• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

They should remove the term Empire. It needs totally modernising to have any value IMO.

The word Empire is a huge part of our history and one we can be proud of. Just think where the world would be today without the combined effort of all the good people from the Commonwealth.....People would be getting Iron crosses at Christmas......Well white men only of course.

To dismiss them all as people of colour and expecting them to agree with your British loathing politics is an insult to the majority of them.

Day 5 of this flu and it's barely abated. Happy ****ing days.

Juice 3 oranges, a little bit of fresh ginger and about a third of a bag of spinach. Drink a glass of that twice a day over the next 48 hours, and it will help! Oh, and loads of water and keep the meds up.

The word Empire is a huge part of our history and one we can be proud of. Just think where the world would be today without the combined effort of all the good people from the Commonwealth.....People would be getting Iron crosses at Christmas......Well white men only of course.

To dismiss them all as people of colour and expecting them to agree with your British loathing politics is an insult to the majority of them.

On the contrary the idea that "the white man's burden" was undertaken for any reason other than to enrich the UK is just for the birds.

On the contrary the idea that "the white man's burden" was undertaken for any reason other than to enrich the UK is just for the birds.

I know you won't have heard of them but look up the West African Squadron......Don't be afraid of that title......Its this sort of fantastic British history that we are never taught because as we both know education is controlled for the benefit of certain people.

Last edited:
Harry Billinge a D-day veteran and hero has to wait until he is 94 to receive an MBE and I salute you sir.

However Joe Root at not yet 30 and not actually won a lot or set the world on fire yet gets one as well!

I'm not a fan of the honours system but World Cup winner Joe Root has 7359 test runs at an average of 48.41 and 5856 ODI runs at an average of 51.36 to his name.

That's more runs for England than Gooch:Stunned:

I think comparing Root and Gooch in ODI's probably doesn't quite translate.

ODI's were entirely different in Gooch's day. Lighter bats, bigger boundaries, different scoring mindsets and so on. Just as an example, Gooch's Strike Rate was 61.88, whereas Root is 87.37.

Obviously if Gooch played in the modern era, it would be a different game now and one I am sure he would have excelled at.

ODI's were entirely different in Gooch's day. Lighter bats, bigger boundaries, different scoring mindsets and so on. Just as an example, Gooch's Strike Rate was 61.88, whereas Root is 87.37.

Obviously if Gooch played in the modern era, it would be a different game now and one I am sure he would have excelled at.

That's not meant as a criticism of Gooch but a badge of honour for Root.

The idea that someone could score more runs by the age of 29 for England than Gooch managed in his career and win a world cup yet be criticised as not having achieved anything in his career is something I'm struggling with. We need more Joe Roots (just not as captain).

I'm not a fan of the honours system but World Cup winner Joe Root has 7359 test runs at an average of 48.41 and 5856 ODI runs at an average of 51.36 to his name.

Gooch would have been great in any era, he had the work ethic and belief in his own ability that meant he would have adapted his game and been one of the best in the world. A good friend of mine is married to his daughter and he is still a machine as far as his fitness regime is concerned, when they go on holidays together Goochie makes him get up early and go on runs with him etc

I agree, the honours system means nothing to me. Not that I'd ever be considered, but if I were I'd decline. I do like to see people it obviously means a lot to get recognised though.
I was hoping Jimmy Greaves might get recognition while he is still around but that looks unlikely.

Gooch would have been great in any era, he had the work ethic and belief in his own ability that meant he would have adapted his game and been one of the best in the world. A good friend of mine is married to his daughter and he is still a machine as far as his fitness regime is concerned, when they go on holidays together Goochie makes him get up early and go on runs with him etc

Pleased to hear that. Until 6 months ago, i worked in a Store where Graham would often pop in to purchase something.
Everytime i saw him, he looked like he'd had a late night on the 'juice'!.

People leaving work today, saying “see you next decade!” need their hard drives checking

He was an absolute gent when I met him in the box at an Essex Eagles game. A really nice bloke.
Think if you see him at events where he is representing Essex you get that Goochie. Have heard from several people he'd not so friendly if you meet him out in public and try and bother him during his leisure time :Hilarious:
Fair enough though

Back