• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's a stunning result and, combined with Port Vale's win at Brighton, means essentially one thing...

If we can beat the Seagulls on Tuesday, we're in the playoffs

Technically, a win on Tuesday would put us two points away from being mathematically certain of being in the playoffs, but that would require either Tranmere to win all four remaining games and for us not to pick up a point in any of them or Walsall winning all five remaining games.

And that's fairly unlikely.

So, Tuesday's the day: let's beat the Seagulls, and then start planning on how we beat one of the various Northern Monkeys we'll face in order to get to Wembley.

:D

Tilly & Brush - you are, quite simply, magnificent. What an achievement. I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this year, but it looks like you're on the brink on showing up my lack of faith yet again. What a management duo... and what a club!

:clap: :support:

That's pretty much my take on it Matt, as far as the play offs go, without being over confident it's just our final position that needs to be decided. Looking at the table we have a game in hand over Doncaster, win that on Tuesday and we are 2 points away from them, so 3rd is achieveable.

Well said about T&B I just wonder what the Tilson out brigade are thinking now, run out of ideas? I don't think so. Lost the players? Nope.

Let's hope for a big and noisy crowd on Tuesday to roar us on.

Great effort on and off the pitch,but must also mention the great hospitality of the crewe ground staff,all very friendly and the pies were tasty

I thought the first half performance was the best 45 minutes football Southend have played for a long, long time... certainly the best this season. They were 1st to every ball, never allowed Crewe a second on the ball, were a yard quicker all over the park, and after doing all the ugly things well, it then allowed them to play some scintilating football.

Fantastic summing up R_C and delighted to hear the form carried on from last Saturday against Walsall. Bring on Tuesday!

great report!
really, really enjoyed yesterday!
great fans, dominated the game basically (they wernt good, but hey-ho)
good 3 points, and some of our passing was top class with the movement upfront and midfeild..
what brilliant form were on at a crucial time!
definetly worth the journey, well done everyone!

Well said about T&B I just wonder what the Tilson out brigade are thinking now, run out of ideas? I don't think so. Lost the players? Nope.

Taken us as far as they can? Clearly not.
Not able to use their contacts in the market? Never in doubt.
Tactically naive? Unbeaten in how many?
Living off past glory? Not today.
Got lucky with Eastwood? Hmm, yes of course. And then with Goater, and then with McCormack, and then with Bailey, and then with Walker, and then with Barnard, and then with..., and then with...

GREAT result yesterday. 3rd place is achievable now. Still some ground to cover but, as others have said, beat Brighton and no one is going to then want to play us in the play-offs.

I thought the first half performance was the best 45 minutes football Southend have played for a long, long time...

Thats the most important thing for me.

We were 2nd earlier with Clarke up front but I never thought we deserved to be there and our performances didnt merit the position.

However since Leeds or so not only are we getting results we are playing well at last.

Wins are important but to win by playing well at this stage is vital and we are going into the play offs with a good run of results and performances to match.

It will be tough to progress further but we cant ask for any more.

GREAT result yesterday. 3rd place is achievable now. Still some ground to cover but, as others have said, beat Brighton and no one is going to then want to play us in the play-offs.

Do we really want 3rd place, as the way things are looking at the moment, that would mean meeting Leeds in the play-offs, who are in effect the 2nd best team in the division (If you add the 15 points back).

with doncaster in a little dip in form at the moment i see no reason why we can't try and push up the league and try and finish as high as possible to give us the best chance in the play-offs!

Tactically naive? Unbeaten in how many?

Hmmm, agree with everything else but I can't see Tilly and Brush ever going down in history as tactical masterminds. They are astute with their signings (attitudes as well as ability), culture a great spirit within the squad, promote good passing football and encourage the players to play their own game and do the simple things well.

Essentially we play the same, home and away, no matter what the opposition - rarely, if ever, changing the formula for tactical reasons. This season has been a remarkable achievement in my opinion, no matter what happens now. If we do get promoted I am really hopeful the experience of the last two seasons will see us establish ourselves as a Championship club.

Hmmm, agree with everything else but I can't see Tilly and Brush ever going down in history as tactical masterminds. They are astute with their signings (attitudes as well as ability), culture a great spirit within the squad, promote good passing football and encourage the players to play their own game and do the simple things well.

Essentially we play the same, home and away, no matter what the opposition - rarely, if ever, changing the formula for tactical reasons. This season has been a remarkable achievement in my opinion, no matter what happens now. If we do get promoted I am really hopeful the experience of the last two seasons will see us establish ourselves as a Championship club.

