• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Self employed one man Ltd Company and my boss is a ****.

I have a friend who is a contractor at TfL. The new rules on IR35 came in for them about 3 years ago. He was also told that his contract would move inside IR35 so he left. 6 months later they called him up and asked him to come back. He refused because he wasn't prepared to be inside IR35. They explained that when they made that decision nearly all their contractors left so they reversed their decision.

Now they are very careful to ensure their contracts are outside IR35 and even have reviews with HMRC to ensure they stay that way.

It might be worth threatening to leave. IIRC you're in banking? I know the banks are trying to force everyone inside, as are a number of other companies, but the more contractors that refuse and walk away the better for us all.

Companies and individuals can also take out IR35 insurance. The insurance company will review any contracts and also fight your corner if HMRC decide to investigate. So long as both sides are careful and clear there is no reason for a proper contract to be inside IR35. The only reason companies are getting jittery is because they don't really understand the issues and are scared they may get caught out and have to pay the NI.

Moreover, I've also been told that no contractor has ever lost a court case against HMRC regarding IR35 because the rules are so vague. (I'm not 100% sure that is true, but it is what I have been told.)

I have a friend who is a contractor at TfL. The new rules on IR35 came in for them about 3 years ago. He was also told that his contract would move inside IR35 so he left. 6 months later they called him up and asked him to come back. He refused because he wasn't prepared to be inside IR35. They explained that when they made that decision nearly all their contractors left so they reversed their decision.

Now they are very careful to ensure their contracts are outside IR35 and even have reviews with HMRC to ensure they stay that way.

It might be worth threatening to leave. IIRC you're in banking? I know the banks are trying to force everyone inside, as are a number of other companies, but the more contractors that refuse and walk away the better for us all.

Companies and individuals can also take out IR35 insurance. The insurance company will review any contracts and also fight your corner if HMRC decide to investigate. So long as both sides are careful and clear there is no reason for a proper contract to be inside IR35. The only reason companies are getting jittery is because they don't really understand the issues and are scared they may get caught out and have to pay the NI.

Moreover, I've also been told that no contractor has ever lost a court case against HMRC regarding IR35 because the rules are so vague. (I'm not 100% sure that is true, but it is what I have been told.)

I am more worried about the implications for my limited company. Hopefully I don't need to wind it up.

I am more worried about the implications for my limited company. Hopefully I don't need to wind it up.

If you do there's a way to save a lot of tax, but you'll have to be quick about it and get it done before the end of the tax year.

Assuming you've paid yourself any dividends this year, pay it all back into the business. Then wind up the company. You can then take all the money out at 10% entrepreneurs allowance. (Obviously you also take some dividends because the first so many thousands is only taxed at 7.5%!)

For the record, that's a very simplified version of what you actually need to do and it might not work, especially if you then start up a new company doing much the same thing. It's worth exploring though.

The media panic over the Coronavirus. Jeez, standard influenza kills people each year but yet the media are treating this like the end of days.

It's a bit different though isn't it. It's novel and still being investigated. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-new-coronavirus-what-we-do-and-dont-know-2020012518747

Transmission appears to be "very limited", says the Health Protection Agency: if it were very contagious, there would be more cases in more countries, as well as in those caring for the two British cases, the first of which happened more than four months ago. The incubation period is currently thought likely to be seven days.

Coronaviruses are fairly fragile, surviving outside the body for only about 24 hours. They are easily destroyed by detergents and cleaning agents. The risk of UK residents contracting infection in the UK is very low.

Transmission appears to be "very limited", says the Health Protection Agency: if it were very contagious, there would be more cases in more countries, as well as in those caring for the two British cases, the first of which happened more than four months ago. The incubation period is currently thought likely to be seven days.

Coronaviruses are fairly fragile, surviving outside the body for only about 24 hours. They are easily destroyed by detergents and cleaning agents. The risk of UK residents contracting infection in the UK is very low.

But it's news. Therefore it's right to make people aware.

Our friends over the pond up in arms over Randy Andy not cooperating. All a bit rich when they refuse to hand over the women involved in Harry Dunns death

Our friends over the pond up in arms over Randy Andy not cooperating. All a bit rich when they refuse to hand over the women involved in Harry Dunns death
In my book two wrongs do not make a right, Andy is a sleaze bag creep and I would be surprised if there is not more to come out. He is not above accountability.
However the killer, by accident and unintentional, of young Dunn needs to be told by the USA that actions have consequences and get on a plane.

A sign of modern living. When I was growing up you had the story of the Princess and the Pea.

Now we have the Prince and the Paedo.

I'm here all week.

Hacked off, not really, but as I cycled in a man (and he was young, I'd say 20s) shouted out at me: "You'll do your muscles in!".

How odd.

The Amazon man ringing the doorbell and sprinting off like Bolt with my package... I swear they do it deliberately. ****.

I'm off to get cat No.4. I must be mad.

I had two and they did my head in. Got rid of them because they were destroying the house and furniture. One of the little ****s used to scratch the scratching post then go and scratch the sofa straight after.

I don’t envy you!

I am sure the birds in your garden will be happy, and the neighbours.

I keep a supply of tennis balls in the conservatory to throw at cats.

I go to a lot of effort to attract wildlife and don't want cats attacking the squirrels and woodpeckers.

Strangely enough they leave the badgers alone.

My last cat was a killing machine. I didn't really like it. The other two didn't bother them at all. Hope no4 is the same as Morpheus and Leia.

Back