• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The inevitable impact of Covid19

Rona virus impact poll

• Not had the Rona

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Had it and it was flu , more or less.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Had it, still not 100% or it took a lot out of me.

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
In China they have brought in new, stricter quarantine measures in Shanghai, I wonder, have they got a NEW and stronger strain of covid there?
There must be more to the story than the brief headlines as the rules are incredibly strict?

It's very hard to tell isn't it.... The UK have gone from strict Covid measures to nothing, and I mean nothing, no new accouncements of boosters eg, it seems to have gone away in the eyes of the Gov even though the infection rate is higher than it's ever been. It makes you wonder why we went through two years of hell.....

In China they have brought in new, stricter quarantine measures in Shanghai, I wonder, have they got a NEW and stronger strain of covid there?
There must be more to the story than the brief headlines as the rules are incredibly strict?

I thought I'd heard/read/whatever somewhere that their vaccine programme wasn't as cracked up to be as good as they thought - hence the population is now highly susceptible to (re-)infection.

Thought this was linked to their strange decision to still push for 'Zero Covid'

Any cases are leading to entire cities being locked in their houses, in this particular case around 25 million people! :Stunned:

It's very hard to tell isn't it.... The UK have gone from strict Covid measures to nothing, and I mean nothing, no new accouncements of boosters eg, it seems to have gone away in the eyes of the Gov even though the infection rate is higher than it's ever been. It makes you wonder why we went through two years of hell.....

COVID has been replaced by Ukraine as the 'current thing'. People are no longer being bombarded with constant scaremongering and daily stats about COVID, the media have something else to terrify them about 24/7. It shows how much the media influence what people think and care about. Plus the infection rate is largely irrelevant when 99% of cases are mild.

Indeed, why did we go through two years of hell...

COVID has been replaced by Ukraine as the 'current thing'. People are no longer being bombarded with constant scaremongering and daily stats about COVID, the media have something else to terrify them about 24/7. It shows how much the media influence what people think and care about. Plus the infection rate is largely irrelevant when 99% of cases are mild.

At this present time, it's hard to argue with what you've said.

Thought this was linked to their strange decision to still push for 'Zero Covid'

Any cases are leading to entire cities being locked in their houses, in this particular case around 25 million people! :Stunned:
It is and for the vast majority of us in HK we are hoping that Omicron signals the death knell for current policy. It has actually gone from zero Covid to dynamic zero which in reality means lockdown, test and isolate positives.

There’s two big differences between HK and China. China doesn’t count asymptomatic in their figures. HK doesn’t have the ability to perform a citywide lockdown. It could, in theory do it by district (borough).

There is a move in both places to allow those with mild symptoms to self quarantine but the overriding and official policy in HK is hospitalise, move asymptomatic to an unpleasant facility (used to be hospital but the last wave killed that idea), contact trace and lock up close contacts even if testing negative, compulsory PCR tests for entire estates.

The current wave has seen many more thousands of temporary facilities built. When the figures subside we will be back to full on imprisonment mode. Our beaches are closed, no dine in after 6pm, bars, churches, beauty parlours and more are closed. You have to wear a mask even if on top of a mountain (and they have fined people on mountain trails).

They’ve just put the fines up for non compliance to £2,500 for breach of quarantine order and £5,000 for non compliance elf a compulsory PCR. Social distancing fines of £500 to £1,000 are being handed out like confetti, usually to the people that can least afford them. Groups of two max, and the fines are usually handed out by authorities in groups of six or more.

Even with all of the above apart from bars my day to day life is not impacted. I’ve worked from home for two years. My office isn’t going to open until at least the summer but I’m likely to be able to WFH in perpetuity.

Probably because prior to the research and development of various vaccines, and for that matter, during the vaccinations campaign, people of all ages were dying from Covid at a rate that was horrific, decimating care homes and taking immunosuppressed people before their time.

They’ve just put the fines up for non compliance to £2,500 for breach of quarantine order and £5,000 for non compliance elf a compulsory PC
. Social distancing fines of £500 to £1,000 are being handed out like confetti, usually to the people that can least afford them.
Do you know what happens to those poor souls who can't afford to pay these fines?. Is a certain amount deducted from their wages weekly?.

Do you know what happens to those poor souls who can't afford to pay these fines?. Is a certain amount deducted from their wages weekly?.
For the first two there are prison sentences as well of up to six months, typically currently dished out as 2-4 weeks. For the latter I don’t know the answer except to say that the most vulnerable are the ones targeted and fined, typically domestic helpers who only earn a minimum £500 per month. They’re also fining smokers. Smoking is not illegal but you can only remove masks to eat or drink.

For the first two there are prison sentences as well of up to six months, typically currently dished out as 2-4 weeks. For the latter I don’t know the answer except to say that the most vulnerable are the ones targeted and fined, typically domestic helpers who only earn a minimum £500 per month. They’re also fining smokers. Smoking is not illegal but you can only remove masks to eat or drink.
Thanks for that interesting reply. Heaven help anyone who suffer with Hayfever!.

She has found away round that particular problem..

2pXxRJ.gif

I'm day 7 after testing positive. Feeling much better the last day or 2. But i still tested positive this morning. NHS app says I should no longer isolate, but I'll stay at confined to bedroom suite as still testing positive.

The wife has gone steadily down Hill the last few days and has joined the positive club today. She's been symptomatic for about 5 or 6 days now.

And my mum tested positive yesterday - should be unrelated to us as we haven't been in contact for 2 weeks since my son tested positive.

I'm day 7 after testing positive. Feeling much better the last day or 2. But i still tested positive this morning. NHS app says I should no longer isolate, but I'll stay at confined to bedroom suite as still testing positive.

The wife has gone steadily down Hill the last few days and has joined the positive club today. She's been symptomatic for about 5 or 6 days now.

Are people still required to isolate by law, or is it now down to the individual to be responsible? I haven't heard anything since all restrictions were removed.

Back