• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Excellent read, it describes exactly how I felt when I was a kid going to my first game. I was about 8 years old, and my elder brother took me to Southend vs Brentford in the league cup. Just loved it, and still do. I know things ain't great at the moment, but the feeling you get at a packed Roots Hall is just priceless.

A sub forum in chit chat would be good, depends really, I don't think it really matters!

Depends on what?..you need to have a forum of some sort to enable different threads? unless you think just a sticky would be better where they are all mixed up.

Personally I'm not so keen for more sub-forums, my personal feeling is that threads won't be read as much if they're tucked away. I don't think nostalgia/memory lane type posts are common enough to warrant a sub-forum. If there was a thread prefix that would be good though.

Just my two pence worth.

Thanks for the love everyone. xx

Depends on what?..you need to have a forum of some sort to enable different threads? unless you think just a sticky would be better where they are all mixed up.

Depends on what other people think.

A sub forum would be a good place to start, if it gets very busy I suppose you can always change it. I think we definitely need seperate threads for this. Topics can range from quite different things, and to have dates and the famous Aldershot away day, where people can comment on their experiences, also a 'my first game' thread.

My first game that I remember was against Workington on a Friday night in the spring of '68. I was 7 years old. My brother ('BarnaBlue') took me to watch it in The South Bank with my other brother (who doesn't post here). They were teenagers - 16 and 14 respectively - and they met up with some mates there. I distinctly remember one of them was called Peter Wall and we were by the wall behind the goal when we met him - that's why I think I remembered it. It was a lovely sunny evening and all I can remember about the game was that we won 7-0 and that Billy Best was my favourite player that night. A couple of Christmasses ago my step-daughter got me a black and white picture of Roots Hall with that very view from behind that South Bank goal and by some incredible coincidence - because I hadn't bored her with this story - it looks as though it must have been from about that time. It's a treasured picture and luckily I persuaded Mrs S how good it would look above the fireplace.

My first game that I remember was against Workington on a Friday night in the spring of '68. I was 7 years old. My brother ('BarnaBlue') took me to watch it in The South Bank with my other brother (who doesn't post here). They were teenagers - 16 and 14 respectively - and they met up with some mates there. I distinctly remember one of them was called Peter Wall and we were by the wall behind the goal when we met him - that's why I think I remembered it. It was a lovely sunny evening and all I can remember about the game was that we won 7-0 and that Billy Best was my favourite player that night. .

That was the game when Eddie Clayton made his home debut, having signed from Spurs. After that match we only needed 3 or 4 wins from our last 7 games to ensure promotion. True to form we cocked it up and finished 6th (yet again). Used to sit in the east stand with my grandad in those days, remember after each home game loads of fans would leave their programmes behind. I used to make a shilling or two by selling them cheap at school (Belfairs) the following monday!.

My first game that I remember was against Workington on a Friday night in the spring of '68. I was 7 years old. My brother ('BarnaBlue') took me to watch it in The South Bank with my other brother (who doesn't post here). They were teenagers - 16 and 14 respectively - and they met up with some mates there. I distinctly remember one of them was called Peter Wall and we were by the wall behind the goal when we met him - that's why I think I remembered it. It was a lovely sunny evening and all I can remember about the game was that we won 7-0 and that Billy Best was my favourite player that night. A couple of Christmasses ago my step-daughter got me a black and white picture of Roots Hall with that very view from behind that South Bank goal and by some incredible coincidence - because I hadn't bored her with this story - it looks as though it must have been from about that time. It's a treasured picture and luckily I persuaded Mrs S how good it would look above the fireplace.

And very good it looks in its place in Chez Shrimpero.

I think Dad of Dave The Shrimper got his latest book out (on Southend's days at The Kursaal) via Shrimper Publishing. Wonder if the guys who run it are in any way connected to the 'Zone? We've got a lot of material here already, so it really could be a goer if (deep breath) there's any funding based on anticipated return for it. I'm no businessman, but there's plenty here who are.

Brother Graham for example? ;)

That was the game when Eddie Clayton made his home debut, having signed from Spurs. After that match we only needed 3 or 4 wins from our last 7 games to ensure promotion. True to form we cocked it up and finished 6th (yet again). Used to sit in the east stand with my grandad in those days, remember after each home game loads of fans would leave their programmes behind. I used to make a shilling or two by selling them cheap at school (Belfairs) the following monday!.

Thanks for this, BBbl. I remember that talk about Clayton at the time now you mention it as my 'middle' brother was also a Spurs fan and he was quite excited by this. Just as an aside, those wonderful Blues badges I saw you sporting on your LJ at the Yeovil home game last April must be from around this era too. I used to love those boards of badges you'd see on the way to the games back then.

I sometimes used to go to the Blues in the late 60's with a group of lads, which included one named Peter Wall. He attended Eastwood school. Any connection Shimpero?

I sometimes used to go to the Blues in the late 60's with a group of lads, which included one named Peter Wall. He attended Eastwood school. Any connection Shimpero?

Maybe with me as I went to Eastwood briefly before going to WHSB.Can't remember the guy though.:cricko:
Probably he was a friend of our other brother who also went to Eastwood before ending up at WHSB.

Last edited:
Thatnks for the memories, i rememer my first game at the age of 15, i know it was a little later than most, but i would not want to be any ware else. as for these memories,we hope to give my 5 year old nice the modern day memories.

My first game was a cracker too.

We beat ltuon town 2-1 in collymores last game. A game that kept us in the division 1! Roots hall was rocking that day.

Not sure of the date but im guessing may 1992

Last edited:
Great post PUBEY You could be showing your age I'm certainly showing mine. My first match was 1946 Walsall at the Greyhound Stadium Grainger Road. Cannot remember very much about the game But we did win 3-1 From then on i was a BLUES supporter

Back