• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

British Summer Time Begin:The School Summer Holidays 1930-1980 by Ysenda Maxatone Graham.Well -written but a bit too much focus on middle class holidays for me (with the honourable exeption Of Dennis Skinner's In Clay Cross).

About halfway through James Gavin's detailed autobiography of Chet Baker.Deep in a Dream:The long night of Chet Baker.

Most junkies tend to end up the same way unless they quit unfortunately.No matter how talented they are.

A fantastic 'dipper-inner' this and a charming account of what it's like being a vinyl junkie. Tim Burgess nails the obsessional joy of record-collecting and seeks out the recommendations of his various friends in music, football and showbiz whilst celebrating the vinyl emporia from across the globe that might just have these varied choices deep in their crates. This has a personal interest for me not just as an erstwhile searcher of vinyl from yesteryear but also because my best mate is quoted in it - from Tim's forays into his record shop in Norfolk. He also got Tim to sign my copy which makes it all the more special too. I especially loved Tim's description of his chance meeting with Lou Reed - you can really picture this moment of brilliant Lou droll.

Tim Book Two.jpg

Last edited:
About to start Gates of Fire (again x3, it's that good). Fiction written by Steven Pressfield, it tells the story of the Battle of Thermopylae through Xeones, a perioikoi (free but non-citizen inhabitant of Sparta) born in Astakos, and one of only three Greek survivors of the battle.

Couldnt continue Lee Child's Exit Music, a load of old tosh
Couldnt continue Spalding Gray's Impossible Vacation - pretentious nonsense

So reading Marathon Man - which was later made into a film by its author.

Back