• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
BLUES DRAW BLANK BUT STOP THE ROT

Prior to tonights match, my own view was that it was imperative not to lose again so any sort of result would be a positive.  This was aside from my own optimistic opinion that we would win a comfortable 3-0 of course.

Chesterfield are one of the divisions form teams and would be sure to put up a decent showing.  However, it was Blues who started strongly and dominated early possession without actually creating any clear cut opportunities.  Steve Tilson fielded an unchanged line up and Shaun Goater started the match like a man possessed.  Maher looked back to his best and Gower was giving his full back a hard time.  Everyone looked on top of their game and Blues were quicker to every ball and winning all of the 50/50's.  It took 20 minutes however before the first shot in anger came, an effort from Freddy that fizzed well wide.  Campbell-Ryce was putting in a tremendous amount of effort, especially defensively, and both full backs were much better than they had been on Saturday in the cup.

The first half however produced little in the way of goalmouth action, although Freddy had the games best chance when he fired narrowly wide from 15 yards after a patient passing move.  Goater, despite starting well, had deteriorated and really was not getting anywhere at all against his marker.

The second half saw the intoduction of Gray for Goater and Lawson for Gower.  Presumably both players were injured, otherwise it was an incredibly brave double substitution.  Almost immediately however Gray made an impact and Southend looked a more potent attacking force.  Again, they had the better of the opening exchanges but Chesterfield pressed well.  The first 10 minutes of the second period produced error after error for both teams, as each midfielder seemed to take it in turns giving possession away.  Then the ball broke for Jay Smith who had a shot that cleared the crossbar.  Almost immediately Chesterfield started to get the upper hand and created a clear cut chance that really should have been converted.  A good move saw Derek Niven set up 10 yards out but he shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

Campbell-Ryce then was put clear but shot across goal when he could have taken it in further.

Midway through the half Southend upped the tempo and a short passing move saw Maher set up in the box but his low shot was easily saved.  But shortly afterwards Chesterfield again cut Blues open and really should have scored when Wayne Allison sidefooted towards an empty net but missed by so much that the ball didn't go out of play, and the forward who received the ball and shot wide was offside.

James Lawson then cut in from the left and hit a shot that was deflected just wide.

It was all Southend but Chesterfield were defending manfully and closing down at every opportunity.  However, both Wayne Gray and Lewis Hunt were set up in identical positions, about 12 yards out on the right and at an angle of about 45 degrees to the goal, and the keeper denied them on both occasions.

There was lots of huff and puff from Southend but the ball didn't run for them and they didn't get the ball into the box enough.  Campbell-Ryce seemed to lose confidence as the game progressed and spent most of the second half only 3 or 4 yards away from Lewis Hunt when he should have been running into the space behind the full back.  Bentley came on for an off colour Jay Smith but couldn't make much of an impact.  There was plenty of goalmouth action but to be honest a goal never looked likely.  Still, for the first time since the 0-0 draw against Scunthorpe last season at the Hall, 33 league games ago, Southend have had a no-score draw in the league and the losing streak has been halted.  For those who believe in omens, the Scunny result was the pre-cursor to our run of 9 unbeaten league matches that cemented our play off position.  I'd take that again.  Bring on Bradford for hopefully our first "double" of the season.

Ratings:

Flahavan - 7 - Had little to do.  Came for a couple of crosses and looked assured.

Hunt - 8 - MOM - Much better than last Saturday.  Should have scored his first Southend goal but was denied by the keeper.  Hardly put a foot wrong.
Wilson - 7 - Again, much improved display from last Saturday.  More like his early season standard.
Barrett - 7 - A good game from him, and made one crucial (if a touch lucky) block in the first half
Prior - 6 - Not one of his better games.  Distribution worse than normal.  Still, doesn't shirk responsibility and looked solid with Barrett.

Gower - 7 - I would think he was injured when subbed as he was one of the better first half players.  We look more dangerous with him in the side.
Smith - 5 - Poor game from Jay.  The class he possesses was just not evident. Still, I remember it took 3 or 4 games when he came back from injury last time for him to start looking the part.
Maher - 7 - Much better although seemed to do his best to give the ball away in the first 15 minutes of the second half.  Nearly got his first of the season.
Campbell-Ryce - 7.5 - Had he not tailed off in the second half he would have probably got MOM.  However, he frustratingly stuck too close to Hunt and failed to go past his man and deliver a cross... is this a confidence thing?  Got unwarranted abuse and criticism IMHO from the West stand.  Defensively his work is solid and he lends much to the team in that department.

