• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE ASHES

Sam Northeast would be my call to bring into England, wouldn’t drop Woakes can bat and bowl. Jimmy A would have to really prove he can stay 5 days, Ashes to balanced to take a chance, he’s 37 and injuries take longer to heal, just would hate to see him break down end the ashes and his career on a low

Sam Northeast would be my call to bring into England, wouldn’t drop Woakes can bat and bowl. Jimmy A would have to really prove he can stay 5 days, Ashes to balanced to take a chance, he’s 37 and injuries take longer to heal, just would hate to see him break down end the ashes and his career on a low

He’s played the one seconds game and is about to play another.
Root hardly bowled Woakes and when he did come on he didn’t threaten. He’s the obvious change.
Northeast is a good player but I doubt he’ll get called up. Olly Pope is next in line.

Sadly I agree with Pope
Re Anderson is two games second Xl enough, if calf as reported it can be very dormant, but then I have not got best medical team, my calf through running was 5 months out again 23 years older and not as supple ??

Anderson has bowled 20 overs in second string game - next few days will be key.
If no reaction then he plays.
Do we really need him right this minute (especially with how well Archer and Broad are bowling) and risk another breakdown? I'd be tempted to save him until the 5th (and final) Test.

He’s played the one seconds game and is about to play another.
Root hardly bowled Woakes and when he did come on he didn’t threaten. He’s the obvious change.
Northeast is a good player but I doubt he’ll get called up. Olly Pope is next in line.

The trouble is that Archer would be awfully high at no.8. We'll have gone from that lower order being a real strength with Woakes/CurranS/Ali at 8 and 9 to it being a liability. Think the selectors may be reluctant to do that for that reason, particularly with our batting order being so flaky.

Probably total wrong, but I think it will be a while till Ali, makes a test team

Confidence shot to pieces, can only see him as a bowler in the team.Similar to Broad a while back could rely on him to hit runs and hang about but that "Bouncer" clearly had a massive effect on his mind set(And I don' blame him)

Sam Curran a prospect and I am a fan but wonder at the moment he has the temperament to hold on to his wicket, without a big Yahoo shot

The bowler we miss and only my opinion Mark Woods hope at 29 he can recover next season and fill that available gap

The trouble is that Archer would be awfully high at no.8. We'll have gone from that lower order being a real strength with Woakes/CurranS/Ali at 8 and 9 to it being a liability. Think the selectors may be reluctant to do that for that reason, particularly with our batting order being so flaky.

You need 20 wickets to win a test and the quicker you take them the less runs your batsmen need to make.
Batsmen bat and bowlers bowl.
It’s a no brainer.

Probably total wrong, but I think it will be a while till Ali, makes a test team

Confidence shot to pieces, can only see him as a bowler in the team.Similar to Broad a while back could rely on him to hit runs and hang about but that "Bouncer" clearly had a massive effect on his mind set(And I don' blame him)

Sam Curran a prospect and I am a fan but wonder at the moment he has the temperament to hold on to his wicket, without a big Yahoo shot

The bowler we miss and only my opinion Mark Woods hope at 29 he can recover next season and fill that available gap

I expect Jack Leach will have a decent run in the team now, Moeen Ali’s loss of form and confidence means a stint in county cricket. If he wants it, he’ll be back but don’t rule out him being the latest to only wanting to play one day cricket.
The selectors can’t fit Curran in at the moment but he will play plenty of tests for England.
As for Mark Wood, I’m a massive fan but he’s a walking injury and needs to find a bowling coach who can save his career. The stress he’s putting his body through is clearly too much. Frankly, I’m surprised he made it through the World Cup all be it just.

As a member of the left arm finger spinning union was very impressed with Leach in the second test. He was very unlucky not to have got more wickets and a possible win on that last day. Lands it in the right spot has good turn and varies the height of deliveries. You have to be brave if you want wickets and not bowl to flat and safe.....Far more control than Ali and importantly not bowling to many filthy 4 balls that take all the pressure of the batsmen.

Loved the fact that he went back to his old club and played league cricket when he wasn't picked for the first test. Apparently he was 3rd change bowler and batted at 8...As well as Paying his £10 subs......A few weeks later he is out in the middle for one of the most memorable wins in Ashes history.....Good on you Jack leach, keep it up.

Do we really need him right this minute (especially with how well Archer and Broad are bowling) and risk another breakdown? I'd be tempted to save him until the 5th (and final) Test.

It's happened and he's now out of the 4th and 5th tests. I suppose the silver lining was that this time it was tested it in matches before the test started and so we don't have to play the test with 10 men like in the first test.

Interesting that there's no changes to the batting line up in that squad. I can see Curran coming in for Woakes.

I fancy Roy to come good in this Test....

I fear this could be the end for Jimmy. How very sad for him.
England will never have such a great bowler again.
Obviously you stick with the same batting line up, I mean they’ve looked in total control all summer.
Suppose they might move Roy down the order and have Denly open. All that will happen there mind is the Aussie quicks will bowl it under his nose. He plays the short ball as bad as I’ve seen.
Huge missed opportunity to freshen things up IMO.

Obviously you stick with the same batting line up, I mean they’ve looked in total control all summer.
Suppose they might move Roy down the order and have Denly open. All that will happen there mind is the Aussie quicks will bowl it under his nose. He plays the short ball as bad as I’ve seen.

You say that and - and I know it's incredibly early days - but I've got to say Archer doesn't half look good.

Look on the bright side, we still have Broady.

Shame for Jimmy he may have even announced his retirement before the Oval.
Would have been nice to seem him get the guard of honour.

Denly opens and Roy at four. Have to win one game and avoid defeat in the other or Australia retain the urn. Stokes heroics are confined to the history books. It’s what happens from now that’s important.

Last time an all rounder smashed them all over Headingly, he didn't do to bad at Old Trafford if I remember right

Back