• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 04 2004,12:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 04 2004,08:21)]30th January 1990. Drove up to Walsall for the Leyland DAF southern area quarter finals. I was behind the wheel with two friends in tow.

The wind was picking up and the rain was lashing down.

Arriving in friendly Walsall *cough* we tried to find a suitable public house, but got mad stares from all the locals, so we thought better of it. Instead, we decided to look for a chip shop. The place was grim. Like a ghost town, with the wind now gale force and the rain turning monsoon-like.

Arrived at the old shed of a ground for the game. Legs and hands were now without feeling as the arctic wind continued to pick-up and temperature continued to fall.

There was some kind of rickety wooden tower above us (camera gantry?) that was wobbling all over the place and we thought it was going to fall on us.

Stuart Rimmer was on fire that night and we played terribly. Walsall won 4-1 and we struggled back to the car, fighting off hypothermia.

Driving back was a slow afair due to restricted vision (deluge of rain) and the car being blown from one lane to the next on the motorway by the wind.

Returned hom in the wee hours of the morning... not exactly glad I bothered in the first place!

sad.gif
Arh! summertime in good old blighty! how you must miss it!
biggrin.gif
sad.gif
Summertime? 30th January?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Sep. 04 2004,09:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 04 2004,02:44)]Every cloud has a silver lining SiaK... or so it seems with these Rose-Tinted Specs anyway!  
smile.gif

Not questioning you... but I don't remember Ford making a 1500 engine for the Cortina? did they? the 1600E was my favourite...  
wink.gif

'er indoors? does she wear the trousers then?  
ghostface.gif
My Cortina was one of the first MkII's - (KOU294F) and had the MKI 1500 Engine and a Corsair gearbox. It was early enough that it still had the "Pudding Stirrer) gearstick, the really long one that went up to nearly the front bulkhead and which was a legacy of Ford's liking for front bench seats. It used to break at the bent bit, so often that I carried a spare gearstick in the boot as a matter of course, and just got the old one welded up when it broke. Later MKII's had the 1600 engine (so Real Men could drive 1600E's - if you don't get that look out for a book called Real Men Don't Eat Quiche...) and the short gearstick between the front seats.

Silver Lining? Have you met my wife? If you had you wouldn't bother asking about the trousers!!

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Drove thousands of miles around the country to watch the blues in that car - (just to get back on topic!)
Those were the days... with petrol £1.15 a gallon and a pint of best bitter for under 50p [and we thought we had it hard then!].
wink.gif

Incidentally, the first car I drove was actually my dad's Zephyr Zodiac with column change [before they split the driver and front passenger seat!]. 1966/7 I think it was [E], and you had to hold the gear lever in first gear, 'cos it used to jump out of gear under accelleration!
ghostface.gif

The 1600E was my pride and joy... would spend an hour a day [at least!] cleaning and polishing it!
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 04 2004,11:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 04 2004,12:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 04 2004,08:21)]30th January 1990. Drove up to Walsall for the Leyland DAF southern area quarter finals. I was behind the wheel with two friends in tow.

The wind was picking up and the rain was lashing down.

Arriving in friendly Walsall *cough* we tried to find a suitable public house, but got mad stares from all the locals, so we thought better of it. Instead, we decided to look for a chip shop. The place was grim. Like a ghost town, with the wind now gale force and the rain turning monsoon-like.

Arrived at the old shed of a ground for the game. Legs and hands were now without feeling as the arctic wind continued to pick-up and temperature continued to fall.

There was some kind of rickety wooden tower above us (camera gantry?) that was wobbling all over the place and we thought it was going to fall on us.

Stuart Rimmer was on fire that night and we played terribly. Walsall won 4-1 and we struggled back to the car, fighting off hypothermia.

Driving back was a slow afair due to restricted vision (deluge of rain) and the car being blown from one lane to the next on the motorway by the wind.

Returned hom in the wee hours of the morning... not exactly glad I bothered in the first place!

sad.gif
Arh! summertime in good old blighty! how you must miss it!  
biggrin.gif

sad.gif
Summertime? 30th January?

rock.gif
Ooooh, how did I miss that?
rock.gif
sad.gif

back to bed!
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 04 2004,12:06)]Those were the days... with petrol £1.15 a gallon and a pint of best bitter for under 50p [and we thought we had it hard then!].  
wink.gif

Incidentally, the first car I drove was actually my dad's Zephyr Zodiac with column change [before they split the driver and front passenger seat!]. 1966/7 I think it was [E], and you had to hold the gear lever in first gear, 'cos it used to jump out of gear under accelleration!  
ghostface.gif

The 1600E was my pride and joy... would spend an hour a day [at least!] cleaning and polishing it!  
biggrin.gif

cool.gif
That was PROPER driving! 1600E is worth a bob or two nowdays - bet you wish you still had it!

Everton in the cup when one of the other coaches from the company we were on developed a problem at South Mimms on the way home. Our driver then followed the stricken coach at a steady 40mph round the rest of the M25 untill it finally packed up on the A127 at about the Nevenden flyover. For the last ten miles back to the Hall the fans on the other coach all bundled on ours. That last 50 miles from South Mimms took about 3 hours ! Just missed last orders at The Spread but took on a Ruby at the Panahar !

