• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With thanks to 'Tangled Up In Blue' for passing this one onto me which I started and finished today. It's a very different work of fiction with an original structure which reads like quickly shifting screenplays across London and a nearby suburb. It's probably the quickest that I've ever read a book as it flits through a range of scenarios which give you some insights into the main characters and their different lives. None of them are particularly likeable, however.

It feels quite genuine in its description of Police corruption, calculated violence and power brokers behind the scenes. Definitely not a 'feel good' slice of life from its origins of twenty years ago but intriguing, unsettling and a different kind of read to the orthodox style of story-telling and it feels thoroughly in keeping with what the publishers BAD PRESS iNK describe as their "niche, alternative and cult fiction".

Ray Leigh.png

I finished this one yesterday. With thanks again to 'Tangled Up In Blue' for sending this over.

It's a good biography meets commentary on Orwell's developing perspectives during a half-century of dramatic history with the continuing narrative of putting them in the context of modern day politics - which works to some extent. A 'should read' for Orwell buffs so long as you don't mind discovering Mr Bradford's own views on the new world order.

Orwell AMOOT.jpg

With thanks to 'Tangled Up In Blue' for passing this one onto me which I started and finished today. It's a very different work of fiction with an original structure which reads like quickly shifting screenplays across London and a nearby suburb. It's probably the quickest that I've ever read a book as it flits through a range of scenarios which give you some insights into the main characters and their different lives. None of them are particularly likeable, however.

It feels quite genuine in its description of Police corruption, calculated violence and power brokers behind the scenes. Definitely not a 'feel good' slice of life from its origins of twenty years ago but intriguing, unsettling and a different kind of read to the orthodox style of story-telling and it feels thoroughly in keeping with what the publishers BAD PRESS iNK describe as their "niche, alternative and cult fiction".

View attachment 12412

That's a good review.I had to ask the author to help me out with the plot details(which he very kindly did).

I finished this one yesterday. With thanks again to 'Tangled Up In Blue' for sending this over.

It's a good biography meets commentary on Orwell's developing perspectives during a half-century of dramatic history with the continuing narrative of putting them in the context of modern day politics - which works to some extent. A 'should read' for Orwell buffs so long as you don't mind discovering Mr Bradford's own views on the new world order.

View attachment 12413

While I didn't particularly mind Mr Bradford's own views on the NWO I found it a bit rich that he could put himself in Eric Arthur Blair's shoes and claim, for example, that Orwell would not have approved of the UK leaving the EU but would have been in favour of joining.Who knows? Sill he did talk about the book and Orwell's politics in quite an authoritative way on the Daily Politics show (back in January?) which was why I bought it.Also bought (and read ) his earlier biography of Alan Sillitoe afterwards.

Last edited:
I finished this one last night. It's one that leaves me with mixed feelings. The tragi-comic priapic protagonist Bunny Munro is a man traveling on a self-destructive road whilst simultaneously trying to show his son Bunny Junior 'the ropes' of being a great salesman, following the harrowing death of BJ's mother.

It's mostly very well-written (though I did get weary of the constant refrain of Bunny "torching his Zippo") and it has a moving ending but the car crash of Bunny's last days, his appalling treatment of women and his mercenary behaviour combine to make it an uncomfortable read on occasions. Once I got over myself in this respect, I found that I could enjoy it and eventually understand the roots of Bunny's vulnerability too, particularly when the third Bunny Munro (Senior) arrives in his sickly glory towards the end of the novel.

TDOBM.jpg

Just started Lockdown by Peter May.

Last edited:
I finished this one last night. It's one that leaves me with mixed feelings. The tragi-comic priapic protagonist Bunny Munro is a man traveling on a self-destructive road whilst simultaneously trying to show his son Bunny Junior 'the ropes' of being a great salesman, following the harrowing death of BJ's mother.

