• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
STOP PRESS

Steve Tilson, fresh from signing Terry Alderton after seeing him play in "The Match" last Sunday, has revealed that he was so impressed with the performances of some of the celebrities that he is considering adding more to the Shrimpers payroll.

"I was really impressed with Ralf Little at full back, and I think he could be excellent cover for Juppy. Plus he's got better dress sense" Tilson told new SUFC fanzine "You've gotta laugh". He added, "People must be aware of the positive effect on the players of having two comedians in the dressing room. It'll be a gag a minute. Laughter is the best medicine so I'll be sending them to the treatment room as often as possible to help the rehabilitation process of Bart Griemink, Lawrie Dudfield and Jay Smith".

Tilson also revealed that another outlet he was looking at appears to have been closed. "I spoke to Paul Brush about a relative of his who is a comedian - Basil - as I'd heard he was a bit of a "fox in the box". However, Paul told me that he is in fact a puppet animal and is therefore a fox KEPT in a box which is not quite what I'm looking for."

With league leaders Swansea visiting Roots Hall on Saturday, it would appear that the Blues are pinning their hopes on Messrs. Trundle and Co being so incapacitated through laughing that they cannot run properly, hence paving the way for an easy Southend win.

wink.gif

It would have been funnier if Ralf little hadn't had a trial only 6 months ago to become a pro footballer !

Now if you'd done the one from steps !

Anyone else other then me , not realised this is just 1) A stunt for more money and a thank you for Terry for all the free publicity he gives us.(Im sure theres also been more from Sky , and maybe a bit of money ??)

2) His going to be in the bench while the real replacement comes in ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyone else other then me , not realised this is just 1) A stunt for more money and a thank you for Terry for all the free publicity he gives us.(Im sure theres also been more from Sky , and maybe a bit of money ??)

If it's a publicity stunt then why don't the club say so?

I'd rather not have a keeper on the bench than Terry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 13 2004,10:04)]If it's a publicity stunt then why don't the club say so?
Because that would lessen the publicity. If the media actually think there's a chance of him playing they will report it a lot more than if it's been admitted it's just for publicity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Oct. 13 2004,11:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 13 2004,10:04)]If it's a publicity stunt then why don't the club say so?
Because that would lessen the publicity. If the media actually think there's a chance of him playing they will report it a lot more than if it's been admitted it's just for publicity.
Ok.

Fingers crossed then.

Is Emberson available? Or Capleton? Prudhoe? Anyone...

Didn't Tilly used to go in goal if needed during the match, and if he is still registered couldn't he be sub keeper/outfield player for the match and have Morgan start the game.

I definately think we have signed Alderton as a 'thank you'. I was only thinking the other day (before Sunday) that the club should do something with Terry as he always goes out of his way to mention us - which can only be good for the club.

I dont mind him being on the bench - even if he is needed. At least he proved Sunday that he can do a job in goal, even if he was at fault for Pallisters goal - he has probably never faced a shot like that - it did move alot and come through a packed area.

His other saves were decent and proved he has at least got some skill in goal... Bramble showed up well Friday, but I dont think he would like to do that consistantly and he probably exceeded expectations due to adrenalin etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 13 2004,11:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyone else other then me , not realised this is just 1) A stunt for more money and a thank you for Terry for all the free publicity he gives us.(Im sure theres also been more from Sky , and maybe a bit of money ??)

I'd rather not have a keeper on the bench than Terry.
a) when have you ever heard anyone announce to the gathered, hushed media "Hi - thanks for coming, this is a stunt aimed at making us a few bob so don't take it too seriously...."

b) Why? He's probably as good as most of our outfield players at being goalkeeper so what's the harm in him being on the bench for one match? I dont see him starting - I'm sure another keeper will come in to do that (as Terry hinted in his interview with the official site)... so I dont see that there's any harm done in making his day by getting him on the bench - he does more to publicise the club than the club do themselves, let alone anyone else, so he deserves it in my opinion.

SkySports website...

Shrimper's Sign Comedy Keeper

How can signing Terry possibly be a bad thing for the club? I'll be willing to bet that half the country will be looking out for our result at 17:00 on Saturday and I can quite imagine us making the back page of the nationals if Terry plays [even for the last 5 minutes] and perhaps keeps a clean sheet!

I can't wait!  
tounge.gif

cool.gif

ADDED I am sure Jeff Stelling will help out in raising our profile further, by including Terry's signing as a feature on Saturday afternoon's programme.

I imagine after his brief appearance on Soccer AM last week in his home shirt, in which Helen Chamberlain said how rubbish he is in goal that even she scored past him, that we'll get a big mention on there as well. Hopefully they'll get him on the phone or something.

As long as someone signs and Terry isn't needed, this could work out quite well. It could be an anxious end to the week if we still haven't got someone in by Friday though! I don't know about everyone else, but the 2nd half on Friday was the longest 45 minutes of my life! I'm not sure we could stand a whole 90 minutes of it!

One quote from that article really jumped out at me:

"Playing in 'The Match' last week will be nothing compared to being at Roots Hall."

Even though he knows that he won't play, he is still excited about the prospect of being on the club, and personally I'm happy about the whole situation, because I think in the end everything will work out positively for both Terry Alderton and the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (fbm @ Oct. 13 2004,10:04)

The why dont the club say *this is not a publicity stunt* in such a way that it becomes sarcasm
rock.gif

blues.gif
wow.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Oct. 13 2004,12:47)]I don't know about everyone else, but the 2nd half on Friday was the longest 45 minutes of my life! I'm not sure we could stand a whole 90 minutes of it!
90 minutes?

I'll be sh*tting myself as soon as the 5pm deadline on Friday passes if we haven't signed anyone else!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Oct. 13 2004,16:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Oct. 13 2004,12:47)]I don't know about everyone else, but the 2nd half on Friday was the longest 45 minutes of my life! I'm not sure we could stand a whole 90 minutes of it!
90 minutes?

I'll be sh*tting myself as soon as the 5pm deadline on Friday passes if we haven't signed anyone else!
The trouble is, is that the Shrimpers Club and surrounding pubs will be selling shedloads of beers - just so we can all get through the game ! !

Or is this a marketing ploy by Brian Dear???

Back