The foggy drive to Leicester and back for an evening game in the cup was not a great experience. I think we lost 2 0 and played s**t !

Finally after loosing 1 0 to Palace on another winters evening the top hose on the car lost its Jubilee clip as we pulled away from Selhurst Park. Believe me when your not in the AA at the time trying to find a new clip and some coolant at 10 o'clock at night in Upper Norwood is not my idea of fun. Finally got sorted and got home at midnight, brown trousers and all.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lordlumpington @ Sep. 04 2004,14:05)]Finally got sorted and got home at midnight, brown trousers and al
What's sh*tting yourself got to do with the story?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Sep. 04 2004,15:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lordlumpington @ Sep. 04 2004,14:05)]Finally got sorted and got home at midnight, brown trousers and al
What's sh*tting yourself got to do with the story?
You take a trip down round Upper Norwood at 10pm trying to find someone who speaks English if they know where the nearest garage is !

tounge.gif

Gigg Lane, Bury. Ian Benjamin and all that !

Wrote my car off on the way up to the game, though the car was still driveable, barely, with a replacement windscreen that flapped at anything over 30mph. (both pillars were buckled after ploughing into the back of a flat back truck). Managed to limp into a service station on the M6 where, too my delight, some of the SUFC coaches were.

Me, my brother and his mate dumped the car and piled onto a coach. Some of you here may remember it, the emergency door alarm kept going off and someone kept trying to shut the door properly while we were flying up the M6.

After a fantastic day the coach dropped us off at the same service station on the way back. From just east of Birmingham 4-1/2 hours to get back on the back roads. Adrenelin got me through the day and the buzz of what we had achieved got me through the drive home, at which point after taking a good look at the state of the car and how lucky we had all been (one corner of the back off the truck came to rest between me and my brothers head in the front seat) I puked my guts up.

Travelling back from Sheffield stoned, ****ed and covered in dog sh*te. How I laughed as we stopped off in Chesterfield for a couple of hours for a few beers. I could never work out why the locals wouldn't talk to me...!
One other thing, we had Syd Barrett in the cassette player, made for the most surreal football trip of my life.
wow.gif

Scarborough away in t' cup.

Lost. Froze my nuts off.

Got home 0330.

Up at 7 for work.

Nothing unusual there, then.

By the way, the Grimsby Fog has been mentioned, wasn't there one chap who interrupted his trip to India to go to Gimsby? Postponed so he had to B&B in Cleethorpes. Not exactly theTaj Mahal, is it?
sad.gif

Torquay away a few seasons ago on a friday night. Coach didnt arrive until half time, and we got beat 2-1. Stuck in traffic after a dopey women got out of her car on the motor way in the hard shoulder and was hit by a approaching lorry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LITTLEMAN @ Sep. 05 2004,18:13)]Torquay away a few seasons ago on a friday night. Coach didnt arrive until half time, and we got beat 2-1. Stuck in traffic after a dopey women got out of her car on the motor way in the hard shoulder and was hit by a approaching lorry
I lost an aunt and two cousins in similar circumstances and they weren't dopey!!! the lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel...
mad.gif

Distinct lack of sensitivity littleman!!!
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 05 2004,19:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LITTLEMAN @ Sep. 05 2004,18:13)]Torquay away a few seasons ago on a friday night. Coach didnt arrive until half time, and we got beat 2-1. Stuck in traffic after a dopey women got out of her car on the motor way in the hard shoulder and was hit by a approaching lorry
I lost an aunt and two cousins in similar circumstances and they weren't dopey!!! the lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel...  
mad.gif

sad.gif
Sorry to hear about that

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LITTLEMAN @ Sep. 05 2004,18:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 05 2004,19:28)]
[b said:
mad.gif

sad.gif
Sorry to hear about that
Not having a dig at you, Littleman... just your choice of words!
wink.gif

i have only been on 3 away trips... largely down to me only realising the trust ran coaches to every away match midway through last season! and they were all pretty good... apart from the ldv final in cardiff... that day will stick in my memory for the rest of my life!

long story cut short... the coach left without us (me + some mates) from cardiff largely down to us being 1hr 30 mins late!... then eventually bartered ourselves aboard a "beer bus" making its way back to southend... with a slight detour in oxford!... lets just say the coach journey involved the quickly drawing of curtains and our eyes fixed to the on board tv screen!
cool.gif

I remember my last coach journey to Exeter a few seasons back. Got to Bristol services only to hear on the radio the game had been called off for a water-logged pitch.

After that, i decided to drive to every other match.

Badger

I attempted to go to the same Torquay match as Littleman, but having left at midday, never made the game at all!

What's more annoying is that's the only away match i've missed for over 8 years!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheLittleGazette @ Sep. 05 2004,23:14)]I attempted to go to the same Torquay match as Littleman, but having left at midday, never made the game at all!

What's more annoying is that's the only away match i've missed for over 8 years!
Part-Timer!

Only 3 league away matches in the "trusty" Fiesta and have won 2 and drew 1 so far. The lucky charm could make an appearance in 13 days time!

Kev

biggrin.gif

Back