• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Nov. 01 2006,17:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Nov. 01 2006,17:12)]How many times last season did we actually play like genuine champions? Other than the Brentford home game, when we were awesome, the second half against Yeovil and possibly the first halves against Oldham and Tranmere, we were a solid but unspectacular outfit for large periods.
Some good points Kris, but don't you think that it would be good to be solid again.
Oh definitely. But we need to be more solid in possession as well as without. Packing our team with defenders ultimately doesn't solve anything because we end up lacking a shape and having players in unfamiliar postions. And that in turn leads to giving the ball away needlessly and inviting pressure.

Ultimately we need some fresh faces too but until then we need to return to a more conventional shape and the philosophy of square pegs in square holes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Nov. 01 2006,17:59)]I think we were balanced. With JCR and Gower on the flanks we had a far better shape and more options in possession.
We'll never be "balanced" with a right-footer playing on the left. It's all too predictable.

I think people forget as well that we weren't that strong at the back last season. We'd make similar mistakes as we are doing now and be rescued by a combination of top form by Flavs and mediocre finishing. This year we're being punished for our mistakes.

There's some real top posts in this thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 01 2006,19:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Nov. 01 2006,17:59)]I think we were balanced. With JCR and Gower on the flanks we had a far better shape and more options in possession.
We'll never be "balanced" with a right-footer playing on the left. It's all too predictable.
Arsenal went unbeaten for a season with a right footer on the left. France won a World Cup with a right footer on the left.

Gower's got a decent left foot and has the ability to cross a decent ball with it. He's got to start mixing it up though because last night he was far too predictable. Every time he had it he cut inside onto his right.

One of the things I've always loved about Gower is the way he is able to cut inside and get a shot in - he's had a few goals that way, and a few assists from rebounds also.

BTW - When I said it would be nice to be solid again, I was referring to our all round play. Mind you I'd settle for some sort of improvement.

I do think we were quite balanced when we had Bradbury up front, with JCR and Gower on the wings. Bradbury has a bit more about him than pretty much any of the other strikers Eastwood has played alongside. The only problem we had with JCR was his reluctance to put in a final ball! However he covered loads of ground and helped Francis out defensively and was always a good outlet. Also, and more importantly, he worried the opposition. Remember, they'll have seen him put in 2 good performances in the summer V England and someone else, and be on their guard. We don't have that at the mo.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know whats happened to Lawson? He's another option up front and Tilly has played him out right as well in the past.

Please do not misunderstand this post. I am not advocating the removal of Tilson, I am proud of what he has achieved for my club and he will always be a hero in my eyes. However, I have two points to make. Those on here who are stating that Tilson should not be criticised for the teasm performance this season as he has a fine record. Let me say that if you aspire to be a formula 1 racing driver and you only have a Fiat Uno, you may get a long way racing in your class by fine tuning and modifying, but if you want to make the next step up, you have to wave bye bye to the Uno. What I am getting at is just because Tilson has done wonders to get us this far, does not mean that he has not reached his limitations. Once again before you all reach for the keyboard, I do not persoanlly think it is time to jettison dear old Mr T, I am just pointing out the logic in the argument. My second point is that it is glaringly obvious that Mr T is somewhat naive tactically at this level, whether it is the timing of substitutions, defensive formations or taking a gung ho spirit to places like Derby etc. Perhaps RM might consider appointing a mentor for Tilly as a short term solution. A director of football maybe, just someone who has done it before who might guide him when asked but not interfere with team selection etc. Someone with contacts. I hear Sven is kicking his heels...............

PS Alan Hansen once said that the reason he had never been a manager is nobody ever asked him!

Back