• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to move on and accept what we have. That is Ron Martin and Paul Sturrock, if we want to continue to support Southend United then we just have to get on with it. Of course we can be unhappy about the way things have happened but some people really do have to get past the Tilson thing. It was not entirely Ron Martin's fault we dropped from Championship to League 2 and many were calling for Tilson to go long before things got really bad last year. We needed a change, though I, like many, don't agree at all with the way it was handled.

Never accept Ron Martin. Paul sturrock yes but not Ron Martin

Is it Rons fault that he isn't a multiple millionaire? It's fine to blame him for everything but there doesn't appear to be a better option.
Do you think he didn't want to pay the players? Do you think he wouldn't love to spend millions in the transfer market? If Ron hasn't got the money he can't spend it but most people seem to think a football club chairman has a bottomless pit of cash. Why is that?
Now I'm not a Ron fan and I doubt many are but his easiest option at the moment is probably to send the Club into liquidation but he manages to keep it going. Just tell me what bette alternative there is.
He deserves all the blame. He got us in this mess and need to get us out of it. Better option is to sell on but he wont because it will cost him big time. He did not want to pay the players thats why they left. we now have money from sainsbury yet we cant pay Tilly and brush. The man lies all the time.
When was the last time he told the truth?

Agreed. I will support the players 100% because that is all we have. These are players that are second string players but are at least giving it a go.

He deserves all the blame. He got us in this mess and need to get us out of it. Better option is to sell on but he wont because it will cost him big time. He did not want to pay the players thats why they left. we now have money from sainsbury yet we cant pay Tilly and brush. The man lies all the time.
When was the last time he told the truth?
You will probably find he didn't pay the players cos he didn't have the money. For all we know he might be having to use the sainsbury money to play the current players. Better option is to sell on to who?
You don't honestly believe there are a queue of buyers ready to snap up a league 2 club playing in front of 5000 people do you?

You will probably find he didn't pay the players cos he didn't have the money. For all we know he might be having to use the sainsbury money to play the current players. Better option is to sell on to who?
You don't honestly believe there are a queue of buyers ready to snap up a league 2 club playing in front of 5000 people do you?

Steveo, if the right deal is on the table then of course buyers would be out there but Ron will not sell as he will lose millions from the new ground if it comes off.
As a chairman you budget for the year a head, like I do at work and ensure the staff get paid and on time. if i turned round and said to my employees your not getting paid I would imagine a mass walk out. I most probably have a bigger wage bill to deal with then Ron has over a 12 month period and I still f/cast correctly to ensure it is still a profitable business cutting back when needed and increasing further wages when required. this is what Ron should of done.
You are a fellow blue and I take your comments on board but I hate RM

Steveo, if the right deal is on the table then of course buyers would be out there but Ron will not sell as he will lose millions from the new ground if it comes off.
As a chairman you budget for the year a head, like I do at work and ensure the staff get paid and on time. if i turned round and said to my employees your not getting paid I would imagine a mass walk out. I most probably have a bigger wage bill to deal with then Ron has over a 12 month period and I still f/cast correctly to ensure it is still a profitable business cutting back when needed and increasing further wages when required. this is what Ron should of done.
You are a fellow blue and I take your comments on board but I hate RM

I respect your decision to hate RM Badger but there are a few things i think need to be considered. Running a football Club often isnt like running any other type of business. The next bit is pure guesswork by me but Promotion to the Championship was a total fluke. We were basically a League 2 CLub with League 2 finances. A mid to bottom of the table finish in League 1 would have been seen as successful by most fans but we went and won it.

Ron saw the big crowds and the packed away end and demand for tickets in the champion ship and gambled everything on staying in it which for me was his biggest mistake. If he had budgeted realistically for the Championship season, fully expecting to be relegated, we wouldnt have had any new players and to be fair we would have all moaned about him not giving Tilly any money.

Think about this: The Club is in all sorts of financial trouble with Ron being slaughtered by most fans. The easy option would be to keep his head down and hope Tilly could keep us up. Instead, he sacked the bloke who was a fans favourite and bought himself a load more aggro. This to me shows he is looking at the long term future of the Football Club, and to do this needs to get it on a firm financial footing first. His next easiest option would be to put the club into administration a face a points deduction that could mean relegation from the football league, but he has fought tooth and nail to avoid it. Just watch how many other clubs suffer the same problems in the next few years.

