• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
Not wishing to post a negative topic on here, and it isnt really, well certainly not about the team or management anyway.

This feeling of deja vu regarding our transfer activity, or apparent lack of it?

This was exactly the same in the close and pre-season period, where we were constantly linked with players, and there were mutterings from the club about this target and that target, and we ended up with not a lot!

The same is happening again here, whilst we have added Sodje to the squad, an addition who will no doubt prove valuable in the months to come, but precious little else, especially in the areas in which we desperately need them.

Added to this the facade with JCR, something just doesnt quite add up for me?

I dont believe Tilly hasnt been working to bring new faces in to bolster the current squad, but why has no one joined? The only reason can be a lack of transfer funds, or a lack of willing on our behalf to spend on wages.

Im not advocating 'doing a Leeds' and throwing cash around aimlessly until you end up in severe debt, but we dont seem to be willing to part with any. All of our rivals, Col******r uincluded, are spending money, even small amount of it, and bringin in free transfers, and we are doing nothing, and it is extremely worrying.

We need more players in the squad, of that there is no doubt. The current squad has done tremedously well, but we are wafer thin right now, and how much longer we can remain at the top of the table, or press on next season, is very much a question without a definate answer.

The only conclusion is that we have absolutely no money in the coffers to spend, in which case, we should come out and say so so that the fans are not waiting in vein, or Mr Martin is not prepared to back Tilly in the way that he said he would do.

Either way, we cannot move forward without more bodies, unless we have a remarkable amount of luck with injuries and suspensions.

I actually believe the JCR issue is down to us. I dont pretend to know, but if I was a betting man, I would put money on us being the club causing the problem. Our response, or lack of it, since Rotherham reported us to the FL has been very dissapointing and there certainly needs to be more transparency at the club on issues such as this.

Whilst everything on the pitch right now couldnt be any rosier, things off it, I fear, are not as good as we may have been led to believe.

However, Tilly has said that he hasn't been refused money by RM in relation to transfers. ST probably thinks MrX is a good player and would add value to the squad, however decides against it when the price is made known i.e. Fallon - could be a good addition but not at £300K.

I still have a glimmer of hope. A week to go (well 6 days) and who knows what could happen in that time. Tilly could be putting together the final details of a couple of transfers and he wouldn't say anything will he till they have signed. As Bon Jovi once said - keep the faith

Dont think ive seen his name mentioned but I think we should be going for somebody like Juan Ugarte. Class striker with a great record last season, goes to Crewe n now on loan with a view to a permanent move to Wrexham again. No dissrepect to Wrexham but they are not doing very well at the moment and we are 2nd in league 1 so surely if we made a bid which I think would be alot less than £300,000 for Fallon he would surely be interested? I know id rather spend £150,000 on Ugarte than £300,000 on Fallon.

Thats the point though, I dont think we will sign anyone before the window shuts, and the reasons given will be the usual ones 'We don't want to bring anyone in unless they will improve the squad etc etc'...

Well to be fair, I think there are plenty of players out there who would improve it, and not cost much at all.

I genuinely think it is down to money, and us not having any!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Jan. 25 2006,17:00)]The only conclusion is that we have absolutely no money in the coffers to spend
i dont believe that its a case of we have no money to spend, just as F.S said we are not willing to part money with over demanding clubs for certain players. If what was printed in the guardian regarding rons £10million takeover is correct, then that certainly suggests he is willing to put money into the club.
i personally, am not too concerned, i still think we will sign a striker before the deadline. before the window opened it was my opinion that we needed only a striker and defender and IF we sign this striker my criteria would be met and i will be happy.
however, i agree the squad is wafer thin, if injuries and suspensions come into play then we will be in trouble. however we are still able to make loan signings and if they are guaranteed first team football, which by this stage they will be, then the standard of player will be to tillys high specification and we will be more likely to sign then instead of getting rejected.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Jan. 25 2006,17:00)]The only conclusion is that we have absolutely no money in the coffers to spend, in which case, we should come out and say so so that the fans are not waiting in vein, or Mr Martin is not prepared to back Tilly in the way that he said he would do.
No the only conclusion IMHO is that we have a management team who are not willing to waste our budget on players who wouldn't add anything to Southend United just for the sake of it, Tilly and Brush have shown that they are happy to bide their time and wait for players who will enhance the squad....how we all wish we'd had a manager like that in the dark days before Tilly's appointment!

As for Ron he's backed Tilly all the way in the market since he's been in charge and I haven't got a bad thing to say about the man, the fact we made bids of nearly £200k in the August window says it all really. The JCR deal was left til the last minute and the Sodje deal was also a big surprise so I have no worries we'll get another 1 maybe 2 in before the close of the window and given Tilly's flawless transfer record I'm sure they'll add quality to the squad.

dont worry! I think we will be fine without any transfers, our team is full of good players who will do the job, theres not one player id get rid off so why get more? Just a goaly on loan and a striker would be good
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Jan. 25 2006,17:18)]Well to be fair, I think there are plenty of players out there who would improve it, and not cost much at all.
Let's have some names then please. Don't forget to include the maximum transfer fee you would be willing to pay, maximum signing on fee and wages. Also include their likely interest and whether they would be prepared to move their family to Essex.

