• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here goes, it will be based purely on emotion and how I feel right now - I often try and wait '24 hours' for the dust to settle and allow myself to calm down but tonight I am ashamed to see me team conceed 5 goals at home to Dagenham and Redbridge who effectively are a non league club.

We were actually the better side for large periods of the match but we lack character when we go behind (in the main), defend set pieces like schoolboys the buck has to stop somewhere.

I am one of the Southend fans who has stuck up for Phil Brown last season, all pre season and up till tonight. I have given him a chance, I have looked at the cirucmstances, his contacts, his experience, his idea's and his professionalism but tonight was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Sometimes I feel for the gaffer and the embargo's, lack of funds and support from higher up but he does himself no favours.

Yes we have a team of average league two players who give 100% effort which I admire, we even try and play some nice football in the right way but what on earth is going on with some of Brown's decisions.

Set Pieces - now is it me or are we attempting to play Zonal marking. I may be wrong (which I actually hope I am) but what on earth is that all about, if we are then drop the idea now because it has cost us too many points already. All pre season we were weak at set pieces which cost us time and time again, earlier in the season it cost us but now it's the middle of October and nothing has been done about this. If were not zonal marking then Brown's management of his players is awful, why are they not picking up and man marking and putting everything on the line to defend!?!?!?

4-5-1 at home to mid table Dagenham and Redbridge...we were not playing Brazil. And the one poor sod upfront was an untried and unfit Read who is lacking match fitness (not his fault). How do you expect Read to perform alone up top, at times our midfield quintet were fully thirty yards away from the lone forward. So sticking to this 4-5-1 formation (lets not kid ourselves by calling it 4-3-3) and at 5-2 down with half an hour to go, Brown waits until the 88th minute to introduce another forward!!! WTF

Straker - what on earth is this player all about. He gives us nothing (pace aside) and is a liability yet Brown continues to pick him at every possible opportunity. Brown likened him to Gareth Bale after pre season displays agianst the likes of Wakering, Bishop Stortford and the mighty Braintree. Straker is dross and gives the team problems not options.

Leaders on the field - now don't get me wrong, I rate John White as a player and am pleased with him as a signing but he is not a skipper and not captain material for me. To give someone the club captaincy becuase "he was my first signing" is an egotistic catastrophe, Brown even admitted there was 4/5 other possibilities but wanted his captain to be a "Brown player".

Ego is losing respect - Brown has ruined our players in the local and national press, does he not realise that these are young and average lower league footballers giving their all, I can't see how this is doing the changing room any favours. His ego and fame hungry personality is wearing thin with me now. A work colleague (Fan of other team) was talking to a couple of Blues players at the weekend (3am Subway chat) and both Blues players (first team regulars) even said what a "C##t" the manager is". Respect is going for the gaffer and I don't blame the players if it does.

Red rep me, Green rep me - I just had to get this off my chest. I have backed the manager as much as I could but tonight, I have turned from team Brown to Brown the clown :'(

I think this was based on pure emotion. “finally given up” suggests you have given Brown time, IMO you haven’t. His games last season can only really be seen as an opportunity to assess the squad and prepare for this season and this season we are 10 games into the league and just 3 points off the play offs, hardly a crisis. Brown rested players and tried something different in a game that wasn’t that important to many fans, most on here see the JPT as unwelcome extra games with our threadbare squad. Dagenham aren’t a bad side, the league reflects that. I wasn’t at the game but it sounds like Smith had a nightmare and we all know Smith is not Brown’s 1[SUP]st[/SUP] choice keeper.

I think the Straker criticism is a bit harsh, he has had his bad games but he has also had a couple of very good games for us in the league this season, still feel he has something to offer this team despite his dip in form.

I kind of agree on the captaincy, sometimes the lead by example type captain who isn’t vocal works but feel with this team we could do with a vocal leader. I’m hard pushed to find anyone in the team I’d appoint though. I think maybe Laird could do the job but that’s not going to help us at the moment anyway.

As for the hearsay about the players not respecting Brown, I don’t buy into that kind of unsubstantiated gossip.

Knee jerk post hilarity. ........5 unbeaten three wins on the spin.....brown out lol. Plenty of heart and soul in this team if not barnstorming footy skills.
Another quiet few days on the zone coming up. Come on southend supporters lets just back the boys ( no giving up)

Knee jerk post hilarity. ........5 unbeaten three wins on the spin.....brown out lol. Plenty of heart and soul in this team if not barnstorming footy skills.
Another quiet few days on the zone coming up. Come on southend supporters lets just back the boys ( no giving up)

The tumbleweed is blowing past this post

Would rather pay good money to watch a Phil Brown team than that ***** dished up by Sturrock anyday, people like him and Straker can never win with most blinkered idiots on here!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with most of what has been said on this. For me, it's simple. We are out of two competitions - almost three - that cost us a spot in the play off last year. We need to get out of this league, that is the objective and the goal.

I agree with most of what has been said on this. For me, it's simple. We are out of two competitions - almost three - that cost us a spot in the play off last year. We need to get out of this league, that is the objective and the goal.

Exactly, the money brought by promotion and staying in league one surely out ways a couple of cup runs and rotting in league two for another season.

I really like Brown, as I did Sturrock.
Both managed to build to very competitive teams under very difficult circumstances.
I feel we have been quite spoilt in recent years with the managers we have had.
I fully expect us to be in promotion contention at the years end.
UTB's:loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter:

I was called a village idiot by Wiggy once, took it as a compliment, though don't think Hawkwell is a village.

