• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was told the news at half time last night and was shocked to the core, its almost typical of bloody Southend United to produce the kind of display that would've (almost) silenced the everloud Mr J in the aftermath of his untimely passing

RIP Big Man

Sleep well x

R.I.P

Didn't know him, but he was a Southend fan and we're all together.

RIP saw him around home and away never really spoke, at times like this it makes you grateful for what you have.

Sleep well.

I knew Graham very well. We travelled to games together & the two of us could often be found propping up the bar in the RNA before the other Saga Louts arrived prior to home games. He was a very good friend & I just can't believe I won't be seeing him again. It has all been so sudden.

RIP mate. The Saga Louts, the RNA & SUFC games won't be the same without you.

Andy I saw some of the texts and e-mails he sent Ron Martin --- most were very pertinent and cutting. Not frightened to speak out, as anyone in the South Upper would verify listening to him at matches questioning the referee's parentage, and advising the opposition goalkeeper and their fans where to go.

I sat in the seat in front of his empty one last night and felt numb all game. This is too close to home.

Ken I feel for you pal, I couldn't even imagine how it would feel to lose one of my good mates.

Only just starting to sink in really what his wife and his son Rob must be going through!

Gotta love jolly though he was a total plank sometimes in a loveable way! Having breakfast at the cafe with ken cricko and big Chris with jolly sitting there with the shakes and then choking and getting some food caught in his throat for most of the day!
He recently had some Paul Holland polos mate I think it would be fitting if we had some done in his memory too.

What a true shocker. Wondered where he was last night. My memories of him since sitting in the South Stand are of a succinct and direct response to away fans after the rendition of "Southend's a x%&@ hole, we want to go home". In the loudest voice possible he always replied "well, @&*& off home then". A real tragedy and big loss. UTB

Didn't speak to Graham much other than the occassional hello, though he accosted me in the toilet before one game last season to show me his latest text chain with Ron Martin!

RIP

RIP Graham, always enjoyed reading his posts and I'm pretty sure I have met him before. A sad loss and my thoughts go out to his family.

Nice gesture by the SZ owners renaming the pub. Well done guys.

OK, just sat reading through 7 pages of this thread with tears welling up. Woke up to this news yesterday morning (my time) and to be honest spent yesterday in a bit of a numb state. Shocked and saddened doesn't really come close to explaining it as I'm sure plenty of others who knew him will agree.

Graham really was one of the true characters, love Hooly's telling of the 'A1 Cabs' phonecall - I remember that so well and the laughs and ribbing he copped for that were typical of what he endured most games for something stupid he said. But it was all done with great affection, as others have said he genuinely would do anything for you.

RIP Graham mate

RIP Homer

RIP Homer (Graham), will drink a pint in the Spread to you next game.

A life long eternal Shrimper.

only met him once when I picked up my Southend saga lout t shirt from the Royal Navy club
seemed like a really nice guy

R I P Homer you will be sadly missed by all

I knew Graham very well. We travelled to games together & the two of us could often be found propping up the bar in the RNA before the other Saga Louts arrived prior to home games. He was a very good friend & I just can't believe I won't be seeing him again. It has all been so sudden.

RIP mate. The Saga Louts, the RNA & SUFC games won't be the same without you.

I cant claim to know Graham that well, only from the Saga Louts and RNA, but we exchanged texts regularly, the last on Thursday night, where he told me about his rant about the lack of food in the club messing up his pre-match plans! Got to the club late on Friday expecting (and looking forward to) some abuse from the big guy because I hadnt had time to change into my saga lout top having come straight from work.... except, he wasnt there.

Shocked and upset is an understatement - Graham had a heart of gold, he'd go out of his way to help anyone, he was much loved by everyone and he was a prize clown - in the best possible way! There are times when things make no sense, and this is one of them.

The big man upstairs called time far too early, and I have no doubt that Graham is up there giving what for as we speak for mucking up his day and making him miss the game!

What this thread has shown is that, in spite of the loss in person, Homer is definitely still with us.

He always will be for those concerned and will live on through everyone's happy memories of him.

Raise a pint, a glass, a smile and a cab for Homer.

For those of you who perhaps cannot put a face to his name.

34ql27r.jpg

R.I.P

So sad. I didn't know Homer personally, but I had the great pleasure of sitting behind him at the back of the South Upper. As others have said, he would stand up and come out with some real classics to the Ref, the opposition players, opposition fans, the stewards and sometimes even our own fans. He was highly entertaining. He seemed a generous guy as well as I've seen him come back from the food stall and throw pies or mars bars to his mates. My mate wanted me to sit next to him in the East stand, I said ''No thanks.'' ''I have the great view and the great entertainment in the South Upper.'' mainly Mr Graham Jolley. It just won't be the same.

As Biffa says, first met him when i was about 10 (okay looked 10, was 16!) in the Spread and the likes of Ken, Mike and Graham really made me feel welcome and always a good laugh. Most recently remember getting to a pub in Romford before going to the Daggers league game and we got there about 11, only to see Graham + posse already there and drinking away already! Very sad and all happened way too suddenly. We held a minutes' silence in memory of him today before our game as the likes of Tim & Graham Hines (to mention just 2 people) knew him better than i did and most of the lads had all met him before.

RIP.

Kev

Back