• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it Rons fault that he isn't a multiple millionaire? It's fine to blame him for everything but there doesn't appear to be a better option.
Do you think he didn't want to pay the players? Do you think he wouldn't love to spend millions in the transfer market? If Ron hasn't got the money he can't spend it but most people seem to think a football club chairman has a bottomless pit of cash. Why is that?
Now I'm not a Ron fan and I doubt many are but his easiest option at the moment is probably to send the Club into liquidation but he manages to keep it going. Just tell me what bette alternative there is.
i

if you brought a horse, but could clearly not afford to pay for its up keep but funnily enough you also ran a glue factory and after a couple of years of proper neglect you let the horse die. I , you, everyone and the RSPCA would clear hold you responsible. If you cant afford something dont but it......

Last time I looked we wernt bottom?

I dont think its a bad squad in this division.

Its only been the last 2 games where we have made really bad mistakes defensively and in both of those games Moshni has had a shocker. We all know he has the potential to be a good player but his grasp of English obviously isnt great and is causing confusion in the backline. Hopefully when Phillips is fit he'll come straight back in and we'll see a defensive improvement.

Striker wise we have a goal scorer but he's not being played at the moment, Scott Spencer. Scored a few goals last year in a higher division so no reason why he cant do it at this level.

you must be easily pleased in life, I pitty your old woman, that team is abysmal. I wont not support them if I am at he game and i think this is the correct place to let it be known , but that team is nothing short of pathetic

you must be easily pleased in life, I pitty your old woman, that team is abysmal. I wont not support them if I am at he game and i think this is the correct place to let it be known , but that team is nothing short of pathetic

Agreed. I'm fed up of people telling me how its all "knee jerk reactions" and "this time 2 months ago, we didnt think we would have a team to support"

I think we are going through a disastrous spell at the moment. A team of awful league two players (who the manager thinks is good enough for league one), a delusional chairman....very upsetting

I think I'd rather we had gone into admin and start over....maybe with a change of owner

This must be the worst thread ever in terms of people not quoting each other properly.
How untidy, sort it out mods :p

What makes it worse is there are still people who try and see good/innocent in him*. The guy is a weasle and a ****.

*cue Jam man claiming no-one thinks that :)

No one does ! :)

Please show me one person saying Ron Martin is doing a good job.

The point Im making is the performance yesterday was purely football related. We have a squad that whilst put together in a rush should still perform better than it did.

The complaints from yesterday should be aimed at the team and the manager, whats the point in continually blaming Ron Martin when the on the pitch performances are down to Sturrock et al.

Are people going to spend the whole season blaming every defeat on Ron Martin ? When does it become the managers responsibilty to achieve results ? He has the same resources the rest of the division have and the only limitation he has had is the length of time he had to prepare, but we are 7 games in now.

If we want to stay in the football leaegue WE SHOULD NOT BE LOSING TO MORECAMBE....end of story

MAke no bones about it, our club is in serious, SERIOUS trouble

I'm so depressed about my club at the moment....When are we going to have something to smile about?

No we should be beating Torquay. Oh we did.

We are not losing every game, we should have won yesterday without a doubt, but we are midtable and have had some good results, beating the top of the table team, beating a championship team and being seconds from taking a premiership team to penalties. Theres been things to smile about and also things to complain about, yet this thread makes it sound like theres been no positives at all. How about a balanced view now and again?

The complaints from yesterday should be aimed at the team and the manager, whats the point in continually blaming Ron Martin when the on the pitch performances are down to Sturrock et al.

Are people going to spend the whole season blaming every defeat on Ron Martin ? When does it become the managers responsibilty to achieve results ? He has the same resources the rest of the division have and the only limitation he has had is the length of time he had to prepare, but we are 7 games in now.

But surely Ron Martin is culpable in the fact that Sturrock was his (& Jennings') appointment?
Therefore if he doesn't achieve his remit of putting this club "back where we belong" we can then blame, PS, the players of his choosing, the tactics employed and the chairman and other associates responsible?

