• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What needs to happen.. NOW!

Our problem is that we don't have a settled side, and can't have a settled whilst five of them are on loan. So, firstly we need some permanent players. Our problems stem all the way back to our wasted pre-season when others were gelling their new players and we were playing "trialists".

Foran doesn't play because he is, allegedly, extremely unpopular and disruptive. I'll trust Tilson's judgement on that.

Is Revell's job to score 15 goals a season? I don't think so. I think that is what the injury prone Barney and the equally injury prone Freedman are there for. Revell is in the side, to win the ball and create space for the proven goalscorers. Again, with the on-going injury crisis we have, there is no consistency and no chance to form a partnership. Similarly, we do not play to Revell's potential strengths. We fail to get decent, early balls into the box. We've consistently failed to do that under Tilson which is why players like Revell (and before him Harrold) will never set the goal scoring charts alight.

But ultimately we are Rizla thin. We've got lucky with Herd, he'll cut the mustard. But we must go and buy some quality, proven L1 players - if not for a charge this season but for next. We cannot rely on loanees or getting lucky with a non-league pick up.

The subs we made at stamford bridge were first class. Laurent playing right wing with Stan on the left worked outstandingly. Freedman playing in the whole is great his movement is world class. Shame stan has gone now though, in my eyes Foran should be given another chance.. I havent got a reason to dislike him

Foran? Cack.Too slow,too dirty and not enough skill.Rather see Revs and i'm not a great fan of him either.

just got back and revell`s work rate top notch, cant knock him, great goal as well..

for me today it seemed like a big chelsea hangover!

never got the games to prove himseld i thought he should of been kept on for another year, after what happened at hereford.
I wish that happened but it is the same with michael kightly and when bentley was at arsenal. They werent going to play so if the clubs werent going to get rid of them we wouldnt see the great players they are today

Hooper was never going to do that for us either though imo

And that's down to the club's management. He was good at Orient, scored for fun at Hereford and is on target for around 30-35 at Scunthorpe. He has scored more this season than our entire squad of fowards. Next season he may well be playing his football in the Championship, which is more than we are going to be.

And that's down to the club's management. He was good at Orient, scored for fun at Hereford and is on target for around 30-35 at Scunthorpe. He has scored more this season than our entire squad of fowards. Next season he may well be playing his football in the Championship, which is more than we are going to be.
And the management decided he wasnt for us.. Have to deal with it and cope with Revell Barnard Laurent Freedman and Walker!

Exactly - and I was always one that defended him. It's all down to dynamics, Hooper didn't gel with Gower and that was about it.

I just can't believe what i've read from the above.

The problem is not Revell, Freedman, Barnard or even Laurent, but the issue is lack of goals from midfield. last year we over acheived from Gower, Bailey Mac and HR Kanu. This year the goals from midfield have dried up. unless we can get 20+ goals from midfield we will struggle to end up in the top half of the table.

Is Revell's job to score 15 goals a season? I don't think so. I think that is what the injury prone Barney and the equally injury prone Freedman are there for. Revell is in the side, to win the ball and create space for the proven goalscorers. Again, with the on-going injury crisis we have, there is no consistency and no chance to form a partnership. Similarly, we do not play to Revell's potential strengths. We fail to get decent, early balls into the box. We've consistently failed to do that under Tilson which is why players like Revell (and before him Harrold) will never set the goal scoring charts alight.

Spot on. Revell's main job isn't to score 15+ per season. That's the job of Barney and Freedman, who are always bleeding injured. The job of Revs is to be the strong man up front who holds the ball up, flicks it on and links up with the (allegedly) goalscoring partner. All of the things that he did today, plus a goal.

Revs was excellent today, I can't believe people are knocking him. He was all over the place, he held up the ball and laid it off well, he won stuff in the air. Freedman didn't score today and was nowhere near Rev's level of performance, yet I don't see him getting stick.....

Spot on. Revell's main job isn't to score 15+ per season. That's the job of Barney and Freedman, who are always bleeding injured. The job of Revs is to be the strong man up front who holds the ball up, flicks it on and links up with the (allegedly) goalscoring partner. All of the things that he did today, plus a goal.

Revs was excellent today, I can't believe people are knocking him. He was all over the place, he held up the ball and laid it off well, he won stuff in the air. Freedman didn't score today and was nowhere near Rev's level of performance, yet I don't see him getting stick.....

Revell getting stick is stupid - I'd argue he's been our player of the season so far - I'd love to hear other alternatives from anyone...

Target men never get hatfulls of goals - the reason he doesnt score as many as he perhaps should is our woeful lack of supply and thats down in principle to Tilson's tactics.

Big strikers dont flourish under Tilson and I'm not sure why he bothers playing with one.

Revell getting stick is stupid - I'd argue he's been our player of the season so far - I'd love to hear other alternatives from anyone...

Target men never get hatfulls of goals - the reason he doesnt score as many as he perhaps should is our woeful lack of supply and thats down in principle to Tilson's tactics.

Big strikers dont flourish under Tilson and I'm not sure why he bothers playing with one.

Interesting point about target men not flourishing under Tilson. But strikers getting stick is pretty stupid full stop. It's getting boring saying it but our problem, and it's been our problem for the last two and a half years, is conceding goals - not scoring them. And it's a big problem.

It's staggering to me that in that period we've gone through about 734 strikers and only 4 or 5 centre backs. And have stuck with a pairing that clearly doesn't work.

Spot on. Revell's main job isn't to score 15+ per season. The job of Revs is to be the strong man up front who holds the ball up, flicks it on and links up with the (allegedly) goalscoring partner.
He was all over the place,

Perhaps being all over the place is the problem. Harrold used to work hard, but played on the last man, the players always knew where he was and could find him. Revell is all over the pitch and the hoof it style we seem to be adopting means he isnt where we are hoofing it to.

People like him because he runs around a lot, but so does my dog. Is he really 150K better than Harrold?

Hooper had plenty of chances and never looked like doing it so I dont think you can blame the management for that.

Its no good blaming Ron for not opening up his war chest- I dont think he has one, he's not massively rich. Thats not his fault, he has still done more for this club than most, but if you aint got it you cant spend it, and when you do spend value sums - 150K - on Revell, you have question the managers talent spotting ability.

The problem with Freedman IMO is in the actual fact we were playing balls over the top for him, rather than playing to his feet & having the guile in midfield to set him up closer to goal, though obviously I realise the pitch wasn't much use for that yesterday.

Freedman, who may not still be totally fit (who knows), simply hasn't got the pace to run onto these punts & create much. By the time he's reached the ball whoever is marking him has recovered any ground they lost originally & is usually back tight on him cutting his options either for goal or creativity. He's never going to lose anyone in a foot race towards goal & it's not his game.

We have no creation coming from midfield & limited options at the back. Without changes in both areas it could be a point of "are there 4 worse teams than us?". Sad to say.

Last edited:

You say big strikers don't flourish under Tilson, but who exactly have they flourished under?

The only targetman I can remember flourishing was Benji. Whilst Roy McDonough had his supporters he divided the crowd.

I'd suggest the constant is Roots Hall, rather than the manager. Some people just aren't prepared to accept a forward who doesn't score 15-20 goals every season.

Back