• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs

The Army and Navy in Chelmsford, before it was a ‘sports bar’. They had some cracking bands in their over the years and you got up close and personal with them. I even ended up walking Reel Big Fish to the train station after their gig as they were lost.

The Army and Navy in Chelmsford, before it was a ‘sports bar’. They had some cracking bands in their over the years and you got up close and personal with them. I even ended up walking Reel Big Fish to the train station after their gig as they were lost.

Went to some great gigs there including seeing Napalm Death play infront of about 50 people

Went to some great gigs there including seeing Napalm Death play infront of about 50 people

I remember someone telling me Oasis played there, would’ve loved to have seen that.

I saw Lostprophets there before they got signed and were massive. Not really something to brag about now though.

Probably not many undead would remember it but what about the WHEATSHEAF at Rettendon on the old road to Chelmsford. Ridleys out of wooden barrels And later home to Southend via Hockley !!

Probably not many undead would remember it but what about the WHEATSHEAF at Rettendon on the old road to Chelmsford. Ridleys out of wooden barrels And later home to Southend via Hockley !!
Yeah I remember that , is it still a pub .

If I remember correctly, when the landlords/owners of the Aristocrat moved on , it was they that started up the Silver Jubliee.

Yes that was Andy who's children went on to own lots of the pubs in Leigh. I believe his mum and dad started it with the Guildford. The Jubilee would have hundreds of people on a Tuesday night in the summer, with many going on to Rains after the pub. Several Rayleigh teams would be in there for the magical 2 hours swill evert Sunday lunch time. Great rivalry and great fun.

Went on several lads holidays with Jubilee regulars who all knew each other through school or football. We peaked in 1987 with a squad of 27 to Rhodes. We met in the Jubilee and had a coach to Gatwick.

I remember someone telling me Oasis played there, would’ve loved to have seen that.

I saw Lostprophets there before they got signed and were massive. Not really something to brag about now though.
Less said about the latter the better.

Talking of bands, I remember seeing plenty at the Pink Toothbrush BITD; the brush is still going, but they somehow have had a knack of attracting some decent bands.

I remember going to see some of the following;

Aswad, Bad Manners, Afrika Bambaaata, Barrington Levy, BDP Posse, De La Soul, Eek a Mouse, Yellowman, Lee Perry, Shamen, Selector, Jungle Brothers, Ice T, Sugarbear, Stereo MCs, Smiley Culture...

Think Depeche Mode played when it was Crocs, but that was a few years before clubland for me.

Yes that was Andy who's children went on to own lots of the pubs in Leigh. I believe his mum and dad started it with the Guildford. The Jubilee would have hundreds of people on a Tuesday night in the summer, with many going on to Rains after the pub. Several Rayleigh teams would be in there for the magical 2 hours swill evert Sunday lunch time. Great rivalry and great fun.

Went on several lads holidays with Jubilee regulars who all knew each other through school or football. We peaked in 1987 with a squad of 27 to Rhodes. We met in the Jubilee and had a coach to Gatwick.

We did the same the from The Bull that year.

Only had a squad of 24 though and that included 4 of the barmaids!

The Cork and Cheese with doubt. Mainly for the Ales
However i agree with True Blue. Nelson is also very much missed.
The saloon Bar Part of the Nelson had many a celebration till close after a S.U.F.C. win.

A present day one. Miley Rochford, opening tomorrow after lockdown. Again all the Ales.
Looking forward tomorrow to Brentwood, Spooky Moon and Billericay Blonde on hand pump.
The Nelson got so bad during the end they were serving pints out of cans!

The Grand had a Public Bar , ****tail Bar , Saloon Bar and The Piano Bars as well as the small bar in the hall that was known as the Snug .
i remember as a little lad,going to school at north street,walking often past that pub...some of the time was a ROLLS ROYCE parked outside.Always ,we went and looked in it,thinking WOW..the worlds best motor.The geezer is either really,really rich..or one of the KRAYS

i remember as a little lad,going to school at north street,walking often past that pub...some of the time was a ROLLS ROYCE parked outside.Always ,we went and looked in it,thinking WOW..the worlds best motor.The geezer is either really,really rich..or one of the KRAYS

I used to work in the Grand as a 'potman' when i were a lad in the 80's usually on a friday and saturday night when it was busy.....my old dad used to work there too.
Had four seperate Bars and the Off license.......
Public bar back left....regulars card schools , fights etc.
'Kids' bar , front left.....students juke box, space invaders , vomit etc
Piano bar , back right.....older 'normal' people
lounge bar front right.....younger 'normal' people

Happy Days

Less said about the latter the better.

Talking of bands, I remember seeing plenty at the Pink Toothbrush BITD; the brush is still going, but they somehow have had a knack of attracting some decent bands.

I remember going to see some of the following;

Aswad, Bad Manners, Afrika Bambaaata, Barrington Levy, BDP Posse, De La Soul, Eek a Mouse, Yellowman, Lee Perry, Shamen, Selector, Jungle Brothers, Ice T, Sugarbear, Stereo MCs, Smiley Culture...

Think Depeche Mode played when it was Crocs, but that was a few years before clubland for me.

The Mk. II Feelgoods, i.e. with Gypie Mayo, also played there when it was 'Crocs' - I think it was Feb. '79 - and it was recorded for a live LP called 'As It Happens.'

Another vote for The Cork & Cheese, used to be our go to after work on a Friday night. Ran by another Miller, was it Paul? Went off to live in Le Touquet in the end.

A word about the sad state of affairs in Hadleigh - The Crown has finally been demolished and we currently have no pub open in Hadleigh at all. The Waggon & Horses - which was a great place for a Young Blue Lady to be, as it was staggering distance to home - went years ago and was replaced by retirement flats. The Castle closed in March and was planning to re-open, finally, on 4th November, it's a **** hole at the best of times. The Bread & Cheese doesn't look as if it's going to ever re-open and seems destined to become another block of flats along that A13 corridor. Not counting The Woodmans as it's Thundersley - but it leaves us just with Fatty's bar.

Back