• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ched Evans?

• Yes

Votes: 158 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 252 56.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 37 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's take aside whether he did or didn't do it and also the length of the sentence. Yes, once he has served whatever sentence deemed to be appropriate (which is another issue totally) then he deserves to be allowed to rehabilitate.

However, in my opinion, this is where his position as a pro footballer sets him aside from other trades and professions.

If he was just a normal bod, say, an office worker or call centre staff, the chances are that his victim will never encounter him again.

However, as a pro footballer, whatever team he plays for will have highlights shown on TV every week and the victim herself or any of her family are football fans then every time he scores and his name gets mentioned on air then it will be like a dagger to re-open the wound.

The rehabilitation of the victim - in my opinion - should take preference over the rehabilitation of the criminal.

If he wanted to continue his career he should maybe consider playing abroad. If he appeals and wins, then fair enough. But whilst there are certainly differing degrees of rape, it seems to me that he is more at odds with what the law says he has done rather than his own actions. There's not a lot of remorse there, is there?

I didn't. OK what about Roche who we signed the gangster who got shot? Or Ricky Otto the armed robber?

I don’t know Roche’s back story but the case of Otto is one of a disadvantaged youth from a poor area falling in with the wrong people, not excusing the crime but it was a different kettle of fish and I’d be happy to welcome those in the ilk of Otto as this sort of rehabilitation IMO reflects well on the club. The way Otto has lived his life since backs up my opinion:

Before it became a haven for graphic designers clad in Breton tops riding children's bikes even though they're fully grown men London's Hackney was a rough part of the East End. Otto was raised there and soon came to realise it was a difficult place to grow up – 17 of his friends were killed in an 18-year period. He fell in with the wrong crowd and was sent to prison for armed robbery for four years in 1986, while still a teenager. Following his release, Otto could easily have fallen into a downward spiral of crime and punishment but decided to turn his life around. "Even though I did a four-year sentence I didn't come out and think I was going to carry on down that path," Otto said. "I applied myself and changed my way of thinking so when I came out I elevated myself." Otto started playing for Haringey Borough and his performances were good enough for the Southend United manager Barry Fry – admittedly not the most risk-averse man in the world – to fork out £100,000 for him. Otto teamed up with Fry again at Birmingham City in 1994, when he became Blues' then record signing for £800,000. Unfortunately, Otto was more Garry O'Connor than Christophe Dugarry and slowly sank out of favour. He did not forget his start in life though and when he retired in 2001 he became a probation officer and studied for a degree in theology. "It was weird working with prisoners on the wing and in the cells. The memories all came flooding back and it made me realise how far I'd come as I still have friends doing life sentences," he said. "To be honest I'm just glad to be alive."

Taken from a guardian article

How about a front 3 of Evans, Tes Bramble & Junior Agogo ...... all have shown a predatory instinct ( Alledgedly )

On a serious note , i remember many years ago we played at Bristol Rovers in i think LDV southern semi , It was Agogo's 1st match back for the Gas after his own particular indiscretion. In the first few minutes a ball was played up to him + as he tried to control it , it bounced off his knee into touch near us. One wag instantly shouted "You've got the touch of a rapist!" , and several hundred Shrimpers immediately followed in with the chant. On that night it did seem like funny banter.

Now , in the light of Luton and how massively sensitive and politically correct everyone is now , Would this kind of chant be deemed amusing banter or outrageously out of order ? I wonder ?? What do people think ?

How about a front 3 of Evans, Tes Bramble & Junior Agogo ...... all have shown a predatory instinct ( Alledgedly )

On a serious note , i remember many years ago we played at Bristol Rovers in i think LDV southern semi , It was Agogo's 1st match back for the Gas after his own particular indiscretion. In the first few minutes a ball was played up to him + as he tried to control it , it bounced off his knee into touch near us. One wag instantly shouted "You've got the touch of a rapist!" , and several hundred Shrimpers immediately followed in with the chant. On that night it did seem like funny banter.

Now , in the light of Luton and how massively sensitive and politically correct everyone is now , Would this kind of chant be deemed amusing banter or outrageously out of order ? I wonder ?? What do people think ?

I remember that night. Loads of Rovers fan tried to smash in the pub window before the game. If we said touch of a ****** that would be bad.

It would be a tipping point for me and I wouldn't go to matches. Rape is in a different category to other crimes in my book.

