• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Who in our current team is actually good enough to play for the club?

Just an honest question because i think we have a lot of dross who would struggle to find another league 1 club.

Mildenhall: Good enough, and a decent keeper at this level.

Barrett: Good enough, captain for a reason. He will have to go some this season to cobble our ramshackle defence.

Francis: Good enough, the pick of the defence for me. He must play right back as we have sorely missed his attack play.

Malone: Subtitute. Would be good as back up , but for me is not good enough to be a first teamer. He is however young and i would be happy for us to sign him full time, although i prefered friend.

Mvoto: Good enough: The sooner we get him in the team the better. A really strong defender at this level and just what barrett and SUFC need right now.

Sankofa: Substitute. Im sure he could be a good player but i wouldnt feel comfortable with him playing regularly.

Herd: Good enough: My take on it is that he is our player, he is player that is liked by the fans.
He is better than malone and his throw is a weapon and will be another that goes on to greater things having not been given the chance.

Grant: Good enough, i feel granty 's best postion would be as holding midfielder as he lacks the pace or passing quality to be offensive. Good in the tackle.

JCF: Substitute: How he feels he can play premiership football is beyond me. I had high hopes when we finally got him in, but he has been poor. He has great physical strength and stamina , but lacks any kind of brain or passing quality . For me he would be second fiddle to Grant.

Macca: Good enough: For me he is the only player capable of driving the midfield and linking the play up top. That said he has not scored anywhere near enough and needs to improve. He also needs to kerb his temper as his pending suspension (one of many ) Suggest.

Moussa: Substitute: Very dissapointed in moose. I know he is out of position , but he seems to be going backward in terms of progression. Lately he seems incapable of the simple things like ball retention and simple passing.

Scannell: Not good enough: I had massively high hopes for Damien ever since he skinned konchesky like he was a pub player pre-season. I always love to see any non league player being given a chance in the league. He has had all the time in the world to make the transition, but for some reason cant shift the weight or retain fitness and that shows a lack of ambition and respect.

Laurent: Good enough: Consistency consistency consistency . That is key for Laurent. On his day he is without doubt bordering on premier quality, the problem is the other 5-6 games in a row that he is blue sq premier quality. He needs to find balance and find it quick because his play will be pivital in our survival.

Walker : Substitute: Similar to Scannell in that he has the quality and we have seen glimpses , orient away a prime example of that. He has however got a role to play in the end of season run in and i would expect him to start a game or two before the season is over. Time to take that chance James or you will be playing league two or lower.

Freedman: Good enough: Much as it pains me to say it , the man should be playing. He is the most experienced man in our squad has the most goals (career) out of our squad something we lack . Start him up top and substitute him nearer the hour. He is the one to pick a key pass.

Patterson: Jury's out: He has been isolated for the two games he has played and service has been awful. Needs to be given time and more importantly a striker partner.

Spencer: Jury's out: I dont know why but eversince he signed i have had a really good buzz about the boy.
He has done all he can since he arrived. He has scored in the reserves and in a 15 minute cameo at huddersfield. Could be a real find.

There are a few other fringe players , but they are just that.

I reckon maybe 5 of our current squad would have got into the team that won us the league in 2006 and that a fair few would have been loaned out.

Tilson the team and the fans are in for a nervy seasons end for sure.

So most of our squad are good enough then ?

From whats been said over last few months we have no players yet you say most of them are good enough, and I dont disagree with most of your assessment.

Guess whats missing is 2 or 3 players and balance.

Will that get rectified by end of January? Doubt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2holes

So most of our squad are good enough then ?

There playing (loosest term) , but i wouldnt say all were good enough.

Not to harp on about it, but this
is what I said earlier today. Most of the side are
more than good enough for this level and... Well, you know the rest.

With the exception of Paterson and Spencer, of whom its too early to say, I'd say they are all good enough in the right system and alongside the right players.

The only exception might be Freedman, who was certainly good enough, but may no longer have the legs.

We won League One with Che Wilson in our starting line-up: you don't have to be a world-beater, but you do need to have players who compliment you and cover your weaknesses. We don't have that at the moment. Barrett needs to be alongside a big centre-half who eats up everything in the air, Paterson needs to be alongside another forward, Moussa needs someone alongside in midfield who can win him the ball, Sankofa needs someone in front of him who'll get back and defend etc etc etc

Back