• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Afraid not ESB. A group of us saturday was just talking about the zone and certain people got mentioned in terms of always shooting people down and not listening to others views.
Am not going anywhere with this at all about te 4 named
My whole point to this thread was the club is XXXXXX under Martin and that I am fed up with hearing how we should be supporting the club.
I support the club but not Ron and what he has done to the club and also the divide he is puuting between the supporters.
Trust me next home game as i cant get to bury due to work I will be demostrating on my own if i have to.
Enough is enough

Afraid not ESB. A group of us saturday was just talking about the zone and certain people got mentioned in terms of always shooting people down and not listening to others views.Am not going anywhere with this at all about te 4 named
My whole point to this thread was the club is XXXXXX under Martin and that I am fed up with hearing how we should be supporting the club.
I support the club but not Ron and what he has done to the club and also the divide he is puuting between the supporters.
Trust me next home game as i cant get to bury due to work I will be demostrating on my own if i have to.
Enough is enough

So if someone has an opinion that you should be supporting the club, you would listen? Of course you wouldn't, you'd shoot that persons view down, because you are only interested in your opinion, the one you think is correct.

I generaly find across the internet that it's true that those who are quickest to complain about people getting shot down are actually those with the least respect for other opinions.

As I am apparently one of Badger's perceived gang of four let me go some way to make my position clear.

First and foremost I want what is best for the club that I have supported and loved for nigh on 50 years, and come what may I will carry on supporting the club whoever owns it.

For the record I have never advocated for Ron Martin, my first thoughts were that he was an asset stripper, my second thoughts were that he did have the interests of the club at heart, and thirdly he has got us closer to a new stadium than any other chairman, unfortunately events in the financial world have subsequently conspired against him. What he has done over the past 18 months or so has destroyed the trust between the Chairman and the supporters, and his constant reneging on the clubs financial responsibilities has been reprehensible, and partly through his actions has virtually destroyed the club. However we are still here albeit with the help of Sainsbury's, and we can only pray that the club have a future. Those that feel Martin should sell particularly to the consortium will not IMO get their wish. Why sell to another set of property developers? Other than the fact they may or may not be Blues supporters. It won't happen, and sadly the club may go to the wall as a consequence.

On another tack apparently I am in the habit of shooting people down, well if that's the case I apologise unreservedly, but the last time I looked and this remained a messageboard about Southend United FC, and if people post stuff which IMO is gibberish and nonsense then I reserve my right to post an opposite view, it's a funny thing called democracy and free speech, we're all allowed to do it. Likewise I don't expect anyone or everyone to agree with my views, the board would be a very sterile place if this were the case. SZ is a broad church (as MtS is fond of saying) and we have a membership with strong views, and long may that continue.

Finally to deal with the point about not listening to views, as a moderator of the site it is part of the job to read posts and try and understand a posters views and where they are coming from. It's a fine line a mod has to tread, and IMO I've always tried to deal with individuals in a fair and even handed manner, if I haven't then again I apologise.

Finally and to reiterate I want what is best for this club, I want it to prosper and I want it to be around in a few years time not least to welcome another generation of Welham twins to our club. And I won't apologise for that.

Harry

I think he's skint.

It's a mixture of the two, for me. There's no way Adam Barrett should be paid circa £3.5kp/w at this level, and the same goes for Macca, Clarke et al who raked in big money while they were here. That said, it wouldn't have been a problem, as it isn't currently at Colchester, if RM were to have a bottomless pit to subsidise those wages.

IMO, with Martin in charge, we've got more chance of going to the wall than moving forward.

True, but this is nothing new and pre-dates Martin's involvement with the club.

I can see only 2 ways out

1. Someone with more money than sense willing to throw away millions of pounds for no (financial) return to put us on an even footing.
2. A new stadium as part of a highly profitable new development, which ends up funding itself.

I think scenario 2 is the more likely scenario, but I still think this is a longshot.

The key point is that our problems are deeper than Ron Martin. Getting rid of him doesn't resolve the basic problem that come the mid-90s the club owed c£4m with no real prospect of ever being sufficiently profitable to generate enough profit money to pay this off. All we've done since is shuffle that debt around and we've still to resolve that initial problem.

I've been saying all along that this team is the standard of a mid table League Two team. Anyone who thinks this current team will make play offs is seriously deluded.

Mid-table really isn't that far from 7th.

As I am apparently one of Badger's perceived gang of four let me go some way to make my position clear.

First and foremost I want what is best for the club that I have supported and loved for nigh on 50 years, and come what may I will carry on supporting the club whoever owns it.

