (or 7 - that number strangely changed) players and not the whole squad was also bizarre.

So why would they give that up?

LOL @ expressing an intent to pay or a guarantee making much difference. For a start we wouldn't be in breach if we failed to follow through with a vaguely expressed intention.

I don’t think we’ve ever had a group of players, manager and coaching staff who are so completely detached from the club. They feel nothing for it and in some cases you cannot blame them.

Keep the youngsters if we can. Otherwise clear them all out and start again and that includes Campbell.

We've basically done that already.

We've binned the likes of Cox and the other bad apples like Ridgewell, Kiernan. Blackman etc - and on the management side, Bond - and gone with the youngsters.

They, along with a few remaining senior players in Milligan, McLaughin and Dieng, showed against Lincoln, Oxford, Bristol Rovers that they do care and they were up for it.

That match against Lincoln was great and there was more of a connection with the team then than there had been for more than 5 years.

How many times do these players need to show us that they’re not simply not good enough? And that includes the 3 that you mention. A player has one reasonably good game and everyone should point to that rather than the other 20 totally crap performances that preceded it?

This squad needs putting out of it’s misery, as does the manager. Sorry mate, I’ve always liked you but you’ve got the rose tints on here!!

I don’t think we’ve ever had a group of players, manager and coaching staff who are so completely detached from the club. They feel nothing for it and in some cases you cannot blame them.

Keep the youngsters if we can. Otherwise clear them all out and start again and that includes Campbell.

Apart from the last Manager (Bond) coaching staff and players. So basically we are coming from rock bottom and what has Campbell been able to do? He has got rid of a load of players to cut our overinflated budget and he has improved the team slightly using the youth team in their place. Ron promised up to 7 new bodies in January and Sol got zero. Nobody is calling it a good performance but given the mitigating circumstances it is hard to put a credible argument saying Sol has done a bad job. A manager who hasn't had the opportunity to bring in a single player into a side that was performing terribly who has also had to lose key players like Cox and Hopper being condemned and people calling out to bin him and start again doesn't sit right with me at all.

In a word - no.

Possibly he was furloughed in January?

How many times do these players need to show us that they’re not simply not good enough? And that includes the 3 that you mention. A player has one reasonably good game and everyone should point to that rather than the other 20 totally crap performances that preceded it?

This squad needs putting out of it’s misery, as does the manager. Sorry mate, I’ve always liked you but you’ve got the rose tints on here!!

I agree wholesale changes needed to be made but it's hardly rosetinted glasses to suggest there may be a few players from the first team squad of 25(?) Campbell inherited that might be worth retaining.

But we've only done one half of the rebuild in ditching them - we need to replace them as well. That didn't happen in January as we were under embargo and so were unable to add a single player.

Apart from the last Manager (Bond) coaching staff and players. So basically we are coming from rock bottom and what has Campbell been able to do? He has got rid of a load of players to cut our overinflated budget and he has improved the team slightly using the youth team in their place. Ron promised up to 7 new bodies in January and Sol got zero. Nobody is calling it a good performance but given the mitigating circumstances it is hard to put a credible argument saying Sol has done a bad job. A manager who hasn't had the opportunity to bring in a single player into a side that was performing terribly who has also had to lose key players like Cox and Hopper being condemned and people calling out to bin him and start again doesn't sit right with me at all.
It seems it was Ron who made those changes not Sol. I would agree that he has done as well as can be expected with what he had - I’m not criticizing his results. But not communicating with the team for the past few months and the general lack of passion for the club is what swings it for me. I think we need a complete change and it’s possible Sol agrees if his silence is anything to go by. I think he was thrown a total hospital pass by Ron and has steadily lost interest.

We've basically done that already.

We've binned the likes of Cox and the other bad apples like Ridgewell, Kiernan. Blackman etc - and on the management side, Bond - and gone with the youngsters.

They, along with a few remaining senior players in Milligan, McLaughin and Dieng, showed against Lincoln, Oxford, Bristol Rovers that they do care and they were up for it.

That match against Lincoln was great and there was more of a connection with the team then than there had been for more than 5 years.

The win v Lincoln was a huge relief as well as a connection..... There was a great atmosphere at RH under CP in the honeymoon period....plus some of us enjoyed the win v Stevenage and our day out at Wembley.... It’s not always doom and gloomfor many of us.

How many players are we now left with?....and more importantly has Sol met with Ron.
So many clubs are clearing out playing staff .... if he is staying hopefully we might at last see the type and style of player he wants instead of watching him struggle with a mixed bag of spanners

Back