• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EastStandBlue said:
At least somebody agrees with me about Ibrahimovich. The single most overrated player in the world... Has all the tricks in the book, but offers little to nothing in terms of an end product everytime i've seen him. He's the Jamal Campbell-Ryce for the insanely rich.
I've always thought that (not the JCR bit, but the rest of it). Totti's another one. I've never seen him have a good game.

I just don't understand the hype. He must have done something at some point to warrant his reputation, I just wish someone would tell me what it was!

Spot on about the FA cup Slipper, I totally agree, what a great year for the neutral too!! The prospect we all thought we faced of another 2 hours infront of the box watching Man U v Chelsea was bringing me close to tears!!

I now cant wait til cup final day

At least somebody agrees with me about Ibrahimovich. The single most overrated player in the world... Has all the tricks in the book, but offers little to nothing in terms of an end product everytime i've seen him. He's the Jamal Campbell-Ryce for the insanely rich.

Same here.

Mind you I never use to rate Davids or Seedorf. They were continually rubbish for Holland and I couldn't work out how they'd got their reputation. Eventually I saw them both have good games for their clubs, and realised why they were so highly regarded.

The other one as bad as Ibrahimovich is Inzaghi. Constantly off-side, misses more than he scores, yet somehow finishes with a respectable goal tally. A poor man's Andy Cole.

I just don't understand the hype. He must have done something at some point to warrant his reputation, I just wish someone would tell me what it was!

I believe it might have something to do with this (which is one of the all-time great goals in my book), but as you say, he seems to be living more off of his reputation than anything else these days.

Same here.

Mind you I never use to rate Davids or Seedorf. They were continually rubbish for Holland and I couldn't work out how they'd got their reputation. Eventually I saw them both have good games for their clubs, and realised why they were so highly regarded.

The other one as bad as Ibrahimovich is Inzaghi. Constantly off-side, misses more than he scores, yet somehow finishes with a respectable goal tally. A poor man's Andy Cole.

The thing with Inzaghi is that its perfectly acceptable in italian football for him to sit on the defenders shoulder and take the chance of being caught offside 20 times a game, because the 1 time he breaks it he usually scores. In Italian football thats usually enough to get a result.
Thats why shevchenko and crespo struggled here, in italian football its the movement and having the killer instinct in the final 3rd.. they werent expected to come back and defend - just save their energy for the few chances that came their way. Crespo is one of the best strikers ive ever seen for his movement off the ball - its just a shame for him his midfield supply line was touch and shoot lampard

I believe it might have something to do with this (which is one of the all-time great goals in my book), but as you say, he seems to be living more off of his reputation than anything else these days.

Ah, yes. Well, that is quite impressive. Mind you, it is 4-1 with not long left...

Maybe he'll be better this weekend against Palermo. Maybe he might think he has something to prove.

Poor old Spurs

Juande Ramos' tilt at a third successive UEFA Cup ended in heartbreak at The Philips Stadium when Pascal Chimbonda dragged his spot-kick wide of the goal and sent PSV Eindhoven through by the narrowest of margins. Despite 210 minutes of football, these weary gladiators had to be separated by a cruel penalty shoot-out that Tottenham should have had sewn up before it went to sudden death.

Chimbonda was quoted in a British tabloid in January saying that he didn't care about cups or European competition, he only cared about money, but the veracity of these words was called into question as he sank to the ground in despair. His team-mates did their best to comfort him, but he was inconsolable with shame. Apparently, there really is more to life than money.

Ramos could not have asked any more from his players who had worked themselves to the brink of exhaustion in an effort to find a way through the massed ranks of PSV defenders. Dimitar Berbatov thought that he had turned the tie with a ferocious volley from just inside the box, but the Dutch side held on grimly until the spot-kicks.

Their victory must be credited to the eccentric Brazilian goalkeeper Gomes. The big South American put in a Jekyll and Hyde display of staggering polarity. At times he was like David James two days after the release of a really good Playstation game; frazzled, distracted and useless. Then, moments later, he would soar through the air, defying physics to thwart Tottenham. He almost reached Jamie O'Hara's penalty, but he made no mistake with Jermaine Jenas' tentative effort.