But surely Ron Martin is culpable in the fact that Sturrock was his (& Jennings') appointment?
Therefore if he doesn't achieve his remit of putting this club "back where we belong" we can then blame, PS, the players of his choosing, the tactics employed and the chairman and other associates responsible?

No after a poor performance I lay responsibility at the managers door.

At the moment I wouldnt criticise him too much as its early days but things need to get better after yesterday.

Ron Martin is responsible for the long term performances, but theres no point complaining about him after every loss any more than there is praising him for us beating Torquay....

You will probably find he didn't pay the players cos he didn't have the money. For all we know he might be having to use the sainsbury money to play the current players. Better option is to sell on to who?
You don't honestly believe there are a queue of buyers ready to snap up a league 2 club playing in front of 5000 people do you?

This is something that we will never know until, hopefully it happens. First, there is a consortium who have expressed interest. Secondly, yes we are a league 2 club but not as small as most, and there is potential in this area of the country for large support.
When clubs get into financial difficulties there is very often a saviour. Take Luton Town as an example. Their crisis was caused by a succession of dodgy chairman creating a financial mess which also involved breaches of League/FA rules.
They are now on a much sounder footing, gates of 6500 and most importantly have a chairman and board with Luton Town connections (similar to the so called consortium?)
OK, they are playing non league football but that was due to the misdemeanours of their previous regimes. In many ways, they are in a much better position than us with a bunch of genuine people running the club.

The point Im making is the performance yesterday was purely football related. We have a squad that whilst put together in a rush should still perform better than it did.

Lets think about it though Jam. This squad is nowhere near the quality that last years team was. So as much as it may be down to football problems, you can trace it back to Martin. If he hadn't ****ed the club, we'd have never got relegated, (let alone worry about losing 2-3 at home to Morecombe). Look at the facts. We've accrued a bunch of Sturrock's old boys, who no-one else wanted, whilst the majority of last years team are playing in the divisions above us. That's one person's fault. People can talk about overreactions etc, but in 12 short months, we've seen our team go from being comfortable mid-table in L1, to anyone's guess in L2. Whose fault is that?

The complaints from yesterday should be aimed at the team and the manager, whats the point in continually blaming Ron Martin when the on the pitch performances are down to Sturrock et al

From what I saw they all put a shift in, but just weren't good enough. Last year we saw decent players giving 60% effort. Martin's fault. This year we're watching mediocre/below average players giving 100%. Again Martin's fault.

Strange, as I recall Sturrock admitting on the radio that he doesn't have money to spend, despite Ron's claims that we'd be one of the highest earner's in L2???

Oh, and I wonder what's happened to that £5m that Sainsbury's gave us? Have we been told about that yet? Let me guess, players wages? Pfffft

Lets think about it though Jam. This squad is nowhere near the quality that last years team was. So as much as it may be down to football problems, you can trace it back to Martin. If he hadn't ****ed the club, we'd have never got relegated, (let alone worry about losing 2-3 at home to Morecombe). Look at the facts. We've accrued a bunch of Sturrock's old boys, who no-one else wanted, whilst the majority of last years team are playing in the divisions above us. That's one person's fault. People can talk about overreactions etc, but in 12 short months, we've seen our team go from being comfortable mid-table in L1, to anyone's guess in L2. Whose fault is that?

From what I saw they all put a shift in, but just weren't good enough. Last year we saw decent players giving 60% effort. Martin's fault. This year we're watching mediocre/below average players giving 100%. Again Martin's fault.

Strange, as I recall Sturrock admitting on the radio that he doesn't have money to spend, despite Ron's claims that we'd be one of the highest earner's in L2???

Oh, and I wonder what's happened to that £5m that Sainsbury's gave us? Have we been told about that yet? Let me guess, players wages? Pfffft

Will give some green to this when I can :thumbsup:

Lets think about it though Jam. This squad is nowhere near the quality that last years team was. So as much as it may be down to football problems, you can trace it back to Martin. If he hadn't ****ed the club, we'd have never got relegated,

Agreed. Complain about that and his mismanagement of the club all you like. However when we lose a game, lets let Sturrock shoulder some blame.