In your situation, suppose you had an exceptionally outstanding year and the workers came to you and requested a hefty rise and improved long term contracts. Then suppose you said yes but within a year you lost a major customer and now couldn't afford to pay those contracts. You could keep stumbling along till you ran out of money, or you could make difficult decisions that would give the business a future. What would you do?

So, yes, if a serious punter with a massive amount of cash came along, I would hope Ron would sell, but we both know thats not going to happen. so for now, lets hope for a solid season, a mid table finish and work to start at FF, then things can move forward with a manageable debt and a sound financial plan.

I respect your decision to hate RM Badger but there are a few things i think need to be considered. Running a football Club often isnt like running any other type of business. The next bit is pure guesswork by me but Promotion to the Championship was a total fluke. We were basically a League 2 CLub with League 2 finances. A mid to bottom of the table finish in League 1 would have been seen as successful by most fans but we went and won it.

Ron saw the big crowds and the packed away end and demand for tickets in the champion ship and gambled everything on staying in it which for me was his biggest mistake. If he had budgeted realistically for the Championship season, fully expecting to be relegated, we wouldnt have had any new players and to be fair we would have all moaned about him not giving Tilly any money.

Think about this: The Club is in all sorts of financial trouble with Ron being slaughtered by most fans. The easy option would be to keep his head down and hope Tilly could keep us up. Instead, he sacked the bloke who was a fans favourite and bought himself a load more aggro. This to me shows he is looking at the long term future of the Football Club, and to do this needs to get it on a firm financial footing first. His next easiest option would be to put the club into administration a face a points deduction that could mean relegation from the football league, but he has fought tooth and nail to avoid it. Just watch how many other clubs suffer the same problems in the next few years.

In your situation, suppose you had an exceptionally outstanding year and the workers came to you and requested a hefty rise and improved long term contracts. Then suppose you said yes but within a year you lost a major customer and now couldn't afford to pay those contracts. You could keep stumbling along till you ran out of money, or you could make difficult decisions that would give the business a future. What would you do?

So, yes, if a serious punter with a massive amount of cash came along, I would hope Ron would sell, but we both know thats not going to happen. so for now, lets hope for a solid season, a mid table finish and work to start at FF, then things can move forward with a manageable debt and a sound financial plan.

TBF some would argue that we didnt invest enough in the championship and certainly those we did choose to invest in were given lengthy contracts when 1 year deals with relegation release would have been the smart option.

Also do you honestly beleive that Ron thought so hard to avoid a points deduction? The only reason that he thought so hard to avoid administration was that he knew that if the administrators got in then the full mismanagement of not just sufc but his other businesses would have been laid bare and fininancial ruin was inevitable. It would have given the consortium there chance to take him out of the hot seat. Thats why he thought so hard.

As for tilson getting removed. Was it a brave move? Do any of our fans give him any stick whatever he does. he has lost us maybe 1500-2000 stay away fans .

Tilson had had enough of Rons **** and was finally finding a voice against the way the club was being run and Ron being the dictator that he is decided to remove him.

I fail to see how Ron martin can be absolved of any blame for the situation we are in. If he was to try and take over the club now he would have to show fit and proper means. I bet he is glad he is already here!

A good post however I dont need to consider Ron Martin at all I hate him

No league is won or lost after 7 games.

Morecambe didnt win any of their first 5 or 6 games last season yet still made the playoffs.

We have a decent squad but one that was assembled quickly with virtually no pre season and subsequintely are still playing catch up.

This season should be about consolidation and giving the club a decent base again so we can try and progress up the league.

We dont have bags of money, we never have and never will.

No league is won or lost after 7 games.

Morecambe didnt win any of their first 5 or 6 games last season yet still made the playoffs.

We have a decent squad but one that was assembled quickly with virtually no pre season and subsequintely are still playing catch up.

Last year Notts county was top after 7 games
Darlington was bottom after 7 games.

Do you really feel its a decent squad?
We dont have a striker who makes a difference and our defence looks like they can make mistakes at any time.
Without Grant we would be bottom and the team has to gel now.
I will take third from bottom this season so am not expecting us to win the league

Also do you honestly beleive that Ron thought so hard to avoid a points deduction? The only reason that he thought so hard to avoid administration was that he knew that if the administrators got in then the full mismanagement of not just sufc but his other businesses would have been laid bare and fininancial ruin was inevitable. It would have given the consortium there chance to take him out of the hot seat. Thats why he thought so hard.