Ramos' decision to leave Aaron Lennon out of the starting line-up caused some consternation. The Spanish boss has made his name relying on a solid 4-4-2 and quick wingers, and it seemed strange that he would choose this moment to experiment with a diamond formation. In came Tom Huddlestone and, stripped of their width, Spurs struggled to make chances. Ramos, to his credit, wasted no time in setting things right, boldly bringing Darren Bent on at the break and then Lennon, eventually, for the injured Ledley King. They began to pepper the PSV goal with chances

In the end, it's difficult to see what more Tottenham could have done to win this tie. The damage, unfortunately, was done at White Hart Lane in the first leg when they seemed lethargic and shapeless. PSV Eindhoven were a more organised side than the League Cup winners, but in terms of quality, there was actually little to separate them. Jefferson Farfan was a danger again and Salcido had a fine game at the back, but Spurs had just as much class in their ranks and will wonder what might have been.

Ramos' biggest challenge now is lifting his players for the final two months of the season when there is nothing to play for. A place in next year's competition is already secured through the Wembley triumph, so it's really just a case of fulfilling fixtures. Will he take the opportunity to experiment with line-ups, or will he somehow motivate the players to continue as if there is still a prize awaiting them? Their abject start to the season means that their Premiership status still isn't quite certain, so picking up two wins would be a good place to start. In order to do that, however, Ramos must first pick up their spirits and, after this defeat, that's going to be easier said than done.

Title Race Still On

From the way that Manchester United fans have been celebrating, you’d think that their lead was significantly more than eight goals. Arsenal fans, likewise, have been mooching about the place as if they’ve just been docked ten points for passing the ball too much. It’s not over yet, not by a long way, especially when you consider what we have store for us on Sunday.

At Old Trafford, the division’s two form teams go head-to-head as Liverpool seek to avenge their Anfield defeat by thrusting a walking stick through the spokes of Manchester United’s wheels. Later that afternoon, the Gunners limp over to Stamford Bridge for a match which will determine the length of time that we can continue to refer to this as a three-horse race. So, stock the fridge up, ready the sofa and tell work that you might be a little late on Monday. This will be a weekend to relish.

It’s all about character now. I was at The Stadium of Light on Saturday and Avram Grant cut an interesting figure. Usually he walks into the press conference and slumps into his chair, his eyes blank and expressionless, his voice soft and timid. Not this weekend though. After a competent, professional performance that put his side just three points off the top, he was suddenly straight-backed and enigmatic. He bore a thin Mona Lisa smile that screamed out, “Ha! Three points off the top! How many of you thought that would be the case when Jose left, eh? Eh? You heard me, Macintosh!” Well, that’s what I thought it screamed anyway. He was confident and, dare I say it, charismatic. It was all very surreal. The Chelsea players must be looking at him and thinking, “Blimey, if this guy looks happy, we must be doing something right.”

The mood is a little darker over at The Emirates Stadium where Arsenal have hit a curious run of form, repeatedly drawing against the more mediocre elements of the division. It’s not all that it seems though, especially as the Gunners have been very unfortunate. They had a perfectly valid goal ruled out when Emmanuel Adebayor picked up George Boateng’s through-ball from an offside position, though I suppose it was asking too much for the referee to remember that Boateng plays for Middlesbrough. They have a very difficult job, you know.

The underwhelming run of form has driven some Arsenal fans in the UK to despair. One popular English website actually received emails calling for Arsene Wenger’s head, though I suspect that they might have been written by Jose Mourinho. People can’t be that stupid, can they?

Manchester United ‘s three recent 1-0 victories don’t exactly point to a team pushing the needle into the red, but they do suggest a depth of character and emotional strength that Arsenal could do with emulating. William Gallas has called for his team-mates to show their ‘mental strength’, but after his tantrum at St Andrews that’s a little like Wayne Rooney asking his team-mates to stop swearing at the officials. United are the team that you would expect to hold it together when the pressure starts to build, mainly because they have five or six players who are better leaders than Arsenal’s captain. However, they are still playing without an out-and-out striker and that may hamper them in their efforts to get through Rafa Benitez’s Liverpool.

