• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saxon Gardens and Bunters Avenue were the two areas to be wary of when I was growing up in Shoebury, but some great areas in Shoebury.

The Garrison is pretty swanky these days, but I lived on Caulfield Road and later Church Road and both are great, near the beach, decent housing, safe, Gunners Park and East Beach in walking distance.

Not got the bars and restaurants of Leigh and so have you, but a nice place to live.
Ha ha I grew up living in Bunters Avenue in the 60's thru to the 80's

loved the late night sessions in the Cambridge & Sportsman in the late 70's early 80's

Ha ha I grew up living in Bunters Avenue in the 60's thru to the 80's

loved the late night sessions in the Cambridge & Sportsman in the late 70's early 80's
The Sportsman was quite a trendy pub in the late 70s. The shape and look of it inside and out was different to any other pub. Me and a couple of mates used to get the bus from London Road Leigh to go there for a Thursday night. It was like a pub disco on those Thursdays, and packed out about a 50/50 split male/female. Saturday Night Fever had just come out at the cinema, so they played a lot of disco music. I knew a few of the Shoebury lot, and had relatives in Shoebury. We got no trouble, although we saw a bit there. A guy we got talking to on the bus used to travel all the way from Benfleet for those Thursdays. He kept saying ''You can't beat a Shoebury bird'', Lol. He would then shout it out each time we saw him on the bus there or back, as he knew it made us laugh.

Too many ****ing meetings talking bollocks and achieving nothing. Just over 9 years to retirement.
Not mentioning any names, but in the 3 months I lasted on contract at NR there was a guy who trotted out the same one sheet powerpoint at every meeting (and I really mean every meeting) whether it was relevant or not. So much so it became a standing joke between me and some of the other contractors.

Forgetting the fact that it was largely irrelevant, it was the sum total of his contribution to the project I was brought in to work on. I have never met anyone as ineffectual as him in my entire career. It didn't matter how many actions he was given at the end of any meeting because he never even started any of them. I have no idea what he did during the rest of his working day.

Not wanting to get political, it didn't surprise me when he was elected as a local tory councillor.

The only thing I enjoyed about that project was the coffee and trying to persuade you to ask the barista if he was famous!

Last edited:
I was astounded that TFL have over 600 staff on more than £100k a year, likely for hosting meetings?
OVER SIX HUNDRED!

Angers me that NR are moaning about a lack of money but my boss is hosting meetings around the country including the SW and Scotland, expecting people from those routes to attend. So they fly and stay hotels. All of this can and should be done in Teams.

I have got 3 poxy pointless meetings in Birmingham in 2 weeks. FML.

Not mentioning any names, but in the 3 months I lasted on contract at NR there was a guy who trotted out the same one sheet powerpoint at every meeting (and I really mean every meeting) whether it was relevant or not. So much so it became a standing joke between me and some of the other contractors.

Forgetting the fact that it was largely irrelevant, it was the sum total of his contribution to the project I was brought in to work on. I have never met anyone as ineffectual as him in my entire career. It didn't matter how many actions he was given at the end of any meeting because he never even started any of them. I have no idea what he did during the rest of his working day.

Not wanting to get political, it didn't surprise me when he was elected as a local tory councillor.

The only thing I enjoyed about that project was the coffee and trying to persuade you to ask the barista if he was famous!

You wouldn't recognise the place, it's like the Mary Celeste these days. That Barrista is no longer there.

Angers me that NR are moaning about a lack of money but my boss is hosting meetings around the country including the SW and Scotland, expecting people from those routes to attend. So they fly and stay hotels. All of this can and should be done in Teams.

I have got 3 poxy pointless meetings in Birmingham in 2 weeks. FML.
Or by train!

You'd think it'd be cheaper than flying seeing as they work on the railway.

It's not!
You'd think they would be having a meeting about that!

And having a "price match" against flying and shouting the eco sense of it.

And you'd also be thinking, (if the transport minister does think much), that if the big earners at BR don't recognise and see the problem, and try and solve it: then maybe thay are a large part of the problem and need to be moved on and find a more productive and useful role.

I was astounded that TFL have over 600 staff on more than £100k a year, likely for hosting meetings?
OVER SIX HUNDRED!

TFL have around 28K employees. In the grand scheme of things £100k is not a huge salary for a senior manager in London.

A quick Google shows that Tube drivers earn an average salary of about £58k.

TFL have around 28K employees. In the grand scheme of things £100k is not a huge salary for a senior manager in London.

A quick Google shows that Tube drivers earn an average salary of about £58k.
I'd suggest that having over 600 of them makes most to be middle management, likely that the senior management is on excess of £200k.

Too many ****ing meetings talking bollocks and achieving nothing. Just over 9 years to retirement.
Between June 2013-Aug 2015 i worked for a big co in Progress Rd, who used to manufacture all the various types of pipes for the water Co's, Bristol Water, Anglian etc.
We had large factory's in India & China who contributed to the production of these.
Every day, morning & afternoon, we had meetings amongst about 10 of us, about how to improve production. Probably wasted a good 2 hrs daily, & did they make any difference, of course not, total waste of time. Unreal!.

Back