Absolutly agree T2h. I felt at the time that administration could have been 'our saviour' - the little chancer had had his chance. The tangled web that RM has tied OUR club in could have been unraveled independently and we could have had a fresh start. Not now I am afraid, as he continues on his ducking and diving way, robbing Peter to pay Paul and all the time the Club sinks deeper on and off the field. The new stadium WILL come, Sainsburys will force that thru, will it be the 'all singing and dancing' 22K - no, my bet is that it will be as small as possible and the club will be left to fend for itself, with the 'outside finance streams' a distant pre crunch dream.

Last year Notts county was top after 7 games
Darlington was bottom after 7 games.

Do you really feel its a decent squad?
We dont have a striker who makes a difference and our defence looks like they can make mistakes at any time.
Without Grant we would be bottom and the team has to gel now.
I will take third from bottom this season so am not expecting us to win the league

Last time I looked we wernt bottom?

I dont think its a bad squad in this division.

Its only been the last 2 games where we have made really bad mistakes defensively and in both of those games Moshni has had a shocker. We all know he has the potential to be a good player but his grasp of English obviously isnt great and is causing confusion in the backline. Hopefully when Phillips is fit he'll come straight back in and we'll see a defensive improvement.

Striker wise we have a goal scorer but he's not being played at the moment, Scott Spencer. Scored a few goals last year in a higher division so no reason why he cant do it at this level.

Last time I looked we wernt bottom?

Its only been the last 2 games where we have made really bad mistakes defensively and in both of those games Moshni has had a shocker. We all know he has the potential to be a good player but his grasp of English obviously isnt great and is causing confusion in the backline. Hopefully when Phillips is fit he'll come straight back in and we'll see a defensive improvement.

Striker wise we have a goal scorer but he's not being played at the moment, Scott Spencer. Scored a few goals last year in a higher division so no reason why he cant do it at this level.

Stats, I know we are not bottom but just making you aware that you can end up where you are after 7 games!!! ( and i would take our position now)
We really have not played well all season in the league except Torquay. Bristol City and Wolves games were excellent in the cup.
I agree with scott spencer playing but his confidence must be shot to bits by now as Sturrock just dont like him by the looks of things, yet i think he could do well playing alongside corr or sturrock.
Anyway have a good weekend with what is left

Compare this team to the team that got us promoted out of this division and apart from Barker and Grant i wouldnt have any body else in that team let alone squad.

We are a bad side and that fact the we have conceded 6 points and 5 goals to two very mediocre teams in the last two games shows that.

Absolutly agree T2h. I felt at the time that administration could have been 'our saviour' - the little chancer had had his chance. The tangled web that RM has tied OUR club in could have been unraveled independently and we could have had a fresh start. Not now I am afraid, as he continues on his ducking and diving way, robbing Peter to pay Paul and all the time the Club sinks deeper on and off the field. The new stadium WILL come, Sainsburys will force that thru, will it be the 'all singing and dancing' 22K - no, my bet is that it will be as small as possible and the club will be left to fend for itself, with the 'outside finance streams' a distant pre crunch dream.

Grass roots i cant even see the new ground being built mate. I cant see how we can change the plans as so much has been spent on it , and we would have to re-submit the plans all over again for a completely new design.

I would take a 15k design right now in the same mould as donny rovers if it meant ron would move on.

Stats, I know we are not bottom but just making you aware that you can end up where you are after 7 games!!! ( and i would take our position now)
We really have not played well all season in the league except Torquay. Bristol City and Wolves games were excellent in the cup.
I agree with scott spencer playing but his confidence must be shot to bits by now as Sturrock just dont like him by the looks of things, yet i think he could do well playing alongside corr or sturrock.
Anyway have a good weekend with what is left

Indeed fella.

Suppose I'm always glass half full :)

Dont you just love football, always creates talking points :thumbsup:

If we want to stay in the football leaegue WE SHOULD NOT BE LOSING TO MORECAMBE....end of story

MAke no bones about it, our club is in serious, SERIOUS trouble

I'm so depressed about my club at the moment....When are we going to have something to smile about?

Back