• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Let’s be honest there are plenty of things that have been in place that people haven’t yet got offended by.

Section 1.1 of The Theft Act 1968:

1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

But hey I’m a 30+ privileged white male who isn’t entitled to an opinion because it’s either racist, sexist or my personal favourite because I’m a mod.

Cambridge United and their supporters.

Yes. The club are making a right song and dance about the match being called off. Obviously they wanted to play a lot of our youth team for an easy 3 points. Their supporters have jumped on the bandwagon. Shame on Camridge Utd FC. I think Covid trumps their easy 3 points, and rightly so. And it will be a disgrace if Southend are punished by the EFL because of the Cambridge protest.

So here we go, the BBC are doing it again. Now BBC Radio 1 are to play a censored version of Fairytale of New York this year, and possibly every year, as the lyrics may offend. I mean, the song is probably in the top 3 of christmas songs of all time. We all take the lyrics for what they are. She's wishing him a merry christmas, but having a go at the same time in the offending verses. I personally think it's a really clever song, and the use of bagpipes just makes it.
Shane McGowan said this;
“The words used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character. She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person. She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history, and she is down on her luck and desperate.
“Her dialogue is as accurate as I could make it, but she is not intended to offend! She is just supposed to be an authentic character and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable. Sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty in order to tell the story effectively.”

The BBC have opened up a can of worms here. There's thousands of songs they may have to ban, if worrying about offending people. At the very least a tenth have offending lyrics. All drill music would have to go, a lot of rap music. Some songs by people like Rihanna and Kanye West. Maybe all the songs that glorify drugs. Songs about size, like Hey fatty bum bum, might have to be banned. Where will it end? Some of the modern songs your teenagers like and sing along to, you would be shocked at the lyrics, far worse than the Fairytale of New York.

So here we go, the BBC are doing it again. Now BBC Radio 1 are to play a censored version of Fairytale of New York this year, and possibly every year, as the lyrics may offend. I mean, the song is probably in the top 3 of christmas songs of all time. We all take the lyrics for what they are. She's wishing him a merry christmas, but having a go at the same time in the offending verses. I personally think it's a really clever song, and the use of bagpipes just makes it.
Shane McGowan said this;
“The words used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character. She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person. She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history, and she is down on her luck and desperate.
“Her dialogue is as accurate as I could make it, but she is not intended to offend! She is just supposed to be an authentic character and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable. Sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty in order to tell the story effectively.”

The BBC have opened up a can of worms here. There's thousands of songs they may have to ban, if worrying about offending people. At the very least a tenth have offending lyrics. All drill music would have to go, a lot of rap music. Some songs by people like Rihanna and Kanye West. Maybe all the songs that glorify drugs. Songs about size, like Hey fatty bum bum, might have to be banned. Where will it end? Some of the modern songs your teenagers like and sing along to, you would be shocked at the lyrics, far worse than the Fairytale of New York.

Have a listen to or Google the lyrics to Cardi B - WAP. You’ll be shocked!

Not a clue whether they play it on the radio or not, I suppose they have no choice if it hits the charts.

Let’s be honest there are plenty of things that have been in place that people haven’t yet got offended by.

Section 1.1 of The Theft Act 1968:

1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

s6 of the Interpretation Act 1978 - words importing the masculine gender include the feminine.

I suspect it can be traced back via acts that legislation superceded and common law back to the days where women didn't have property rights

s6 of the Interpretation Act 1978 - words importing the masculine gender include the feminine.

I suspect it can be traced back via acts that legislation superceded and common law back to the days where women didn't have property rights

Good spot.

Mum and Dad have decided that they will be spending Christmas at home on their own. Am fed up to the back teeth of all this bloody Covid stuff.
Hopefully this will be the only time it happens like this @OldBlueLady. We are in the same boat as all ours are in Brum and we will spending Xmas at home with just the two of us.

Back