Worse than murder?

I've seen girls in pubs, banging away the wine & shots like its going out if date. of course, come closing time, theyre basically passed out, incoherent & totally spaced. They've put themselves in the most dangerous & quite frankly, frightening situation. There just seems to be a lack of self control these days.

Oh dear GBJ, you're getting old, that's the sort of thing I'd say! :winking:

I am fairly ambivalent about it, I don't see that he should have to forfeit his career but equally I'm not sure I could metaphorically embrace him wholeheartedly as a Southend player. I'm fairly sure I could tolerate him though if he started banging in the goals.

Just heard a terrific interview on Talksport with Adrian Durham and Darren Gough on Drivetime. Gordon Taylor was on and clearly got very, very irritated at the line of questioning and slammed the phone down at the end. Cracking radio.

Just heard a terrific interview on Talksport with Adrian Durham and Darren Gough on Drivetime. Gordon Taylor was on and clearly got very, very irritated at the line of questioning and slammed the phone down at the end. Cracking radio.

Rightly so, Adrian Durham is a serial wind up merchant and was clearly trying to get something controversial out of Taylor, Taylor fought back and put the phone down at the end of the interview, hardly slammed it down. Durham was questioning why Evans got a round of applause for being in the PFA team of the year, Taylor quite rightly pointed out that the applause was for the whole team and not for individual players. Durham is a prize ****!

Rightly so, Adrian Durham is a serial wind up merchant and was clearly trying to get something controversial out of Taylor, Taylor fought back and put the phone down at the end of the interview, hardly slammed it down. Durham was questioning why Evans got a round of applause for being in the PFA team of the year, Taylor quite rightly pointed out that the applause was for the whole team and not for individual players. Durham is a prize ****!

Sounded like it was slammed down to me. They both thanked him for coming on air and he said nothing. The "clunk" of the phone was very audible but even if it was only put down, it was still cracking radio.

Incidentally, I haven't and didn't make any comment on whether Taylor was right or wrong or Durham was winding him up or not. I think they both made good points, Taylor is at a disadvantage because he clearly has information he can't impart and Durham was trying to get it out of him one way or another; nothing wrong with that. It was pretty entertaining stuff.

Sounded like it was slammed down to me. They both thanked him for coming on air and he said nothing. The "clunk" of the phone was very audible but even if it was only put down, it was still cracking radio.

Incidentally, I haven't and didn't make any comment on whether Taylor was right or wrong or Durham was winding him up or not. I think they both made good points, Taylor is at a disadvantage because he clearly has information he can't impart and Durham was trying to get it out of him one way or another; nothing wrong with that. It was pretty entertaining stuff.

Fair point, I just can't stand Adrian Durham to be honest.

Evans is entitled to continue his life but I wouldn't want to be the first to take him - realise that's split standards. Can't believe Sheff U are even considering it - it just goes to show how much a player who can score a few goals is worth. If we needed a keeper, I'd take McCormick now, whereas I wouldn't when he was first released.

Never would accept him at Southend to be honest. We are a family club and having a convicted rapist in the team would hardly enhance our image to potential investers/sponsors etc.

That said, football is corrupt and morally bankrupt to the core. I have said it before and I will say it again, if there was a convicted child molester who could be assured to score you twenty goals a season if you signed him there would be a club somewhere who would take him on - no doubt about it. :thumbdown:

Never would accept him at Southend to be honest. We are a family club and having a convicted rapist in the team would hardly enhance our image to potential investers/sponsors etc.

That said, football is corrupt and morally bankrupt to the core. I have said it before and I will say it again, if there was a convicted child molester who could be assured to score you twenty goals a season if you signed him there would be a club somewhere who would take him on - no doubt about it. :thumbdown:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sorry... the very notion of a potential investor getting past Ron (not gonna happen) and then worrying about Evans... just too funny

He's a convicted rapist, so no way would i want him at Southend,

I cannot believe less than 50% are against this scum playing for the blues..

where do you draw the line? Would you want a paedo in the team, just cos he scores goals? Or what if your new boss at work was a rapist.... He has no place in the public eye!

No. If you're callous enough to rape somebody, you throw away any chance you have at being a professional footballer imo. Might sound mad but I'd rather us stay in this division with decent people at the club than get promoted from the goals of a rapist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back