Nice attempt at a dig, but if you actually read my post I never once questioned the staff of players commitment, efforts nor the fact that they actually attempt to play football the right way.

My main gripe was the fact that we have conceeded far t0o many goals at set pieces which is still a worry - we gave Burton and Oxford free headers at crucial times which were luckily squandered by the attacking players!! :facepalm: I still feel that we are vunerable but clean sheets may prove otherwise.

Another point that I made was Anthony Straker, I think he showed in ten minutes last night that he isn't great (putting it nicely). If you look at the slections since my post, then a certain Anthony Straker has been on the bench and played ten minutes in the two games :winking:

I am chuffed to bits and last night was a fun evening, great seeing the whole stadium rocking for the last ten minutes. I still worry a little that we did sit back at times in our defensive minded 4-5-1 formation, personally I don't like setting up at home a s a counter attacking side but if we win and play football with the efforts that we have shown ALL season then I guess I can swallow it.

Up the Blues, revenge Tuesday :thumbsup:

Nice attempt at a dig, but if you actually read my post I never once questioned the staff of players commitment, efforts nor the fact that they actually attempt to play football the right way.

My main gripe was the fact that we have conceeded far t0o many goals at set pieces which is still a worry - we gave Burton and Oxford free headers at crucial times which were luckily squandered by the attacking players!! :facepalm: I still feel that we are vunerable but clean sheets may prove otherwise.

Another point that I made was Anthony Straker, I think he showed in ten minutes last night that he isn't great (putting it nicely). If you look at the slections since my post, then a certain Anthony Straker has been on the bench and played ten minutes in the two games :winking:

I am chuffed to bits and last night was a fun evening, great seeing the whole stadium rocking for the last ten minutes. I still worry a little that we did sit back at times in our defensive minded 4-5-1 formation, personally I don't like setting up at home a s a counter attacking side but if we win and play football with the efforts that we have shown ALL season then I guess I can swallow it.

Up the Blues, revenge Tuesday :thumbsup:

No dig intended more a rally to not give up on the gaffer....I dont do subtle snidey digs id just slate you up front.....cant wait fot tuesday although this is sufc and the roller coaster goes up and down........buckle up

To 'Silencer' and all you other constant doubters

I very rarely post on SZ but some of you people make my blood boil. I'm referring to a specific post ''Tonight, I have finally given up on the gaffer'' on 8th October made by Silencer and the subsequent negative responses by others. The gist was Brown had lost the plot following what was a bad defeat to Dagenham in the JPT. Well, what do you all think now?
The way people react from game to game is simply over dramatic. If we lose it's all doom and gloom, win and we are going to storm promotion. A true assessment I believe, over the period is that he has done a better job than most expected. He has brought in some good permanent / loanees, encouraged and blooded some good developing youth players and used well the existing squad. I understand he has changed things internally at Boots and Laces, certainly got the players fitter and introduced a better style of play. Yes, things aren't perfect, there are players that maybe at times have looked less than good, goal scoring has been a problem and some silly mistakes have cost us points. However, with an exceptionally difficult backdrop at the club, i.e., the embargo, lack of money, Ron Martin etc. I think overall he is doing a pretty good job.
I will continue to support him and the team, reserving a true judgement at the end of the season. I think if a play off place isn't achieved at the end of the season, I would concede he has not done what was asked of him when brought to the club. Then and only then may such threads be valid!
Up the Blues.

I very rarely post on SZ but some of you people make my blood boil. I'm referring to a specific post ''Tonight, I have finally given up on the gaffer'' on 8th October made by Silencer and the subsequent negative responses by others. The gist was Brown had lost the plot following what was a bad defeat to Dagenham in the JPT. Well, what do you all think now?
The way people react from game to game is simply over dramatic. If we lose it's all doom and gloom, win and we are going to storm promotion. A true assessment I believe, over the period is that he has done a better job than most expected. He has brought in some good permanent / loanees, encouraged and blooded some good developing youth players and used well the existing squad. I understand he has changed things internally at Boots and Laces, certainly got the players fitter and introduced a better style of play. Yes, things aren't perfect, there are players that maybe at times have looked less than good, goal scoring has been a problem and some silly mistakes have cost us points. However, with an exceptionally difficult backdrop at the club, i.e., the embargo, lack of money, Ron Martin etc. I think overall he is doing a pretty good job.
I will continue to support him and the team, reserving a true judgement at the end of the season. I think if a play off place isn't achieved at the end of the season, I would concede he has not done what was asked of him when brought to the club. Then and only then may such threads be valid!
Up the Blues.

As Voltaire said........"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That is the beauty of SZ

Would rather pay good money to watch a Phil Brown team than that ***** dished up by Sturrock anyday, people like him and Straker can never win with most blinkered idiots on here!

I agree with this, last night was more enjoyable than any Sturrock game I watched. I also think Straker has something to offer this team, 10 minutes is not enough time to get into the game and he remains the only real pace we have in the squad.

I agree with this, last night was more enjoyable than any Sturrock game I watched. I also think Straker has something to offer this team, 10 minutes is not enough time to get into the game and he remains the only real pace we have in the squad.

I agree -

I'm not saying Straker is the real deal but he has got the best feet at the club touch and vision wise and will create us goals. Other times his passing is dreadful but he's got far more to offer than you lot make out, bit like the two ***** in the blacks that couldn't wait to jeer him as soon as he got the ball....must have been Shrimperzone bores!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back