• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whilst at WHSG, got taken to see a special "schools" screening at the old Classic of the stunning Olivia Hussey and gorgeous Leonard Whiting version of Romeo and Juliet around O-level time - I remember we walked - then was lucky enough to go and see Shakespeare performed "in the flesh" for A-levels - Othello actually at Stratford upon Avon, fantastic. Don't think you should ever underestimate Shakespeare's importance.

Why do schools make kids study Shakespeare?

The only good book I studied at school was All Quiet On The Western Front. I hated Shakespeare and also The Mayor Of Casterbridge which were complete borax.
It is sure to put many off selecting English literature as an option, and, imo, is not suitable for below 15 year olds to research and understand the depths of character and speech. But for someone with either a journalistic or thespian aspiration then it is high on the "must" to be studied and learnt from.
Waste of time for most agree, and likely a negative exercise.

18 yr old stabbed to death in Leigh Old Town yesterday at 6pm, shocking waste of life.
Apparently late afternoon there were est up to 100 of the usual suspects down there, drinking, smoking weed, with the empties being discarded over the wall onto the mud. ( Got that off the Leigh Residents site, by someone who was down there ).
People ask 'where were the Covid patrol & Police'?. No idea, but for a mob of that size, you would have needed a fair number to disperse them?.
Sad times.

18 yr old stabbed to death in Leigh Old Town yesterday at 6pm, shocking waste of life.
Apparently late afternoon there were est up to 100 of the usual suspects down there, drinking, smoking weed, with the empties being discarded over the wall onto the mud. ( Got that off the Leigh Residents site, by someone who was down there ).
People ask 'where were the Covid patrol & Police'?. No idea, but for a mob of that size, you would have needed a fair number to disperse them?.
Sad times.

Apparently they knew about it advance as well..There were 100's in Leigh Library gardens earlier talking about "somebody is getting skanked tonight" At least the Police have arrested 2 people.

Terrible waste of a young persons life.. What on earth is in somebodies mind that they do this sort of thing..absolute madness. R.I.P.

I have seen hundreds of these youths getting off the trains armed up with bags of booze.

Sad times.

I am told by someone who knew him that the person involved was one himself that had been involved in knife crime assaults. The two friends who he was with drove him to the hospital themselves rather than waiting for an ambulance, but two knife wounds direct to the heart, well, you're never going to survive.

Apparently a mob had started off in the library gardens and were overheard talking about stabbing someone. There is no doubting that Leigh doesn't seem to be attracting the best groups of people to it at the moment.

I am told by someone who knew him that the person involved was one himself that had been involved in knife crime assaults. The two friends who he was with drove him to the hospital themselves rather than waiting for an ambulance, but two knife wounds direct to the heart, well, you're never going to survive.

Apparently a mob had started off in the library gardens and were overheard talking about stabbing someone. There is no doubting that Leigh doesn't seem to be attracting the best groups of people to it at the moment.
Lots of police in the old town this morning when I went down there. A van and two cars. There needs to be more done, sadly this doesn’t surprise me.

Last edited:

I grew up in Leigh and it's always had a street fighting side. The difference is this knife culture.

I grew up in Leigh and it's always had a street fighting side. The difference is this knife culture.
TBF this is everywhere and until there is a definite jail time for possession this won't change.
I dread to think how many of the 100 or however mob were carrying knives.
Why do these youngsters believe it's any different to carrying a gun which they wouldn't do many of them.
Sad waste of a life R.I.P young fella.

Yeah that’s the difference .. in our day we’d settle things with fists and this young fella was a good boxer apparently. But what chance have you got against a knife. Scary times.

Did you leave school at 16 or something ? (without discovering the school library?)

I'll always remember moving to EHS after Highfield College and devouring the school library there after being excused a lot of lessons.Would sit at the back of classes and read George Orwell etc after finishing my H/W.

Also when I tranferred to WHS will always remember a school 6th form trip to the Oxford Playhouse theatre to see a production of The Tempest (and go backstage beforehand to see the actors rehearse).Magic.Only ever been to see some crummy musical at The Palace before.Became a lifelong fan of Btritish theatre after that school trip.
TUIB, do you remember the rhyme, Highfield College have no knowledge, all they eat is bread and porrage! ?

TUIB, do you remember the rhyme, Highfield College have no knowledge, all they eat is bread and porrage! ?

Yeah that was sung by Belfairs boys on our "crocodile" walks in the mornings and after lunch.Reminded another old boy of that when we met up in the summer in France (for the first time since those days).Not true about the bread and porridge bit.Fortunately. :Winking:

Last edited:
Junk phone calls. Mrs RHB's mobile has just gone off and the recorded message informs her that there is a warrant out for her arrest from HM Revenue and Customs for non payment of income tax. Press 1 for what to do. That's a new one to us, but I suppose someone would be troubled by a call of that sort.

Junk phone calls. Mrs RHB's mobile has just gone off and the recorded message informs her that there is a warrant out for her arrest from HM Revenue and Customs for non payment of income tax. Press 1 for what to do. That's a new one to us, but I suppose someone would be troubled by a call of that sort.

I had that the other day.

Scumbags.

Back