• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
I would first like to say that in no way am i criticising the Blue Voice, i would like to make a few points and ask a few questions.

My reasoning behind this thread has come about from watching last nights Palace v Cardiff game and the atmosphere created initially by the Cardiff fans but more importantly by the Palace fans and in particular the group behind the goal called the 'fanatics'. They were absolutely brilliant and didnt stop singing and chanting all game and not only did it sound great on tv but you got a sense that it gave the whole ground a lift and a buzz and at times the whole stand behind the goal was up on their feet as one. A friend who goes to Palace says that they are like that every game.

So it got me thinking about our own fanatics, the Blue Voice. I have read many comments on here particularly this season about the atmosphere in the ground the lack of noise and singing and then i thought, isnt this why the Blue Voice were set up? isnt this why they have there own section? and in answering my own question i assumed yes.

You can argue that the atmosphere isnt great in the East Stand, for what its worth this is where is sit and i love a sing song, but most in this stand dont or arent as vocal and behind the goal in the South, its an odd stand being small and on two levels. Ive said for years that they should just open the upper and get as many people in there as they can, neither levels are ever full normally.

Our away support although often samll in numbers is normally very good and vocal and in particular Scott and his band of merry men should be congratulated. Why is it away at Donnie few years back at 5-0 down do we sing non stop, yet at home 3-0 up and second in the league barley anything. Unfortunately and again im not being over critical but the vibes on here re the Blue Voice are more often negative, abuse of players, drinking in the seats etc.

So

Is the Blue Voice still the same Blue Voice set up a few years back?
Why is there such a lack of singing and vocal support from this area?
Has it become just an area that the younger fans congregate in?
Should TBV consider relocating maybe behind the goal, South Upper? Guessing the North bank will never be an option.
What can be done to improve the general atmosphere in the ground, particularly in this thus far successful season.

Up th blues.

It's simple palace will gave up to 1000 "fanatics" behind there goal and we would only get about 150. your question has been answered

I understand that, Palace get average crowds of 14-15K, but the point ive tried to make is that whether its 1000 or 150 its about creating the atmosphere and at the moment whether tbv try or not certainly their position in the ground goes against them, and im not sure the players benefit from them being there. Behind the goal in all grounds will always be the arae of most vocal support, even acc stanly have a decent following of ultras behind the goal and they are tiny club in support. The ability to get behind the team should never be dependant on numbers, we have seen at RH teams come with 150-200 away fans and still generate some noise in that corner, so your point is valid but not entirly accurate.

There is no "Blue Voice" anymore.

Lack of support in terms of numbers and general apathy towards the group and its aims, successive relegations, a bad vibe off the pitch, poor acoustics and logistics at RH, has all contributed to the downfall.

W Block is now just an area where the younger and some older folk gather. Sometimes producing a decent atmosphere. It is no longer the "catalyst" (Not that it really was anyway) that it was a couple of years back.

Now I'm all for trying to improve the atmosphere and get it going again. But the fact is, without those in neighbouring blocks joining in and spreading the noise through the West, to the South and to the East. It just won't work. That's not a dig at anyone. Fact is, outside W block (in fact even in W block itself now) we don't have enough "singers" to make RH a cauldron of noise.

Last edited:
The suggestion to sell the Upper South initially - would make sense. Better view and everyone together should improve atmosphere.
Having said that..what a poor stand!

The suggestion to sell the Upper South initially - would make sense. Better view and everyone together should improve atmosphere.
Having said that..what a poor stand!

There was some talk a few years back about moving TBV to another location..Block S was mentioned by the club to make the singers more central to the stand, but this was aggressively resisted by those already having season tickets in that block and not wanting to move, which is fare enough.

Atmosphere always seems better away as it's normally the hard core support behind the goal in a small area. A few years ago the south upper made a fair bit of noise behind the goal but people will sit where they feel the best view is and this dilutes the atmosphere as those who want to make noise are often in small pockets around the ground. If we had the north bank back and could stand behind the goal it would be far better but that isn't going to happen.

Wasn't the original idea of TBV to try and get everyone who wanted to be vocal into one concentrated area ? Trouble is the west stand is a dump and the view is awful.

Atmosphere always seems better away as it's normally the hard core support behind the goal in a small area. A few years ago the south upper made a fair bit of noise behind the goal but people will sit where they feel the best view is and this dilutes the atmosphere as those who want to make noise are often in small pockets around the ground. If we had the north bank back and could stand behind the goal it would be far better but that isn't going to happen.

Wasn't the original idea of TBV to try and get everyone who wanted to be vocal into one concentrated area ? Trouble is the west stand is a dump and the view is awful.

Yes and you have answered your own question!

Last edited:
There is no "Blue Voice" anymore.

Lack of support in terms of numbers and general apathy towards the group and its aims, successive relegations, a bad vibe off the pitch, poor acoustics and logistics at RH, has all contributed to the downfall.

W Block is now just an area where the younger and some older folk gather. Sometimes producing a decent atmosphere. It is no longer the "catalyst" (Not that it really was anyway) that it was a couple of years back.

Now I'm all for trying to improve the atmosphere and get it going again. But the fact is, without those in neighbouring blocks joining in and spreading the noise through the West, to the South and to the East. It just won't work. That's not a dig at anyone. Fact is, outside W block (in fact even in W block itself now) we don't have enough "singers" to make RH a cauldron of noise.