Those were the tactics used by Cloughie when he was successful - let the opposition worry about us rather than us worry about the opposition.

Have to agree with Ailsa Road Shrimper. It just makes me laugh (well actually it doesn't, it ****es me right off!), how people only comment on T&B's tactics when we lose a match - and generally by applying lavish amounts of hindsight.

I agree with you though CP that they won't ever be known for their tactical genius. But even if they're not perfect football managers, their methods work, and they've done perfectly well for us! Long may it continue.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Ailsa Road Shrimper. It just makes me laugh (well actually it doesn't, it ****es me right off!), how people only comment on T&B's tactics when we lose a match - and generally by applying lavish amounts of hindsight.

I agree with you though CP that they're far from being tactical geniuses, and they're not perfect football managers, but they've done perfectly well for us!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it one bit. It's a hugely successful formula if you get it right - particularly in the lower leagues.

I suppose when we do hit a bad patch and lose a few it becomes very easy for the impatient Tilly-bashers to spring into life. Tilly's style is not to make changes but believe in his players and let them play their way out of it and regain confidence. It's patient (a rarity in modern football) and brave and he should be praised for it - by fans and players alike.

The fact that our management team don't seem to bombard the squad with extensive tactical instructions, 90% of which will be forgotten by the players the second they leave the dressing room, doesn't make them naive tactically. Steve Tilson & Paul Brush have been in the football for a very long time and I'm sure that they both know what they are doing.

Our success under Tilly & Brush has always been based around playing a system that the players are comfortable with (a flat 4-4-2) and trying to give the players the confidence and freedom to play the game to the best of their ability.

Yesterday was simply one of those memorable away days for me.
Like Charlton away, like Bristol City away, like Birmingham away.
We bulldozed them for long periods yesterday, and yes they were poor (very poor at the back) but you can only beat what's put infront of you.
I thought we'd win, but a game like yesterday's is often quite tricky, with maybe a lack of intent and application, but absolutely full marks to them.
And to have 5 mentals in one away game like that?
Anyone who was there should remember that one for a long time, if only for the above reasons.
Absolute quality.

Great support too.

I would rather watch a team where the players are allowed to play than watch success with the tactical ability of Watford or Bolton .....

the great thing is when its going well the players really believe in their own ability and their game flourishes .... what does Ferguson do ? Gets the best players he can and lets them play .....ditto Clough .... ditto Keegan ....

If you were a young pro would you rather play for Tilson and Brush or for a system ...

theres more to come

Great support too.

I thought the support was pretty poor. Whilst impressive in terms of numbers we were pretty quiet a lot of the time. A big turn-out and a comfortable win should equal lots of noise.

People often say that the players need to put on a show to get the fans going, well the players certainly put on a show, but it was really difficult to get the singing going. If that wasn't an excuse to sing for 90 minutes, then I don't know what is. Whilst there were a few songs, there wasn't really any sustained singing. Its worrying if people consider that creating a really good atmosphere.

The fact that our management team don't seem to bombard the squad with extensive tactical instructions, 90% of which will be forgotten by the players the second they leave the dressing room, doesn't make them naive tactically. Steve Tilson & Paul Brush have been in the football for a very long time and I'm sure that they both know what they are doing.

I agree. It's a good tactic at this level of football. But it does leave them exposed to criticism when we hit a bad patch as it looks like the management isn't doing anything to change it tactically...

It's been interesting to see them ride one or two bad spells this season, having faith that the players are good enough to play their way out of it, and end up possibly the strongest team in the league at the key time.

I thought the support was pretty poor. Whilst impressive in terms of numbers we were pretty quiet a lot of the time. A big turn-out and a comfortable win should equal lots of noise.

People often say that the players need to put on a show to get the fans going, well the players certainly put on a show, but it was really difficult to get the singing going. If that wasn't an excuse to sing for 90 minutes, then I don't know what is. Whilst there were a few songs, there wasn't really any sustained singing. Its worrying if people consider that creating a really good atmosphere.

Just when we were getting on along swimmingly... I knew it couldn't last!! ;)

I thought the numbers were excellent, but I also thought the volume levels and amount of singing was excellent throughout the 90 minutes. Certainly where I was, the singing was pretty incessent, and a good yardstick is how hoarse the voice is after the game... and mine had seen better days I can tell you!!

Not sure where you were in the stand YB, but as I say, thought the backing was superb, and very vocal indeed.

Back