• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Finished Slash’s autobiography. A very long book and only went up to 2007 but what a life he had. A great read and I would recommend it. Love Slash he’s up there with my all time favourite guitarists.

The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo. Knocked it out in a couple of hours. Teenagers book but damn good like all his books.

Just finished Billy Bragg's 'Roots, Radicals and Rockers: How Skiffle Changed The World' - with thanks to my Cultural Commissar, 'Tangled Up in Blue'.

It's a learned tome about the characters involved in the birth and development of Skiffle - a neglected but significant and influential musical genre, not least because it inspired so many future British rock and rollers who became famous in the nineteen-sixties. It's fitting that it was written by 'The Bard of Barking and Bridport' who makes the connection between Skiffle and Punk - how both developed outside the commercial mainstream initially but inspired countless non-musically trained people to give it a go - as the latter certainly did that for him.

It's also great on the social history of not only dear old Blighty but the USA too, especially the influence of New Orleans and Jazz and Blues. And it's really informative on how the songs and style of the mighty Huddie Ledbetter, better known as 'Lead Belly', led to Lonnie Donegan's breakthrough with 'Rock Island Line'.

As Jack White said at The Brit Awards, "Remember, Lonnie Donegan started it for you."

Last edited:
Korea by Max Hastings.
He covers the Japanese expansionist period, the aftermath of WW2 and the build up to the "police action".
Some very interesting stuff.

Finished Slash’s autobiography. A very long book and only went up to 2007 but what a life he had. A great read and I would recommend it. Love Slash he’s up there with my all time favourite guitarists.
It's a good one that. Rock star autobiographies are a favourite genre of mine "Ozzy" by Ozzy Osbourne and "the Dirt" by Motley Crue are even better than Slash's. "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis is decent as well

John Peel began this autobiography, 'Margrave Of The Marshes', prior to his death in 2004, and his wife Sheila Ravenscroft completed it from John's diary notes, the book plan that he sent to his agent and also via her own recollections of the events that John wished to note. I found it quite a good insight into the mores of English society, particularly John's difficult experience of being at public school in Shrewsbury in the early 1950s. He writes also of his time in the US where he landed his first DJ spots, being in Dallas when JFK was killed and of getting married to the wrong person.

Sheila takes over for the second part of the book when John is in London as a Radio 1 DJ in the late 1960s, and in an unhappy marriage. Sheila also conveys John's great humour and principled nature and my feeling about the book is that it can be viewed as a charming love story - of John's love for Sheila, known as 'Pig' due to her snorting laugh, and their children, as well of course to the music and the bands/individual artists who he championed until his untimely death.

A good read and a sweet reminder of a much-missed "national treasure."

JP 2 .jpg

Last edited:
"The Istanbul Puzzle". So far, one beheading, diplomats shot at, one bombed, a deadly virus and riots in London!

John Peel began this autobiography, 'Margrave Of The Marshes', prior to his death in 2004, and his wife Sheila Ravenscroft completed it from John's diary notes, the book plan that he sent to his agent and also via her own recollections of the events that John wished to note. I found it quite a good insight into the mores of English society, particularly John's difficult experience of being at public school in Shrewsbury in the early 1950s. He writes also of his time in the US where he landed his first DJ spots, being in Dallas when JFK was killed and of getting married to the wrong person.

Sheila takes over for the second part of the book when John is in London as a Radio 1 DJ in the late 1960s, and in an unhappy marriage. Sheila also conveys John's great humour and principled nature and my feeling about the book is that it can be viewed as a charming love story - of John's love for Sheila, known as 'Pig' due to her snorting laugh, and their children, as well of course to the music and the bands/individual artists who he championed until his untimely death.

A good read and a sweet reminder of a much-missed "national treasure."

View attachment 12290

I'd forgotten John Peel was the compere at Mickey Jupp's Big Band's final gig at Roots Hall, (I was there), on 31/05/1976.Alvin Lee ,Budgie and Fairport Convention also shared the bill.

After MJ's bands performance John Peel sad :"This rock and roll business is great,isn't it? There's terrific bands like this who have to split because they can't afford to stay together,while there are crap bands going to America to avoid their taxes". "

"Right on,John"

(Quotes from Mike Wade's Hole in My Pocket.

Back