(let alone worry about losing 2-3 at home to Morecombe). Look at the facts. We've accrued a bunch of Sturrock's old boys, who no-one else wanted, whilst the majority of last years team are playing in the divisions above us. That's one person's fault. People can talk about overreactions etc, but in 12 short months, we've seen our team go from being comfortable mid-table in L1, to anyone's guess in L2. Whose fault is that?

Ron Martins.

However we have a team of our own players now good enough for this level proven by some decent results, so when we lose a game lets focus on that game and stop letting the manager and players off the hook because we had problems before they arrived.

They did wellagainst Wolves, Bristol City and Torquay, they can do well again. WE cant expect to win every game although we can be disappointed with yesterday.

No one in this league has money to spend on transfers, and never has Ron claimed we will spend any, and we may well still be one of the highest earners, because he is talking about salary and we have a pretty sizable squad.

3.2 million was spent on debts like HMRC and the remaining amount is budgeted to pay bills and salaries for the next 12 months.

Please dont tell me after all this time you are still expecting the club to be spending money and there should be a warchest after the problems we have had?!

Last edited:
In any business the buck stops at the top. RM has not done us any favours BUT we are where we are and need to move forward but how when no money is made available tio improve! Last seasons mess was down to RM not Tilly. This season RM has 'funded' a new squad but a squad that no else wanted! We signed players at the last knocking. I think Sturrock now knows he has a problem, but he has no backing to sort it out. We were told we had the loan market, but I don't see any loan signings (except to cover injury). Problem is no one wants to borrow any of our squad so basically we have no room to do anything and no money to do anything to me this is RM's fault, put simply more resources means more buying power equals success??

In any business the buck stops at the top.

Overall performance in the long term yes, but that doesnt absolve players and manager. You might as well say for every misplaced pass a player makes its Ron Martins fault because he is at the top.

RM has not done us any favours BUT we are where we are and need to move forward but how when no money is made available tio improve! Last seasons mess was down to RM not Tilly. This season RM has 'funded' a new squad but a squad that no else wanted!

Not completely true.

Easton was offered a contract, Northampton were livid Gilbert left. Hall was offered a contract at Aldershot.

Problem is no one wants to borrow any of our squad so basically we have no room to do anything and no money to do anything to me this is RM's fault, put simply more resources means more buying power equals success??

Ron Martin has no money indeed. How much you can blame a chairman for not being a millionaire I dont know !

Buying power doesnt seem to have stopped Bournemouth etc...

Are we going to have a thread moaning about Ron after every defeat?

Seriously, the amount of times the same thread has been created is just ridiculous. Find it funny how people can change their minds so quickly.

Tilson sacked - OUTRAGE

Sturrock hired and signs players - WELL DONE, TILSON WOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT

Lose a game - STURROCK OUT

Win a few games in a row - STURROCK = LEGEND!

Lose a game - TILSON WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER

YES, he mismanaged the club.

YES, he did gamble on players fees and salaries.

YES, he did spend money trying to push the stadium through (we all would have moaned if he didn't).

Just accept it and move on, it was a while ago.

Seriously, the amount of times the same thread has been created is just ridiculous. Find it funny how people can change their minds so quickly.

Tilson sacked - OUTRAGE

YES, he did spend money trying to push the stadium through (we all would have moaned if he didn't).

Exactly.

Before the Northampton team everyones talking about promotion etc yet now we lost a couple the squad is destroyed and the club is wrecked.

What he said ^

Tilson sacked - OUTRAGE

And him ^ :smiles:

Last edited:
I started this thread and I have not said that we would get promotion at all.
I am not a Tilly superfan but he was treated ufairly by Mr.Martin.
Sturrock has done well with what Mr.Martin has given him.
After each game I feel the same about this man.Hate
If you want I will start slagging him off in the ground instead of getting behind the team.
I get my frustrations out on this message board rather than the ground
Some of you need to see what this man has done.
To say we have to accept this is just a joke

If fact i would have a thread moaning about ron Martin every day not just after every game, wake up FFS

Back