Football is a very short-sighted sport, as you can tell from the number of reports, letters or emails out there suggesting that we have just watched the weekend that decided the title race. Nonsense. Arsenal and Manchester United are level on points and Chelsea are only three behind with nine games to play. Wenger hasn’t blown it, Ferguson hasn’t stolen it and Grant is neither here nor there. This weekend, we’ll get a chance to see how the big teams fare when they face their own kind. Far from being over, this title race is just beginning to get interesting.

The two form teams of the dvision they may be but Liverpool have played their last 5 games against Reading (H) (3), Newcastle (H) (0), West Ham (H) (4), Bolton (A) (4) and Middlesbrough (H) (4) who have, as the brackets suggest, only accumulated 15 points between them in their last 5 games in the relevant home/away situation. If I was Keegan and it was possible to play my own shocking team, I would hope to get that run of form as they are almost certainly going to lose to Birmingham tonight and be plunged in to real trouble.

In the same period, Man Utd have faced Derby (A) (2), Fulham (A) (6), Newcastle (A) (2), Man City (H) (7) and Spurs (A) (13) who have scored cumulatively 30 points in the last 5 relevant locations.

The strange one is Chelsea. Casting an eye across their recent games, they're far from on hot form with a string of average cup performances that might have ended another team's season. Yet somehow, in that time, they've found enough wins to top the form guide with the only blemishes a point at home to Liverpool and a point away at Fratton Park, a place that was never likely to remain the weaker side of Portsmouth's results.

Personally, I'm expecting Liverpool's form to be shown up for what it is - scratchy wins against the Premiership's bottom feeders. Man Utd to win a hard fought contest 2-1, probably in exact replica to the Utd Arsenal game earlier in the season (the close one).

At Stamford Bridge, I think with Arsenal stuttering against anyone and Chelsea aware of this, a 0-0 draw looks well on the cards. Definitely don't opt for this ahead of the other!

If I was Keegan and it was possible to play my own shocking team, I would hope to get that run of form as they are almost certainly going to lose to Birmingham tonight and be plunged in to real trouble.

Hmm, hardly Nostradamus. At least I didn't bet on that....oh

Avram Grant

Avram Grant arrived here at White Hart Lane looking for the win that would set up an unexpected assault on the title, but when he left shortly before midnight, the only thing that had been assaulted was his own reputation. The Chelsea heirachy continue to insist that the Israeli coach is the man to take this team forward, but Tottenham keep popping up to contradict them. Juande Ramos has humiliated them twice now, first at Wembley and now here, and Grant's tactics, both pre-meditated and improvised, have been as vital to the Spaniard's success as anyone in a white shirt.

Ramos picked the same starting eleven that won the Carling Cup, but perhaps understandably Grant did not. At Wembley, Joe Cole was left to kick his heels on the bench while Nicolas Anelka struggled on the wing. This time their roles were reversed and Cole made his point emphatically. The England midfielder was dynamic, weighing in with two fine goals and an assist. You would think that such a performance would entitle him to remain on the pitch for the duration, but with 10 minutes to go, and with the score at 4-3, he was withdrawn and replaced by Michael Ballack.

Grant had already confused his team by removing Salomon Kalou and replacing him with Alex and the withdrawal of Cole's threat gave Tottenham the chance to push forward in search of an equaliser. Chelsea appeared to be playing a 5-1-3-1 formation with no width, no options and no chance of giving Spurs anything to worry about. Buoyed by a noisy home crowd and liberated from defensive responsibilities, Tottenham surged forward and the only surprise was that they didn't win it in injury time when Dimitar Berbatov shot straight at Carlo Cudicini.