It's mostly very well-written (though I did get weary of the constant refrain of Bunny "torching his Zippo") and it has a moving ending but the car crash of Bunny's last days, his appalling treatment of women and his mercenary behaviour combine to make it an uncomfortable read on occasions. Once I got over myself in this respect, I found that I could enjoy it and eventually understand the roots of Bunny's vulnerability too, particularly when the third Bunny Munro (Senior) arrives in his sickly glory towards the end of the novel.

View attachment 12446

Saw Nick Cave in a stripped down concert here a few years back (just him and one musician from the Bad Seeds) on a mini tour to plug this book. Gig included readings from TDoBM.I really should have taken my copy along and got it autographed (as he was quite happy to do so for other people).

View attachment 12413
Burmese days. Orwells novel about colonial days based (loosly) on his time there.

Just finished this one that 'Tangled Up In Blue' lent me nearly 15 years ago but somehow I haven't got through it properly 'til now. I'm contributing to a 'Bookworm Group' on Facebook and here's what I wrote:-

Quite a biggie this one (as befits its subject) at over 400 pages but one you can dip into without losing the thread. 'The Longest Crawl' of pubs between St. Agnes in The Isles of Scilly to Unst in The Shetlands took place over one month in April, 2004 (with some criss-crossing across the mainland to take in some far-flung distilleries too), provides an amusing and informative tale of male friendship and musings on the state of the nations in the UK (apart from Northern Ireland) with an eerily prescient nod towards the divisions that emerged big-time just over a decade later.

Ian Marchant is an engaging writer and I even forgave him his over-use of the word 'lass' (which always seem a bit odd coming from a Southerner) when it emerged that he'd lived for several years in Lancaster. I was pleased to see the appearance of one of my favourite 'proper' pubs early in the journey, i.e. The Blue Anchor in Helston, despite the unflattering description of one of its erstwhile barmen.

Marchant is a good observer and raconteur, as you'd expect of someone who's also performed stand-up comedy, and he always errs on the side of good old-fashioned decency too - as you'd also expect from an aficionado of Orwell. A good read and now, sixteen years on, it's also a snapshot of social history.

It's also worth a look for anyone intrigued in the fierce competition of pub quizzes too - and quite poignant for the author who was struggling with depression at the time that he was invited to join a team. He came through that and the quiz team in Lancaster went from strength-to-strength too. That's not the ending but it's part of "the journey" that he reflects on. And in the travels this book, it's another reminder that it's the voyage and not necessarily the destination that is the prize.

longestcrawl.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished this one that 'Tangled Up In Blue' lent me nearly 15 years ago but somehow I haven't got through it properly 'til now. I'm contributing to a 'Bookworm Group' on Facebook and here's what I wrote just now:-

Quite a biggie this one (as befits its subject) at over 400 pages but one you can dip into without losing the thread. 'The Longest Crawl' of pubs between St. Agnes in The Isles of Scilly to Unst in The Shetlands took place over one month in April, 2004 (with some criss-crossing across the mainland to take in some far-flung distilleries too), provides an amusing and informative tale of male friendship and musings on the state of the nations in the UK (apart from Northern Ireland) with an eerily prescient nod towards the divisions that emerged big-time just over a decade later.

Ian Marchant is an engaging writer and I even forgave him his over-use of the word 'lass' (which always seem a bit odd coming from a Southerner) when it emerged that he'd lived for several years in Lancaster. I was pleased to see the appearance of one of my favourite 'proper' pubs early in the journey, i.e. The Blue Anchor in Helston, despite the unflattering description of one of its erstwhile barmen.

Marchant is a good observer and raconteur, as you'd expect of someone who's also performed stand-up comedy, and he always errs on the side of good old-fashioned decency too - as you'd also expect from an aficionado of Orwell. A good read and now, sixteen years on, it's also a snapshot of social history.

It's also worth a look for anyone intrigued in the fierce competition of pub quizzes too - and quite poignant for the author who was struggling with depression at the time that he was invited to join a team. He came through that and the quiz team in Lancaster went from strength-to-strength too. That's not the ending but it's part of "the journey" that he reflects on. And in the travels this book, it's another reminder that it's the voyage and not necessarily the destination that is the prize.

View attachment 12559

Not Tony perchance ?

Back