• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Also just to point out, those fee's I quoted weren't the highest in our area - we chose the home that offered what we were hoping would give the best all-round service and care. If memory serves, the lowest was around £1500 and the highest just shy of £1800.

That latter one - sheesh, it was like walking into a 5-star hotel. Sadly, the air of urine in the place wasn't terribly inviting and one would have thought at that price, something could've/should've been done about it. Guess the staff and residents were just used to it I suppose.

One thing we did learn to ask in our search for a place was that would the home in question give that all important care through to end of life. It was surprising the number replying that should the resident get to a particular level on the dementia scale, they'd have to find alternative accommodation/care. Nice.

What we have to look forward to, eh ? Something to be said for a heart attack and out...... :Think:

Shyster robbing Care homes for the elderly. As some on here are aware, my 92 yr old step dad passed away last Fri evening.
After 6 weeks in Southend Hosp, they wanted him out & we managed to get his 'end of life' care in a Home in Rayleigh. NHS subsidised it but we still had to contribute £260 per week towards the £950 they charged!!.
He was in there for exactly 1 week, yet i got an invoice today for 15 days, totalling £527.
I phoned & queried it, and firstly was told that although he died Fri evening, the Dr. didn't turn up to confirm it till 2.05am Sat morning, so they charge for saturday being the 8th day.
We went back Sat lunchtime to get his stuff, & the room had already had a 'make over' ready for the next poor old person to go there.
Then was told the contract stipulates if the room isn't filled for the next 7 days, we have to pay for that week as well!. I replied that's not our problem if no-ones in it, & we're only 1/2 way through the 2nd week, so how can you charge me for whole week, & how do we know no-one is in the room?.
Their answer, because the Home have told them no-ones there ( of course they'd say that? ).
They said they'd wait till Friday & ask the Home if the rooms been taken?. No prizes for what they will say.
Money robbing conniving 'cash cows' or what?.
I could make a scene as i looked in the Laundry room, & they were washing bed sheets with personal clothing items at the same temp, FFS!. But just glad poor Ern is at peace now, & wasn't in there for a few weeks.

Absolutely disgusting T, but not surprising.

You have my sincere sympathy KevinJH, your right about the food. All poor Ern managed a day was a couple of cups of tea, 1/3rd of a Yoghurt, & 4-5 spoonfuls of crushed banana & custard for £950 per week.
Believe it or not, one day when my step sister was in his room with the manageress of the home ( IMO slimy little uncaring Indian woman, & that's not being racist, but a fact ) she asked my sister if she wanted to change his nappy FFS!.
When we collected his sparse belongings, she had the audacity to let her know when his funeral is!.
Totally disgusting care & false feelings. As you say enough said.

You're not being racist T, just saying how it is. Having dealt with and visited untold times, 6 different care homes to do with my in-laws and the elderly I help over the last 7 years, the majority of the carers were foreign. I found certain Nationalities most uncaring, and other Nationalities absolutely brilliant, the Polish being the best along with the English.

And as a final nail in the coffin, so to speak, or rather to my contribution to this care home farce; we've just this moment received a final statement confirming the closing of the account and it's most recent transactions. Result ? They've charged £95. for the pleasure of supplying said final statement. Now if that's not daylight robbery after what they've already taken I don't know what is :Scared:

And as a final nail in the coffin, so to speak, or rather to my contribution to this care home farce; we've just this moment received a final statement confirming the closing of the account and it's most recent transactions. Result ? They've charged £95. for the pleasure of supplying said final statement. Now if that's not daylight robbery after what they've already taken I don't know what is :Scared:

Talk about squeeze every last penny they can. It's like a legal scam.

Could we not have a thread about elderly parents/friends. I'm sure between us there is a lot of knowledge or just a chance to vent some anger as it really is a stressful situation to deal with.

I have to say i have been truly shocked by the poor standards, at all levels so far when dealing with my own mother.

