• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We all want what's best for southend?

Ok but let's be realistic here, the consortium are not going to reveal their detailed business plan to the public, it just won't happen, I would hope that they would set out their plans to the trust at the appropriate time, they don't need our approval and we will get no say in it, if we do go into admin or worse then i'm sure they will move quickly but these people do not appear to be mega wealthy benefactors but do seem willing to take on a huge responsibility and try and guide us back to some stability if nothing else.

Fine. But, IMO, until they come out with detailed plans then it would be foolish to pin your hopes on them or to back them 100%.

I take enormous comfort from the idea that they are there as a safety net if the worst were to happen, but right now they are not putting themselves forward as an alternative to the current regime, presumably because even they know that a buy-out on terms which would be acceptable to Ron Martin just isn't feasible.

Ok but let's be realistic here, the consortium are not going to reveal their detailed business plan to the public, it just won't happen, I would hope that they would set out their plans to the trust at the appropriate time, they don't need our approval and we will get no say in it, if we do go into admin or worse then i'm sure they will move quickly but these people do not appear to be mega wealthy benefactors but do seem willing to take on a huge responsibility and try and guide us back to some stability if nothing else.

According to Paul FizGerald, Chairman of the Trust, he has had discussions with the Consortium in the last few weeks. I would suggest that if the Consortium had a decent plan for the club, Paul F was a pretty important person to bring on board, especially as the Trust have been badly messed around by Ron - but whatever they said, it didn't convince him, in fact Paul then said that Ron was the only horse to back at the moment.

This suggests to me that the Consortium don't have a decent plan in place at the moment, or at least not one they think would convince even as anti-Ron a man as Paul FitzGerald.

According to Paul FizGerald, Chairman of the Trust, he has had discussions with the Consortium in the last few weeks. I would suggest that if the Consortium had a decent plan for the club, Paul F was a pretty important person to bring on board, especially as the Trust have been badly messed around by Ron - but whatever they said, it didn't convince him, in fact Paul then said that Ron was the only horse to back at the moment.

This suggests to me that the Consortium don't have a decent plan in place at the moment, or at least not one they think would convince even as anti-Ron a man as Paul FitzGerald.

Fitz made the correct choice there as well...It would hardly have been constructive to get in bed with the unknown consortium deal and alienate RM even more with 60k outstanding.The Zone met with a representative of the consortium and The Trust and nothing in our minds led us to believe we would be better off with them than the current (although deeply disliked) regime.

Fitz made the correct choice there as well...It would hardly have been constructive to get in bed with the unknown consortium deal and alienate RM even more with 60k outstanding.The Zone met with a representative of the consortium and The Trust and nothing in our minds led us to believe we would be better off with them than the current (although deeply disliked) regime.

Has anyone at the Club come back to you about a meeting with them any time soon?

Can I ask was that view formed due to the disappointment of no promise of huge funds to buy players etc. ?

What i'm interested in is stability and some decent day to day management of the club for the coming season.

So unless the consortium confirmed they would continue to pay HMRC and other creditors late, publicly criticise the manager and players, pay staff late and make us a laughing stock without appearing to be rude just what did you expect ?

You can't be serious about not being an improvement on RM

Can I ask was that view formed due to the disappointment of no promise of huge funds to buy players etc. ?

What i'm interested in is stability and some decent day to day management of the club for the coming season.

So unless the consortium confirmed they would continue to pay HMRC and other creditors late, publicly criticise the manager and players, pay staff late and make us a laughing stock without appearing to be rude just what did you expect ?

For heaven's sake - You can't seriously question Cricko's judgement on this and retain any credibility for your arguements. Cricko isn't some callow youth(!) with unrealistic expectations, and he is certainly no fan of RM. If he says the Consortium was not an option, then they must have been pretty bloody unconvincing, and perhaps you should review your blind faith in them.

I wouldnt get too enthused by the 'consortium'. Their silence, and inability to set out their intentions for SUFC demonstrate to me that they are just property developers looking to make the money FF and line their own pockets, without a care for SUFC.

For heaven's sake - You can't seriously question Cricko's judgement on this and retain any credibility for your arguements. Cricko isn't some callow youth(!) with unrealistic expectations, and he is certainly no fan of RM. If he says the Consortium was not an option, then they must have been pretty bloody unconvincing, and perhaps you should review your blind faith in them.

With all due respect then is he a business man that understands exactly what the proposal was ? Or was there no proposal ?

You see the consortium gets criticised for not laying out their plans yet we have someone representing SZ that won't say too so we can argue all day long and I don't have blind faith in anyone but I see no future with RM

Only way to back up your argument is for cricko to state WHY we won't be any better off with them in his opinion, that seems fair to me

Last edited:
With all due respect then is he a business man that understands exactly what the proposal was ? Or was there no proposal ?

You see the consortium gets criticised for not laying out their plans yet we have someone representing SZ that won't say too so we can argue all day long and I don't have blind faith in anyone but I see no future with RM

Only way to back up your argument is for cricko to state WHY we won't be any better off with them in his opinion, that seems fair to me

It's a fair question and one I can only answer in so many words...