For the record I have never advocated for Ron Martin, my first thoughts were that he was an asset stripper, my second thoughts were that he did have the interests of the club at heart, and thirdly he has got us closer to a new stadium than any other chairman, unfortunately events in the financial world have subsequently conspired against him. What he has done over the past 18 months or so has destroyed the trust between the Chairman and the supporters, and his constant reneging on the clubs financial responsibilities has been reprehensible, and partly through his actions has virtually destroyed the club. However we are still here albeit with the help of Sainsbury's, and we can only pray that the club have a future. Those that feel Martin should sell particularly to the consortium will not IMO get their wish. Why sell to another set of property developers? Other than the fact they may or may not be Blues supporters. It won't happen, and sadly the club may go to the wall as a consequence.

On another tack apparently I am in the habit of shooting people down, well if that's the case I apologise unreservedly, but the last time I looked and this remained a messageboard about Southend United FC, and if people post stuff which IMO is gibberish and nonsense then I reserve my right to post an opposite view, it's a funny thing called democracy and free speech, we're all allowed to do it. Likewise I don't expect anyone or everyone to agree with my views, the board would be a very sterile place if this were the case. SZ is a broad church (as MtS is fond of saying) and we have a membership with strong views, and long may that continue.

Finally to deal with the point about not listening to views, as a moderator of the site it is part of the job to read posts and try and understand a posters views and where they are coming from. It's a fine line a mod has to tread, and IMO I've always tried to deal with individuals in a fair and even handed manner, if I haven't then again I apologise.

Finally and to reiterate I want what is best for this club, I want it to prosper and I want it to be around in a few years time not least to welcome another generation of Welham twins to our club. And I won't apologise for that.

Harry

Let me put one thing straight.
You are not 1 of 4 that xxxx me off, there are many, as i am sure I xxxx off many zoners as well.
You was 1 of 4 from a group of zoners that said that certain user on the zone only listen to what they want to read and always support the same peoples views etc.
I want the same for the club as you and that it is still here when am well dead and buried!!!
Look back over the last 3 years and you will see I have never trusted Ron martin and at last the fans are now seeing this and its now time to really abuse the man

You are not 1 of 4 that xxxx me off, there are many, as i am sure I xxxx off many zoners as well.
You was 1 of 4 from a group of zoners that said that certain user on the zone only listen to what they want to read and always support the same peoples views etc.
I want the same for the club as you and that it is still here when am well dead and buried!!!
Look back over the last 3 years and you will see I have never trusted Ron martin and at last the fans are now seeing this and its now time to really abuse the man

Now that is some feat. Are you saying 4 zoners have ears where their eyes are?

Should be easy to spot them...

Why was the consortium a bad idea again? combined value of £100M, planned to see the stadium through.....Did I miss something?

Having a wealthy owner seems to have stabilized our neighbours Colchester and their crowds are a joke in comparison to ours a division below.

The Consortium were never an option. To borrow a poker expression, Ron Martin is pot-committed. If Fossetts Farm doesn't come off then he's finished. He's had most of the Roots Hall money already so even that won't bail him out. That's why any offer for the Club would have to be a significant enough amount of money to get his head above water again and why he won't be moved on by the fans no matter what they say about him or to him.

The Consortium were never an option. To borrow a poker expression, Ron Martin is pot-committed. If Fossetts Farm doesn't come off then he's finished. He's had most of the Roots Hall money already so even that won't bail him out. That's why any offer for the Club would have to be a significant enough amount of money to get his head above water again and why he won't be moved on by the fans no matter what they say about him or to him.

Correct..and he is still trying to borrow from the banker.

Muppet!!!!
This is what we was talking about

I'm making the point that you would very quickly shoot me down in flames because I have an opinion that you don't agree with, which makes you as bad as you are alledgedly accusing me of being. Less of the abuse please as well.

Where will abuse get you? You thinking like that just shows what you are really like.

Why was the consortium a bad idea again? combined value of £100M, planned to see the stadium through.....Did I miss something?

Having a wealthy owner seems to have stabilized our neighbours Colchester and their crowds are a joke in comparison to ours a division below.

I think the phrase coined was a combined worth of over £100m, which does nothing to convey a strong sense of liquidity, particularly when you take into account that the apparent "money men" behind the consortium are property developers, very much like the current incumbent. As Beefy says, the consortium aren't a viable option as long as RM maintains his shares.

Also, Colchester aren't as much stabilised by Cowling as much as they are subsidised. Their losses, as directed by the last filed accounts, were three times ours on a significantly higher wage bill with fewer crowds. The fact of the matter is that Cowling is considerably richer than RM, wasn't as affected by the recession as RM and, as such, is in a better position to subsidise the losses made by the football club.

If Cowling was to grow bored of football, take a financial hit or simply sell the club to a less wealthy owner, they'd either have to cut their cloth massively or prepare for a season much like the one we suffered last time out.

Back