Oh i never realised that, however, TBV or not there is no reason that we still cant try to come up with a solution. Virtually every ground we go to in any league has these areas behind the goal where the most vocal support congregates. Would it be worth for a few games relocating block w to the south upper just to see if it works?

Oh i never realised that, however, TBV or not there is no reason that we still cant try to come up with a solution. Virtually every ground we go to in any league has these areas behind the goal where the most vocal support congregates. Would it be worth for a few games relocating block w to the south upper just to see if it works?

We suggested that a while back and were met with quite strong opposition from those up there. Which is fair enough.

Fact is the numbers have dwindled in W block. The "singers" that are in there are much younger than they used to be (Again not a dig) and they are probably more focussed on having a laugh and taunting the away fans etc, rather than providing full on vocal support of our team.

Add to that a lack of support from adjacent blocks (whether that be they dont know/like the songs or just generally are not "singers") and the fact W Block is so far away from everyone, it's not a good recipe for noise.

Last edited:
There's been times this season when the people in the W block have created quite a bit of noise but no other parts of the stand have joined in.

That's why it doesn't work. Why should the responsibility of creating an atmosphere lie solely with the W block?

I think the 160 odd Port Vale fans summed it up; 3-0 and you still don't sing....

Also had alttle grin when I heard them sing; we're gonna win 4-3...

It's in block W because that's traditionally where the 'hardcore' element have been for quite some time since the North Bank became the away end (although I remember when I first started going regularly at the beginning of the millenium it was the South Lower where the drum was) and because it's near the away fans which makes for more banter between rival fans, particularly if they bring a large following which admittedly is rare these days. Yes lots of grounds have stands behind the goal where the singers congregate but some also have areas to the side of the away end like us where the 'mob' are (Northampton and Col U spring to mind, not that Col U make any noise). I don't think relocating the 'Blue Voice' to the South Upper is possible since it's mostly season ticket holders up there and they presumably sit there because it's the best view in the ground. They used to make a bit of noise but don't anymore, I sat there for the first time in ages on Saturday and the atmosphere was dead. The South Lower is now part of the Family enclosure so that's also out of the question.

The simple fact is, we don't have enough fans who want to sing and make noise. There are too many old gits at RH and people aren't going to try to start up a chant in a quiet area if they know no-one will join in. There's too much of an 'us v them' attitude, as someone said it doesn't help that the W Block seems so far away from the South and East stand. We should get the "we're the west stand, we're the south stand" thing going again. Our away support is excellent a lot of the time and there are occasions when the potential for an electric atmopshere at Roots Hall is used such as the play-off game against Doncaster, the game against Man U but they're obviously exceptional occasions. The people who sing there are probably spread out over Roots Hall and some may be exiled fans who don't go to home games regularly. We can debate this all day but it won't change anything. As for the atmosphere against Port Vale, we were coasting and it wasn't exactly a tense, dramatic game. You could say there was no need to get behind the team because they were winning easily anyway. Hopefully when we eventually move to the new stadium there'll be a better area for atmosphere to be generated, atlhough I don't imagine there'll be much atmosphere there.

I think we all have a responsibilty to get behind the team and support. Some do more than others. I sit in the east stand and the group where i sit young and old are acually quite vocal and supportive. Others less so. The point i started with was this group at Palace and others around the country have taken it upon themselves to be the ones regardless of how things are goin on the pitch to stay positive and support. If others join in then great. I though that is why tbv was born and for a while worked. The bad feeling towards them or negativity i guess has come about from reports or issues alien to there main objective.

With regard to the south upper and people not liking the idea, if a group of you buys 40 or 50 tickets for example, your seats are allocated, i cant see what anyone can do about it. You have done nothing wrong and provided you conduct yourself in the right manner then that can only benefit the club. The players at times must wonder what they have to do to please people at this club sometimes!

But yes, we are all responsible for the atmosphere and it would be made so much easier if peple reacted positivley rather than the negative. i will say it again on saturday there was an idiot at the back of the east yellows who slagged off gilbert and martin from practically the first kick....how does this work in anyone favour? all it did was **** off about 200 people around him and provide a negative issue at a game we should ahve all been enjoying.

Pleas lets get behind the team and support them from the start to the end!!

In terms of the south upper being mostly ST, its normally about half full so there is plenty of room. My friend for the daggers games bought 25 tickets all together, so there is the room if people want to try. Its just a thought. As for a comment that w block was chosen because its near the away fans...try east blues!

You can argue that the atmosphere isnt great in the East Stand, for what its worth this is where is sit and i love a sing song, but most in this stand dont or arent as vocal and behind the goal in the South, its an odd stand being small and on two levels. Ive said for years that they should just open the upper and get as many people in there as they can, neither levels are ever full normally.

Isnt the south lower used as a family stand ? When I was getting tickets for Morcambe that was certainly offered to me as a family enclosure.

Brighton are a great example of how things could change.

Rubbish acoustics at the withdean , so moved to a great stadium and now have fantastic noise.

Its not always terrible at the hall , but given our league position we have not always had much to shout about and having a decent size away support to banter with makes for a better atmosphere.

Lets get back in to league 1 and enjoy better league gates against bigger and better opposition that im sure will generate the atmosphere we crave.

Back