• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Neraly finished How Green Was My Valley, a 1939 novel by Richard Llewellyn, Not exactly The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist but still a classic of working class literature.The lashings of nostalgia for a now vanished way of life will put many off though I suppose.

Just finished Beyond the Columns a short monograph on the Librarie Des Colonees in Tangier and its literary Circle by Andrew Clandermond and Dr.Terence MacCarthy. Not exactly news that from Paul Bowles onwards there was a thriving gay scene in Tangier.

Just started Chris Roland's "Understanding Teenagers in the ELT Classroom." Been meaning to get round to it for over a year or so now.Not bad. (Rather take exception -in the acknowlegements-to the author's description of one of his DELTA tutors as "fantastic".She's the partner of an ex-colleague of mine.For all I know, she might be an excellent EFL teacher/tutor but she's certaintly not much of a human being).

One last try with 'Ulysses'.. Gave up after several previous attempts but now reading it with different technique, just listenihg to the sound of the words without trying to understand what is going on in too much detail.

One last try with 'Ulysses'.. Gave up after several previous attempts but now reading it with different technique, just listenihg to the sound of the words without trying to understand what is going on in too much detail.

You and many others (including myself).Chapeau.:Worthy:
Remember at a meeting of the LIT/Debating soc.at WHS first hearing an extract of it read out just after the paperback was released.Did pick it up again for the Molly Bloom sequence at the end, after the film came out.

My Dublin colleague & mate tells me it helps if you know the locations where it's set.I only know a few of them. :Dunce:

You and many others (including myself).Chapeau.:Worthy:
Remember at a meeting of the LIT/Debating soc.at WHS first hearing an extract of it read out just after the paperback was released.Did pick it up again for the Molly Bloom sequence at the end, after the film came out.

My Dublin colleague & mate tells me it helps if you know the locations where it's set.I only know a few of them. :Dunce:
Yes, I am sure it would help. It's so rich in allusions I doubt if it is humanly possible to fully understand so many layers of meaning. Really enjoying it this time although I used to think William Faulkner was difficult!

Yes, I am sure it would help. It's so rich in allusions I doubt if it is humanly possible to fully understand so many layers of meaning. Really enjoying it this time although I used to think William Faulkner was difficult!

That and knowing the plot of Homer's Odyssey too,apparently, (which I don't). Your technique of just listening to the sound of the words "without trying to understand what's going on" is also the recommended way of trying to read Finnegan's Wake,of course.A Brummie mate (with Irish parents) swears this worked for him. Can't say I've tried.Not a fan of Faulkner either,who as you say, is difficult.

I took 4 on holiday (including a "teeny" Morpurgo that I read in a day), but I haven't finished the other yet. Stephen King's 11.22.63 IS the longest book I have ever read. I read it religiously every day and my Kindle says I still have 30% left to read..........

I took 4 on holiday (including a "teeny" Morpurgo that I read in a day), but I haven't finished the other yet. Stephen King's 11.22.63 IS the longest book I have ever read. I read it religiously every day and my Kindle says I still have 30% left to read..........

Ha! I imagine with Kindle (as with real books) you can still flip to the last few pages if you want to though. :Winking:

Back