• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So Swann did eventually choose that gig over the rest of the tour then. He's gone down hugely in my estimations... retiring mid-series will only serve to further rock the boat and I'd expect far more from a cricketer who's built an image on being "England through and through". Utterly selfish.

So Swann did eventually choose that gig over the rest of the tour then. He's gone down hugely in my estimations... retiring mid-series will only serve to further rock the boat and I'd expect far more from a cricketer who's built an image on being "England through and through". Utterly selfish.

Couldn't agree more, why do it mid series? Why not do it after the series. The bloke has not done himself any favours and it just makes us look even more of a joke than we already do.

Cheers Swann, hope you enjoy the show.

Would he have "had enough" if were winning or drawing the series? It also seems strange that he is quitting all forms of cricket to me, he is only 34.

What do you mean mid-series?

Are people in denial? We've lost. The series is over.

And so was his international career as he was about to be dropped having taken 7 wickets at 80 and been smashed all over Australia at 4 runs per over.

England would have gained nothing by picking for two dead rubbers an out of form player who wouldn't be part of their plans going forward. And having a demob happy individual hang around the squad would just have been a distraction.

I wonder if they said 'look we are not going to play you in the next test and you are retiring at the end of the series anyway. Would you like to do it your way or ours.

I bet Pietersen would have been crucified if he'd have done this. The series may be lost, but it isn't over - we still have two Test matches to play, against our biggest rival. Ok, so Swann was about to be dropped, but there is such a thing as a 'good tourist'. He could have sucked it up, do drinks duty when called upon, then retired after the Sydney Test.

For me, it makes for a slightly sour end to a wonderful career - over 250 Test wickets at a shade under 30. His unerring ability to take a wicket in the first over of a spell was something else.

Thanks for the memories Swanny, just wished you'd stuck it out for a couple more weeks.

Class off-spinner. Thanks for everything Swanny. Cook needs to develop his own England team now, Strauss' side is finished, and there's no point waiting around in looking to the next 3 years.

I bet Pietersen would have been crucified if he'd have done this. The series may be lost, but it isn't over - we still have two Test matches to play, against our biggest rival. Ok, so Swann was about to be dropped, but there is such a thing as a 'good tourist'. He could have sucked it up, do drinks duty when called upon, then retired after the Sydney Test.

For me, it makes for a slightly sour end to a wonderful career - over 250 Test wickets at a shade under 30. His unerring ability to take a wicket in the first over of a spell was something else.

Thanks for the memories Swanny, just wished you'd stuck it out for a couple more weeks.

exactly how i see it.

The best thing is for Swann to be away from the team.

You don't want the 12th man to be sitting down for Christmas lunch and tucking into a huge helping of Christmas pudding whilst his team-mates look on enviously. And the alternative is him resenting having to sacrifice Christmas when he isn't going to be in the team.

A clean break is in everyone's interest.

Anyway, check out the Saffers v India.

Beefy ,you will enjoy the Boxing day test , first day played in front of 90000 people, its the best first days test cricket in the World,as for swann retiring ,hes had a good career for you people but believe me you have a decent spinner in the making already a part of your team in the young 22year old who got in a fight with our opening batsmen in England.He has shown himself to be a decent bowler also as well as batsmen.

Also dont be too disappointed ,you have unearthed another good young all rounder in Stokes, young man has a future can bowl at a decent pace and bats well also.That ball that bowled Cook first ball was a beauty, not the sort of ball any batsman want to get first up,Cook is class he will come back as will Pietersen, he just needs to get away from Siddle.

You don't want the 12th man to be sitting down for Christmas lunch and tucking into a huge helping of Christmas pudding whilst his team-mates look on enviously. And the alternative is him resenting having to sacrifice Christmas when he isn't going to be in the team.

Swann seems intent on making this as messy as possible, firing a few barbs at existing squad members in his presser. Whatever his feelings, there is nothing good that can come from such comments especially during a series that, despite the result, is still only just over half way. Making a big song and dance about Pietersen is in nobody's best interests but his own, and it's a horribly self-serving way to go out. Very disappointing from a player who's had such a glittering career with England. Even if he had to go at this point, ducking out with a "it's my time, had some fantastic memories, been a great ride etc", would've been a fitting end. This just comes across as bitterness.

Great match shame SA bottled it at the end,no wonder test cricket attendances struggle in some parts of the world,shame on you Saffers.:zzzzz:

Also dont be too disappointed ,you have unearthed another good young all rounder in Stokes, young man has a future can bowl at a decent pace and bats well also.That ball that bowled Cook first ball was a beauty, not the sort of ball any batsman want to get first up,Cook is class he will come back as will Pietersen, he just needs to get away from Siddle.

I hope we don't get too excited too early about stokes. Plenty of people have had a good innings here and there and while a test match hundred on that wicket is no mean feat if I remember correctly he was dropped at least once.

I hope we don't get too excited too early about stokes. Plenty of people have had a good innings here and there and while a test match hundred on that wicket is no mean feat if I remember correctly he was dropped at least once.

There does seem to be a feeling of grabbing on to any positives we can find. Seems a great prospect of course, but in Atherton's last piece for The Times, he was practically giving Stokes the six spot for the next decade.

The 6 spot is certainly Stokes' to lose.

He's shown he can do it, he now needs to do it consistently. Like Root there will be some growing pains but both are major talents who had been earmarked for greatness before they made the test side.

England will need to manage their workloads. Trott lasted 4 years on the international treadmill, Swann 5 years.

England need to ensure Root and Stokes are still contributing in 8 years' time and that means fewer tours.

Popped down to the MCG yesterday and ended up watching England in the nets for about an hour. They looked ok and morale still seems high. Tremlett looks the pick of the bowlers at the minute. Hope he plays.

Back