It is only because of the heart-stopping, nerve-shredding excitement of this magnifcent game that Ashley Cole won't suffer the media crucifixition that befell Martin Taylor last month. His horrific challenge on Alan Hutton could have broken the Scotsman's leg in two. Cole was nowhere near the ball and caught his quarry right in the centre of his shinpads. Taylor was castigated for his clumsy challenge on Eduardo, but this was an act of far greater malice. Mike Riley's decision to produce a yellow card was absolutely inexplicable. Jason Koumas was sent off at the JJB Stadium on Sunday for a far more benign challenge. If that was worth a straight red card, then this was worth six months in prison.

Spurs deserve great credit for putting up such a spirited performance when many people expected them to go through the motions. The first ten minutes were so anaemic that Chelsea could have scored three, but a few choice words from Ramos sparked them into life. Robbie Keane and Steed Malbranque were exceptional, but the same couldn't be said for Jermaine Jenas. Everything that the young midfielder tried went wrong. He lost possession, gave the ball away and struck his shots with all the venom of an elderly jellyfish. He was removed at half-time. Ramos doesn't tolerate under-achievement on that level.

Chelsea's title challenge isn't quite over yet, but defeat to Arsenal on Sunday will be the final nail in the coffin. They are now five points behind Manchester United and any further slip-ups will leave them looking over their shoulder at a resurgent Liverpool. Grant's problem at Chelsea has always been a lack of respect. The players respected Jose Mourinho becuase he was a proven winner with a fresh Champions League medal in his pocket. They were asked to trust in Grant, and let him earn their respect, but there's no chance of that happening now. Managers have to take responsibility for results. Grant's tactics cost Chelsea the Carling Cup and they cost him two precious points here. The question on the Chelsea fans' lips is always, 'would that have happened under Mourinho?' The answer, I'm sorry to say, is 'no'.

What I'm trying to say, perhaps ineleganty, is that Koumas' challenge wasn't actually that bad. The keyword here is 'if'. If that was worth a red, then this was worth time inside. It really was a horrible challenge.

It is only because of the heart-stopping, nerve-shredding excitement of this magnifcent game that Ashley Cole won't suffer the media crucifixition that befell Martin Taylor last month. His horrific challenge on Alan Hutton could have broken the Scotsman's leg in two. Cole was nowhere near the ball and caught his quarry right in the centre of his shinpads. Taylor was castigated for his clumsy challenge on Eduardo, but this was an act of far greater malice. Mike Riley's decision to produce a yellow card was absolutely inexplicable. Jason Koumas was sent off at the JJB Stadium on Sunday for a far more benign challenge. If that was worth a straight red card, then this was worth six months in prison.

Have just seen the challenge on SSN, and I do agree it was completely reckless and every bit as bad as the one on Eduardo - only difference being that there was no catastophic injury occured as a result. Even if he wasn't given a straight red, he should have been given a 2nd yellow for the amount of dissent shown to the ref in the aftermath.

Great report, the goals all seemed to be pretty special. Got to be pleased for Spurs though.

As an aside, I see Cardiff appealed Hasselbaink's red at Colchester and had it turned down. Anyone know why he's only therefore got a 3 match ban?

Last edited:
Have just seen the challenge on SSN, and I do agree it was completely reckless and every bit as bad as the one on Eduardo - only difference being that there was no catastophic injury occured as a result. Even if he wasn't given a straight red, he should have been given a 2nd yellow for the amount of dissent shown to the ref in the aftermath.

Great report, the goals all seemed to be pretty special. Got to be pleased for Spurs though.

As an aside, I see Cardiff appealed Hasselbaink's red at Colchester and had it turned down. Anyone know why he's only therefore got a 3 match ban?[/QUOTE]

It was a straight red for I think violent conduct, hence the 3 match ban.

As an aside, I see Cardiff appealed Hasselbaink's red at Colchester and had it turned down. Anyone know why he's only therefore got a 3 match ban?[/QUOTE]

It was a straight red for I think violent conduct, hence the 3 match ban.

My point being, if it was an appeal that was turned down - why wasn't it increased to 4?

I think the ban would only be increased if they deemed the appeal to be frivolous, and apparently they did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back