Perhaps you could also tell me how you'd convince their present employers and agent to complete the transfer now rather than waiting until January draws to a close, trying to get the best deal?

I'm looking forward to this one...

Point is, Charlie Farley may well fit into our team but there are meny reasons why he may not want to move.
e.g. wife/girlfriend isn't interested, kids at new school. Could be any number of reasons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ Jan. 25 2006,17:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Jan. 25 2006,17:18)]Well to be fair, I think there are plenty of players out there who would improve it, and not cost much at all.
Let's have some names then please. Don't forget to include the maximum transfer fee you would be willing to pay, maximum signing on fee and wages. Also include their likely interest and whether they would be prepared to move their family to Essex.

Perhaps you could also tell me how you'd convince their present employers and agent to complete the transfer now rather than waiting until January draws to a close, trying to get the best deal?

I'm looking forward to this one...
Are you a reporter looking for an inside story?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mighty Shrimper @ Jan. 25 2006,17:38)]Are you a reporter looking for an inside story?
No I'm a realist. I've posted so many times about the January transfer window but I won't bother again.

Imknow. I was just expressing my general mood to the forum as a whole.

We want a forward. Who is there we could sign? We could try to get someone untired from a Premier$hite side. They're unlikely to let anyone go that is of sufficient standard though, and they would be inexperienced.

We can't get Agogo.

Hayter is being chased by everyone in the division and can hold out for anything he wants. He is also alleged to want to stay in the Bournemouth area.

Fallon is going to Swansea for an obscene fee

Jevons is everyone's second choice after Hayter and can hold out for what he wants.

Cureton allegedly couldn't negotiate terms with Col******r. I am merely guessing here, but I imagine that he would want a lengthy contract, but would you give him that with the prospect of Championship football next year?

Have I missed anyone? We can band names around from Football Manager if that's your thing, or looking at stats on the BBC website, but it doesn't really get us anywhere

Transfer funds aren't a problem and we've put in bids for players that prove this - £185,000 for Luke Beckett in pre-season; £75,000 for Junior Agogo and a similar fee for JCR just before the last window closed. There are probably others that we don't know about as well.

Our sticking point appears to be wages, which are on the low side and will need to be raised if we are to compete in the Championship (this is purely hypothetical, by the way, I'm still not convinced we're going up). However, I'm willing to trust Ron Martin on this issue as he's undoubtedly improved the club's finances since he's taken charge.

I realise we do have the smallest squad in the division but the good thing is that every member is of first team standard and can step in and do a fine job when they are needed. I'd much prefer to keep this scenario than have a squad of 25 players featuring several that are only there to make up the numbers.

Besides, are there many areas that we need to strengthen in? At the moment our only priority is a fourth striker. Now that Adam Barrett has proven he can deputise at left-back we should be OK in that area now. My only other concern is the JCR situation - if he doesn't sign then we could do with another wide player because both Mark Gower and Mitch Cole are prone to injuries and fitness problems. Bart Griemink must be reasonably close to full fitness, which would ease the goalkeeping situation, and if the worst came to the worst, we can always get someone else in using the emergency loan system.

Ultimately, our squad size has been a major talking point all season - and yet look where we are in the table. That's why I trust Tilly and Ron's judgement for now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Jan. 25 2006,17:00)]This feeling of deja vu regarding our transfer activity, or apparent lack of it?

This was exactly the same in the close and pre-season period, where we were constantly linked with players, and there were mutterings from the club about this target and that target, and we ended up with not a lot!
And we've been suffering ever since haven't we? Not a dig at you, I can see what you're saying, but let's have a little faith in Tilly and Brush (and Uncle Ron) eh?

I'm sure that if the right player at the right price comes along we'll sign him....if not we won't go splashing cash for the sake of it. That's how I read the situation and as every other decision by the management team seems to be working i'm prepared to go along with it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Jan. 25 2006,17:00)]This was exactly the same in the close and pre-season period, where we were constantly linked with players, and there were mutterings from the club about this target and that target, and we ended up with not a lot!
And we went top of the league

And as we approach February we're there abouts.

And we have players coming back from injury.

Not a dig, just a few points

I'd like to see us sign some people before the window shuts, but ultimately I don't think we will. And it doesn't concern me overly at the moment - I'm going to trust in Tilly and Brush. God knows they've proved all my predictions wrong this season.

I firmly believe the side is good enough to go up however I am not convinced the squad is. We need more players not necessarily better players.

Back