• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Now call me Mr Pessimistic, but in some ways I am slightly nervous about the 2nd leg.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great result, but Bristol need to score 2 at the Hall to stand any chance at all.  Even if we go 1-0 up, they still only need to score 2, so we would need to be 2-0 up to give us any major advantage...

But hey, that's all for the second leg.  Great credit to the lads for a cracking victory in the West country tonight.

Atkins had obviously tried to do his homework and had set out with what appeared to be a 4-5-1 formation, with Agogo on his own up front.  The result was an enormous amount of space for Blues to build from the back and as a result Rovers were not in it.  After 8 minutes Pettefer linked up well with Hunt who squared the ball from the right to Dudfield, who aimed a shot but missed the ball as it squirmed off his standing leg.  However, the ball found it's way to Gower, who threaded a great pass through to Hunt again, who crossed for Duds to head home.   1-0 and a great start!

Southend were dominant and started to showboat a little.  Tes was dominant in the air early on, but then tried an audacious back heel which failed and nearly set Rovers on a break.  Gower then tried something similar and it seemed as though Blues wanted to walk it into the net.  Rovers were there for the taking and yet we had not added to our early goal.  Then, Atkins replaced Trollope with Walker and went 4-4-2.  Instantly Bristol started to threaten, and within 2 minutes they had had their first shot of the match.  A minute later they were awarded a penalty when Barrett brought down Agogo in the box.  Luckily for Blues he smacked the bar with his effort but the rest of the half belonged to Rovers with Southend stuggling slightly and lots of passes going wayward.

The second half started in a similar vein with Rovers pressing more.  Barrett was looking jittery against his ex-employers, but Wilson, Prior and Hunt were excellent in keeping the home side out.  Then, a rather dodgy free kick was given to Rovers about 25 yards out in a central position.  The ball was touched to James Hunt who rifled a shot at the top corner but Flavs was equal to it and made a fine save to tip the ball for a corner.  Sadly, the defence went to sleep from this set piece as the ball was floated in for an unmarked Walker to score.

Briefly Rovers rallied again, and briefly the home fans found their voice.  But then Southend started to dominate and Dudfield, Gower, Prior and and Barrett had some good chances before Gower, with 66 minutes played, cut in from the left and let fly a "Marky Gower special" which took a slight deflection before ripping into the Bristol net.

Southend then had the upper hand possession wise, but Rovers still threatened occasionally and James Hunt let rip another shot which fizzed past Darryls upright.  He himself then failed to claim a cross which fell to an attacker who couldn't finish, and they hit the bar in the last minute.  Blues also had chances to extend their lead with a Pettefer shot, a Barrett header, and a Wayne Gray chance.  But 2-1 it stayed and set Southend up for the home leg on 8/3/05.

Ratings:

Flahavan - 7 - Made a couple of decent saves and was generally sound.

Hunt - 8 - Back to his best.  An excellent right back perfprmance
Barrett- 6 - Unusually edgy and not his dominant self
Prior - 8 -  Masterful.
Wilson - 8.5 - MOM - Hardly put a foot wrong and showed the Gas fans what they have missed.

Pettefer - 6 - Did ok - Huffed and puffed as usual
Maher - 8 - Much better and he helped break up numerous attacks
Bentley - 7 - Much improved but booked again.  He will go in with studs showing...
Gower - 7 - Apart from setting up the first and scoringa blinding winner, he did very, very little.  If it hadn't been for the goal and assist I would have given him a 5 or 6

Dudfield - 7 - Great headed first goal and he looked reasonably sharp
Bramble - 5.5 - Not a great day for Tes as he became more and more tired.  Whatever he tried failed.

Subs -

Nicolau - 6 - on for Gower after 70 but couldn't get involved
Gray - 7 - on for Bramble and he never stopped working for the cause.

Excellent, looking forward to the second leg.

Sorry it's a bit short today, but it's bloody late and I'm knackered!

well done. great account. Up the Blues
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 16 2005,09:53)]Wilson mom? Blimey.
Yeah, in my opinion he was excellent. Talking to a few Gas fans in the pub before the game, they were sorry to see him go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 16 2005,10:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 16 2005,09:53)]Wilson mom? Blimey.
Yeah, in my opinion he was excellent.  Talking to a few Gas fans in the pub before the game, they were sorry to see him  go.
fair enough. Nice to see him get credit when it's deserved.

Unusally, I'm going to disagree with a couple of the fbm ratings there...

Flahavan - gets a 6 for me.  One suicidal moment in the second half where he tried to come and punch a ball which he was never going to get anywhere near was redolent of his horror-show against Yeovil last season.  A better side than the Gas would have punished Flavs stupidity... his foolish sortie left our goal completely unprotected, and had the Gas scored (which they ought to have done, really) all our hard work would have been in vain.  That excellent save from Hunt's free-kick aside, I thought it was an edgy performance from Darryl... so much so, that I was itching to find wiggy so that I could take him to task about his previous lionisation of his beloved Flavs...

Pettefer - 7.  Did lots to keep one of the better of The Gas's players, Williams, quiet.

Maher - 5.5.  Sat far too deep, and conceded buckets of space - especially at the start of the second half - which allowed a generally mediocre Gas side back into the game.

Gower - 6... even with that strike.  What an enigma.  As Ken Jarvis rightly pointed out to me at Reading services, Gower produces the magic that wins matches.  But he was crusing for a 3 or 4 until that moment, and Tilly wouldn't have been criticised for taking him off.

Bramble - 5, woefully off the pace.  Never really involved at all.