“And as a final nail in the coffin, so to speak, or rather to my contribution to this care home farce; we've just this moment received a final statement confirming the closing of the account and it's most recent transactions. Result ? They've charged £95. for the pleasure of supplying said final statement. Now if that's not daylight robbery after what they've already taken I don't know what is“

Tell them you don’t want a final statement and send it back.

From my experience the so-called care homes are nothing of the sort and provide the basics in ‘care‘ for the lowest possible financial outlay whilst fleecing residents to the nth degree as they know said residents have little choice but to pay. Cheaper to sign up for ongoing holidays on a cruise ship in the knowledge there’s a medical team on standby 24hrs a day and regular meals.

Couple of my family members are carers. They work their arses off, with their hands tied behind their backs.

Without making this a political issue, I think the owners of these companies need a bit of a shake up.

Granted I’m not an expert, and this is a little anecdotal, but regardless, I know of one owner, who employs the bare minimum number of staff, expects them to knock out 16-hour shifts, to be available for short notice cover, on-call 24/7, and pays them a shade above minimum wage.

Meanwhile, he owns a small mansion here, two Spanish villas, and a handful of sports/luxury cars.

Again, no expert, and not wanting to drag politics into it, but something seems drastically wrong there. I don’t begrudge people working hard to have nice things, but the gap between the top and the bottom is phenomenal.

It’s not as if these employees are doing menial work - they’re qualified professionals who are tasked with looking after your/mine/our loved ones.

Two women were just walking past our house each with with a dog on a lead then stopped to let their dogs p*ss onto our front garden. What gives these bl**dy people the right to think it's alright to do this?

Two women were just walking past our house each with with a dog on a lead then stopped to let their dogs p*ss onto our front garden. What gives these bl**dy people the right to think it's alright to do this?
Look at the positive, dogs spraying will put cats of sh it ing.

Couple of my family members are carers. They work their arses off, with their hands tied behind their backs.

Without making this a political issue, I think the owners of these companies need a bit of a shake up.

Granted I’m not an expert, and this is a little anecdotal, but regardless, I know of one owner, who employs the bare minimum number of staff, expects them to knock out 16-hour shifts, to be available for short notice cover, on-call 24/7, and pays them a shade above minimum wage.

Meanwhile, he owns a small mansion here, two Spanish villas, and a handful of sports/luxury cars.

Again, no expert, and not wanting to drag politics into it, but something seems drastically wrong there. I don’t begrudge people working hard to have nice things, but the gap between the top and the bottom is phenomenal.

It’s not as if these employees are doing menial work - they’re qualified professionals who are tasked with looking after your/mine/our loved ones.
I agree a pal of mine works for a care home long hours and pay is very average to say the least.Like you say looking after our loved ones and lot of us will end up in a home one day

Everyone making a meal of the Phillip Schofield coming out story. I'm not bothered by that, I'm still upset every time I see him promote the 'We buy any car.com' legal scam.

Everyone making a meal of the Phillip Schofield coming out story. I'm not bothered by that, I'm still upset every time I see him promote the 'We buy any car.com' legal scam.

I'm waiting for the Gordon the Gopher #metoo story.

But seriously...... who cares bar his family? Internet warriors and the righteous minority.

If this is what is hacking you off today, then I would say today is a good day!

at least they didn't let em **** and then leave it! which seems to be an increasing local behaviour where I live!

Your house? Sounds like the dogs have claimed it, to me. It belongs to them now

If this is what is hacking you off today, then I would say today is a good day!

at least they didn't let em **** and then leave it! which seems to be an increasing local behaviour where I live!

Not today but that still happens from time to time.....

Now I don't watch Dr Who anymore as they kept switching Doctor's, and they couldn't get a good one. But I've just heard that someone has pulled the horn of a Judoon. That's like the biggest insult to a Judoon. I'm fuming about this.

Was taking MK Jnr swimming but the pool was shut when we got there. Now sat in a soft play.....my ears.... ?

@Billy Bests boot laces so sorry to hear of your father in law passing, and to read the horror stories about care homes and bills/invoices.

Surely this is something to get animated about across the county/country, it's not right. We know the carers are poorly paid yet there are clearly people making a mint out of them.

Back