Goater - 4 - Started ok but quickly faded.  Where is his next goal coming from?
Eastwood - 6 - Had 2 or 3 chances and didn't make the keeper work.  Was getting frustrated late on.

Subs -

Gray - 7.  Surely must start on Saturday.  Looks much more potent than Goater at the moment.
Lawson - 7 - Some good stuff but must toughen up a bit.  Knocked off the ball too easily.
Bentley - 6 - Struggled a bit but if Gower is injured I'd like to see him start v Bradford wide right.

Ref - G Hegley - 8 - best ref I've seen this season.  Let the game run and played advantage well.  Seemed to have the players respect as there wasn't any dissent or backchat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 06 2005,23:32)]Ref - G Hegley - 8 - best ref I've seen this season.  Let the game run and played advantage well.  Seemed to have the players respect as there wasn't any dissent or backchat.
Such is the workings of the Football Association (and Trevor Kettle's father-in-law) that this referee has just returned from suspension for less than proficiently applying the Laws of the Game when he failed to show a red card to a player for an offence after the final whistle (yes, as serious as that!). How perverse because he was, as you say, as good a referee as we've seen at the Hall for many a match. First class performance and, unlike some, did not want to be the centre of attention. Deserved a better match.

How the fcuk are chesterfield one of the form teams. They were w%&k tonight!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Dec. 07 2005,00:30)]How the fcuk are chesterfield one of the form teams. They were w%&k tonight!
Or did we make them look that way?

I think we have to give credit where credit is due.  They cancelled us out at times and vice versa.  What we saw tonight was a match between 2 teams in the top 6 of league one that were fairly well matched and the draw was probably a fair result.

Any team can look good if you give them time on the ball. When Sir Bobby Robson was Newcastle manager and they were in a crisis (no change there then) he had several fans ask why they couldn't play the lovely flowing football they achieve on the training ground every day on match days.  Sir Bobby replied "Because on match days we have a team of 11 other players trying to stop us".

This is very true and not enough credence IMHO is given to the opposition.  I am not disheartened by tonights performance or result. Chesterfield are a strong side that will finish probably in the play offs.  On tonights showing so will we.  

Come on people - it's not all doom and gloom!

The first half was dire, better in the 2nd positive changes at half-time. Anyway we've stopped the rot and have a chance of 3 pts against bradford on saturday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 06 2005,23:32)]Ref - G Hegley - 8 - best ref I've seen this season.  Let the game run and played advantage well.  Seemed to have the players respect as there wasn't any dissent or backchat.
agreed. throughout the game i was thinking this, my only criticism was that i dont think he has heard of the hand ball rule but apart from that was most defiantely M.OM

The only thread that is worth reading, thank f%&k for FBM,

cannot look at the majority of threads anymore this bored is so negative and confrontational, I feel sorry for the people that created it, having to see it this way

The ref was top notch. Many moaning about him in the South Upper but he was very good. Lino's not so and you can't blame the ref for not giving offside if the flag stays down.

The game was better than Sat for me but it was more huff and puff than quality. I thought Hunt was poor and his vision was awful but reading others views maybe it was JCR not moving for him so I shall give him the benefit of doubt. Mind you not moving for people seems to be an epidemic throughout the team at the moment. The Goat will retire in the new year. If he don't he bloody should, we could put his wages to much better use elsewhere. Why was we defending with everyone back at times? As soon as we clear the ball it comes straight back. It's not like the Goat can sprint from our box to there's is it. Gray made a massive difference and should start Saturday please.

Oh one more thing. Tilly if you can't see how a game is going from where you stand then seat 97 in row B of the South Upper was free and you can get a supporters view.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ Dec. 07 2005,08:56)]
[b said:
agreed. throughout the game i was thinking this, my only criticism was that i dont think he has heard of the hand ball rule but apart from that was most defiantely M.OM
Agree with the posts about the ref who while in the main excellent in trying to keep the game going and not brandishing cards at every incident, did miss a few hand balls. I am glad others have remarked on it as i was just off to specsavers.

It's nice to see a realistic and positive view about last night. You are a footballing scholar FBM - a knowledgeable football fan whose article is always worth reading. Thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Dec. 07 2005,09:28)]The only thread that is worth reading, thank f%&k for FBM,

cannot look at the majority of threads anymore this bored is so negative and confrontational, I feel sorry for the people that created it, having to see it this way
down.gif

Twas ever thus.  Give anyone an inch... and they'll always want a mile.