Dudfield - 8.5, and my MoM.  A goal, followed by a quiet first half; but a second half performance that was pure & utter quality.  So much harrassing, chasing, endeavour, won maybe 5 or 6 corners single-handedly.  Hugely impressive.

Let's not get carried away, folks.  The Gas were poor - very poor in the first ten minutes whilst playing 4-5-1 - and we ought to have put them to the sword.  We didn't, and they're still very much in this tie.  In addition, in Agogo they had one of the most dangerous-looking players on the pitch.

They are still in this tie - not least because (a) we need to play better; and (b) I can't imagine they'll play as badly in 2 weeks' time.

suspect.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 16 2005,11:39)]Unusally, I'm going to disagree with a couple of the fbm ratings there...

Flahavan - gets a 6 for me.  One suicidal moment in the second half where he tried to come and punch a ball which he was never going to get anywhere near was redolent of his horror-show against Yeovil last season.  A better side than the Gas would have punished Flavs stupidity... his foolish sortie left our goal completely unprotected, and had the Gas scored (which they ought to have done, really) all our hard work would have been in vain.  That excellent save from Hunt's free-kick aside, I thought it was an edgy performance from Darryl... so much so, that I was itching to find wiggy so that I could take him to task about his previous lionisation of his beloved Flavs...

Pettefer - 7.  Did lots to keep one of the better of The Gas's players, Williams, quiet.

Maher - 5.5.  Sat far too deep, and conceded buckets of space - especially at the start of the second half - which allowed a generally mediocre Gas side back into the game.

Gower - 6... even with that strike.  What an enigma.  As Ken Jarvis rightly pointed out to me at Reading services, Gower produces the magic that wins matches.  But he was crusing for a 3 or 4 until that moment, and Tilly wouldn't have been criticised for taking him off.

Bramble - 5, woefully off the pace.  Never really involved at all.

Dudfield - 8.5, and my MoM.  A goal, followed by a quiet first half; but a second half performance that was pure & utter quality.  So much harrassing, chasing, endeavour, won maybe 5 or 6 corners single-handedly.  Hugely impressive.

Let's not get carried away, folks.  The Gas were poor - very poor in the first ten minutes whilst playing 4-5-1 - and we ought to have put them to the sword.  We didn't, and they're still very much in this tie.  In addition, in Agogo they had one of the most dangerous-looking players on the pitch.

They are still in this tie - not least because (a) we need to play better; and (b) I can't imagine they'll play as badly in 2 weeks' time.

suspect.gif

Matt
I think you've already seen my report for the home page...

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 16 2005,11:44)]I think you've already seen my report for the home page...

glare.gif
Nope... but then we were standing within a few feet of each other on the terrace, hence why we got a similar view of the game...

wink.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 16 2005,11:39)]Maher - 5.5.  Sat far too deep, and conceded buckets of space - especially at the start of the second half - which allowed a generally mediocre Gas side back into the game.
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

If I'd have realised I would have offered you my glasses cleaner last night.  
laugh.gif

It was a pleasure to meet you at last but just because you stood behind Leeboy (making Naps very jealous
ghostface.gif
) you've allowed yourself to get sucked in.  

We also caught up with Seb Weety (who I met for the first time) and passed a very pleasurable couple of hours in a pub safely away from last nights pre-match fun and games.

I was talking to Bristol Rovers fan in a bar in Madrid whilst watching the 2002 world cup final. At the time Che had been linked with Blues (when newman was manager) and I mentioned this and he said at Rovers they were very surprised- and gutted- that 'Ernesto' had been released as he was at the time their best young player (and captain).   Che is under-rated by us (mainly because of Cardiff) but I'm pretty sure that Che's recent form will ensure that he is soon the topic of many other footballing conversations in Madrid.

Besides, Che is coolest name in world football and he plays for the Shrimpers.

I like this man
wink.gif

Che was only released cos he was a big earner at the time of the ITV Digital fiasco - they overspent and he paid the price ( along with others )

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Feb. 16 2005,12:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 16 2005,11:39)]Maher - 5.5.  Sat far too deep, and conceded buckets of space - especially at the start of the second half - which allowed a generally mediocre Gas side back into the game.
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

If I'd have realised I would have offered you my glasses cleaner last night.  
laugh.gif
Sorry, ORM. Great to meet you last night, though...

biggrin.gif

No ratings for the food? 9/10 for the Cornish Pasty I had last night, it were 'ansome!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
I thought Maher did an invaluable job protecting the back four - the only time Rovers looked dangerous from open play was on the odd occassion he went forward with Rovers then exploiting the resulting gap between our midfield and defence.  A definite 7 out of 10 for me.

FBM, are you sure Gower's goal took a deflection?  I was right behind it and have also seen it on Sky Sports News - seemed to go in as clean as a whistle. Also, I thought Rovers last minute effort hit the top netting and not the bar.

Overall, not a brilliant performance but still a well deserved win against poor opposition (and the ref - IMHO was never a penalty and neither was it a free kick leading up to their equaliser).

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Feb. 16 2005,13:06)]FBM, are you sure Gower's goal took a deflection?  I was right behind it and have also seen it on Sky Sports News - seemed to go in as clean as a whistle.
Watched it a few times now and yes, definitely went straight in. And what a beauty it was!

The BBC Bristol commentators were getting positively excited in their pants over Maher, they were saying what a great player he is, what vision he has, how good his set pieces were...

Im confused!.

rock.gif

Has anyone got a link for the Gower goal anywhere yet, I still havent had the pleasure of seeing it??...

rock.gif

To be fair to Gower most of our attacks went through the right-hand side, he wasn't given the ball that often particularly 1st half.

Back