• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The inevitable impact of Covid19

Rona virus impact poll

• Not had the Rona

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Had it and it was flu , more or less.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Had it, still not 100% or it took a lot out of me.

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
Are people still required to isolate by law, or is it now down to the individual to be responsible? I haven't heard anything since all restrictions were removed.

There is no legal requirement. It is guidance.

Does anyone know where we can get tests from? I'm due back at work monday but will need to test.

Does anyone know where we can get tests from? I'm due back at work monday but will need to test.
Unless you work in a certain area, think it might be NHS and care homes, you have to buy them. Think tescos, boots etc do them

My mate is late 40s, fit, non smoker, self employed gardener. Anyway, his daughter came home from Uni, she tested +, then last Wednesday my mate felt poorly after a full day mowing and hedging etc, so after night of coughing he tests + on Thursday. On Saturday he could barely move, so much so that paramedic thought he had had a stoke, Admitted to hospital, mri etc, no stroke but severe, rare reaction to covid. he is still in a no visit ward and v worried as no work means no money etc; and he still feels crap but cough has gone. His daughter is now clear and no issues.

My mate is late 40s, fit, non smoker, self employed gardener. Anyway, his daughter came home from Uni, she tested +, then last Wednesday my mate felt poorly after a full day mowing and hedging etc, so after night of coughing he tests + on Thursday. On Saturday he could barely move, so much so that paramedic thought he had had a stoke, Admitted to hospital, mri etc, no stroke but severe, rare reaction to covid. he is still in a no visit ward and v worried as no work means no money etc; and he still feels crap but cough has gone. His daughter is now clear and no issues.
Oh blimey poor soul.
Hopefully, will pick up soon and I suspect they will be giving him the recent COVID medication just licensed.
Fingers crossed he doesn’t get long COVID

At Rayleigh Sainsbury today there were very few mask wearers, I am continuing to wear in such a none social environment, and fewer looked to use sanitise station.
Also, did my blood donation bit at Saxon Hall in the afternoon, all staff masked and 90% of doners, they were working to full capacity. The wiping down and exaggerated spacing of last year has gone.

The Covid pandemic has caused the deaths of nearly 15 million people around the world, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates.
That is 13% more deaths than normally expected over two years.
The WHO believes many countries undercounted the numbers who died from Covid - only 5.4 million were reported.
In India, there were 4.7 million Covid deaths, it says - 10 times the official figures - and almost a third of Covid deaths globally.

Not a surprise with those figures @RHB, I know that in Italy many doctors refused to put covid as cause of death when other, likely terminal, but hastened, illnesses existed.
The African figures are going to similarly compiled and under estimates too. And in Middle East the non indigenous workers are "non" people for just about everything.

Not a surprise with those figures @RHB, I know that in Italy many doctors refused to put covid as cause of death when other, likely terminal, but hastened, illnesses existed.
The African figures are going to similarly compiled and under estimates too. And in Middle East the non indigenous workers are "non" people for just about everything.
So it wasn't really a lot of fuss over nothing then as some would have you believe, was it/is it?

So it wasn't really a lot of fuss over nothing then as some would have you believe, was it/is it?
It certainly wasn’t. But the WHO’s figures have shown that Sweden’s light touch and refusal to lock down has led to one of the lowest excess deaths figures, because they just kept everything going as normally as possible including treating cancer patients within the normal time frame.

By comparison our excess deaths per 100,000 of population is nearly double Sweden’s. And 1000’s more will continue to die because of the backlog that has built up for urgent NHS treatment.

Last edited:
It certainly wasn’t. But the WHO’s figures have shown that Sweden’s light touch and refusal to lock down has led to one of the lowest excess deaths figures, because they just kept everything going as normally as possible including treating cancer patients within the normal time frame.

By comparison our excess deaths per 100,000 of population is nearly double Sweden’s. And 1000’s more will continue to die because of the backlog that has built up for urgent NHS treatment.

There's so many variables at play, that I suspect it's highly simplistic, and playing to the articles intended audience, to suggest no lockdown was the sole reason that Sweden outperformed the UK.

Looking at the stats Sweden was the worst performing Scandinavian country - that might suggest no lockdown was a poor strategy.

Why does Ireland only have third of the excess deaths as the UK (and less than Sweden?)

Did the UK policy to release the hospitalised elderly into care homes increase the UK's excess deaths?

I think it's also simplistic to say Sweden had no lockdowns - they took plenty of precautions, both Government mandated and 'voluntarily'.

That's a debatable claim to say the least.Sweden has only 3 major centres of population,Stockiholm ,Gothenburg and Malmo.Compare that to the UK's and many other EU countries much higher density of population figures..

There's so many variables at play, that I suspect it's highly simplistic, and playing to the articles intended audience, to suggest no lockdown was the sole reason that Sweden outperformed the UK.

Looking at the stats Sweden was the worst performing Scandinavian country - that might suggest no lockdown was a poor strategy.

Why does Ireland only have third of the excess deaths as the UK (and less than Sweden?)

Did the UK policy to release the hospitalised elderly into care homes increase the UK's excess deaths?

I think it's also simplistic to say Sweden had no lockdowns - they took plenty of precautions, both Government mandated and 'voluntarily'.

Agreed.

Back