Give a Shrimpers fan three trips to the Millennium stadium, promotion, and fourth in the table... and they'll moan because we aren't playing like feckin' Brazil.

suspect.gif

A clean sheet, a stop to our run of defeats, a platform to build on.  Time for some supporters to do their job - and that is to <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SUPPORT</span> the bloody team.

Moan over.

Matt

P.S. Yes, thank heavens for fbm's reports.  Don't know what I'd do without them at times.

Thanks for the words of praise guys... it&#39;s nice to know that when you spend time doing something that is essentially for the benefit of others it is appreciated.

FWIW I always find it helps to NEVER look at any other other threads, views or reports from the game before I write it. That way I can always give purely my own view, and I do try and see it objectively from both sides.

Again, can&#39;t argue with any of your observations/ratings. I share your optimistic and positive view - just wish more people on here did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 07 2005,09:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Dec. 07 2005,09:28)]The only thread that is worth reading, thank f%&k for FBM,

down.gif

Twas ever thus.  Give anyone an inch... and they'll always want a mile.

Give a Shrimpers fan three trips to the Millennium stadium, promotion, and fourth in the table... and they'll moan because we aren't playing like feckin' Brazil.

suspect.gif

A clean sheet, a stop to our run of defeats, a platform to build on.  Time for some supporters to do their job - and that is to <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SUPPORT</span> the bloody team.

Moan over.

Matt

P.S. Yes, thank heavens for fbm's reports.  Don't know what I'd do without them at times.
And the other thing that may or may not be an issue in the future..

Even if we win all our games, play superbly, win the league and gain promotion to the Championship, keep our best players by upping the wages to Championship level and bringing in better players, there will still be a large section of moaners.

But what could they moan about, I hear you ask?

Simple. The ticket prices.

If we get promoted, I'll guarantee everyone will be whingeing about the fact that we have to pay £20 to watch.

All lower league teams suffer from this and we are not alone. We fans long for the time when we can rub shoulders with the big boys on merit, and when we eventually do we can't hack the stuff that comes with the territory.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 07 2005,09:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Dec. 07 2005,09:28)]The only thread that is worth reading, thank f%&amp;k for FBM,

down.gif

Twas ever thus. Give anyone an inch... and they&#39;ll always want a mile.

Give a Shrimpers fan three trips to the Millennium stadium, promotion, and fourth in the table... and they&#39;ll moan because we aren&#39;t playing like feckin&#39; Brazil.

suspect.gif

A clean sheet, a stop to our run of defeats, a platform to build on. Time for some supporters to do their job - and that is to <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SUPPORT</span> the bloody team.

Moan over.

Matt

P.S. Yes, thank heavens for fbm&#39;s reports. Don&#39;t know what I&#39;d do without them at times.
God, you&#39;re always bloody moaning aren&#39;t you Matt.

tounge.gif

I was impressed by the way that the Ref dealt with Roche&#39;s timewasting on goal kicks. No need for cards, just told him, and then his captain, to hurry it up. Obviously he doesn&#39;t like dishing out cards if he can avoid it, that one.

surely the idea if this forum is for people to have opinions whether it is supporting the team or not? We dont all want to lick the club/players ars*s 24 hours a day. If we play sh&#33;t then people have the right to moan/boo at the end of the game as they pay good money to watch it (I personally dont moan or abuse the players but keep my thoughts inwards)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ Dec. 07 2005,10:21)]surely the idea if this forum is for people to have opinions whether it is supporting the team or not? We dont all want to lick the club/players ars*s 24 hours a day. If we play sh&#33;t then people have the right to moan/boo at the end of the game as they pay good money to watch it (I personally dont moan or abuse the players but keep my thoughts inwards)
exactly.

if we cant moan in the echo, cant moan at the ground, heres the best place&#33;

unclesam.gif

I&#39;m sorry I have just checked back through the posts and I can&#39;t find one person moaning about the three trips to Cardiff or the promotion last season.

What I can see is 3 goals in the last 5 games with 8 conceded. 1 point from the last 12. Out of all cup competitions, and people saying at least we are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th in the table. Yes we are only 7 points from the top but we are also 7 points from bottom half.

Maybe the 8 game run has given us false expectations and I have been watching Southend long enough to know better but I am unhappy with things.

Christ I don&#39;t hurl abuse at players and I try to support the team through thick and thin, but if I can&#39;t moan at the game and I can&#39;t moan in the press and I can&#39;t moan on the web when the fluck can I?

Back