Firstly I have no faith in RM whatsoever,but as has been stated he is the only horse in the running...The consortium have never given details out (even to me in person) as to how they saw the long term future of the club and what they would do to secure this..and that is all I am interested in....I think it is common knowledge that they were willing to buy the club for £1 and pay the clubs debts but to exclude RM in those...That was never going to happen and as most know on here my opinion of RM is that he has taken this club for a ride. But that is just my opinion and many who I do not agree with at times think differently but I respect them for that.

I agree with you we have no proof either way that RM or the consortium would be better for us and that is the main problem as I see it...RM own's the shop but the till is empty.If the consortium were to spell out in detail all they had planned for the club and the security they would provide long term for us, we would all re-consider our thoughts...This has never happened.

Personally I go to football, to watch football and try and enjoy myself, I spend all week talking about how Ron is a **** and how he has ****ed us up here and there.
So when it comes to a matchday, even a friendly, I will go to the game and enjoy it (If I can) especially if the players put in a quite impressive and committed performance against a very descent Derby side.
I try to forget these financial worries, and do what I do best, support the players with that beautiful badge on their chest.

Thats a bloomin nice post Onions,from the heart i'd say,have some rep.

The thing is why should we take the consortiums word they will pay the bills over RM's ?

Not being funny but they are saying exactly what they want people to hear as they want to be the "knights" coming to the rescue.

Dont get me wrong, Im sure they have more cash than RM does but the point I'm making is you are putting faith in one groups promises without any sort of evidence.

For example are they going to offer a big enough sum that means the money paid in from Ron Martins companies will be cleared? Will the amount be big enough that he doesnt need to finish the project to get a profit from this whole affair ?
Are they going to invest 80 million or whatever to build the stadium ? If not how will they finance it ?
At the moment the answer to the first part appears to be no as they want to wait for administration to try to take control, that doesnt solve the problem of the new stadium....

Personally the best option at the moment is for RM to sort out the finances and deliver the project. If however he is unable to do so and someone with money comes in and buys him out then I wont be complaining as long as the stadium goes ahead and stability is restored.

Last edited:
It's a fair question and one I can only answer in so many words...

Firstly I have no faith in RM whatsoever,but as has been stated he is the only horse in the running...The consortium have never given details out (even to me in person) as to how they saw the long term future of the club and what they would do to secure this..and that is all I am interested in....I think it is common knowledge that they were willing to buy the club for £1 and pay the clubs debts but to exclude RM in those...That was never going to happen and as most know on here my opinion of RM is that he has taken this club for a ride. But that is just my opinion and many who I do not agree with at times think differently but I respect them for that.

I agree with you we have no proof either way that RM or the consortium would be better for us and that is the main problem as I see it...RM own's the shop but the till is empty.If the consortium were to spell out in detail all they had planned for the club and the security they would provide long term for us, we would all re-consider our thoughts...This has never happened.

Thanks very much for the answer. Without them revealing full details to you I can understand your viewpoint but we musn't judge them either way, they could be just a load of old wind bags talking tosh or they may have some great plans but need to keep it all under wraps until such time as they can take it a step further.

Whilst the long term future of the club is paramount I for one would take this scenario;

The consortium come in and run the club in a more business like manner and give us some stability even if only for this season whilst actively seeking a serious buyer.

Why does it have to be them as saviours of the club and taking us forward for the next 10 years, i'd be VERY happy if we could oust RM and get some credibility back with HMRC, other creditors and other clubs who may then be more inclined to do business with us. If that were to be even a very short term measure is it not better than the continued pain of the RM regime ?

Consortium lost credibility for me by stating "they would re-instate Steve Tilson" in a terrible stunt to win over fans :(

Consortium lost credibility for me by stating "they would re-instate Steve Tilson" in a terrible stunt to win over fans :(

Fair point but maybe there are other factors like contractual issues, are we not currently paying 2 managers (haha, the term pay used very lightly)

Thanks very much for the answer. Without them revealing full details to you I can understand your viewpoint but we musn't judge them either way, they could be just a load of old wind bags talking tosh or they may have some great plans but need to keep it all under wraps until such time as they can take it a step further.

Whilst the long term future of the club is paramount I for one would take this scenario;

The consortium come in and run the club in a more business like manner and give us some stability even if only for this season whilst actively seeking a serious buyer.

Why does it have to be them as saviours of the club and taking us forward for the next 10 years, i'd be VERY happy if we could oust RM and get some credibility back with HMRC, other creditors and other clubs who may then be more inclined to do business with us. If that were to be even a very short term measure is it not better than the continued pain of the RM regime ?

Thats the point I was making, we shouldnt judge them either way, that means not dismissing them, but also not implying they are guaranteed saviours as well though which a lot seem to be doing.

Ron Martin has let us down ultimately and its down to him to resolve current issues. In the meantime having someone ready to pick up the pieces offers reassurances even if they will only do so once we go into admin and pick up point deductions.

Back