• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But "fighters" is a bit different to "people", don't you think? I'd be proud to have the title firefighter attached to my job, but a fishing person? Nah, not so much. I'd actually find it quite derogatory.
The only fishing person on here is @The General ?

(looks like the old emoji has gone which is a shame)

But "fighters" is a bit different to "people", don't you think? I'd be proud to have the title firefighter attached to my job, but a fishing person? Nah, not so much. I'd actually find it quite derogatory.

That's a different argument. You were arguing that we haven't replaced the word fireman. I pointed out we did that ages ago.

The really aggressive man that asked me for money in Southend high street and when I said I only carried plastic wanted me to withdraw a tenner so he could get drunk.

When I told him to do one he then started to make some unpleasant jokes about female genitalia and homosexuals.

That's a different argument. You were arguing that we haven't replaced the word fireman. I pointed out we did that ages ago.

It's not a different argument - it's the same argument. I omitted from saying that they were now fire fighters and was saying that they hadn't changed to fire people.

I love women. But it's been fisherman from the year dot. So does this mean the Bible has to be re-written to change fisherman to fisherperson?

The Bible obviously wasn't written in English, there are multiple different English translations in use and over history those translations have been continually updated to adjust to modern usage so the Bible can remain accessible. e.g. the Bible I was given at 13 was a different version to the one my grandparents grew up with.

ps The most famous Biblical phrase relating to fishing I can think of is "fishers of men", so maybe they should just be called fishers anyway?

The Bible obviously wasn't written in English, there are multiple different English translations in use and over history those translations have been continually updated to adjust to modern usage so the Bible can remain accessible. e.g. the Bible I was given at 13 was a different version to the one my grandparents grew up with.

ps The most famous Biblical phrase relating to fishing I can think of is "fishers of men", so maybe they should just be called fishers anyway?

I thought he called the four fishermen and then told them he will make them fishers of men. I'm sure Peter is mentioned as a fisherman elsewhere besides being one of those four?

I thought he called the four fishermen and then told them he will make them fishers of men. I'm sure Peter is mentioned as a fisherman elsewhere besides being one of those four?

Different translations translate it differently.

https://www.biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/4-18.htm

The King James Version and the Youngs Literal Version both say Simon (Peter) and Andrew were fishers.

I think they are the older translations and it's actually the 20th Century translations which say fisherman.

They all however seem to use the phrase "make you fishers of men"

The point is that the translations change over time. It's not fixed.

Large queue of mainly overweight twenty somethings in goodies queueing outside Game at 7:30am for their PlayStation 5.

Now I may have queued for a console in the past but is this really an essential purchase?

Surely they could wait another day for it to be delivered...

Last edited:
Large queue of mainly overweight twenty somethings in goodies queueing outside Game at 7:30am for their PlayStation 5.

Now I may have queued for a console in the past but is this really an essential purchase?

Surely they could wait another day for it to be delivered...

See COVID-19 and Mental Health ...P.191...Post #3817

The really aggressive man that asked me for money in Southend high street and when I said I only carried plastic wanted me to withdraw a tenner so he could get drunk.

When I told him to do one he then started to make some unpleasant jokes about female genitalia and homosexuals.

Now those are jokes we really need to hear

Back