• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'll be the first to admit that i was extremely critical towards Corr in the first half of the season, he was almost painfully bad to watch. I now realise this was probably down to be played up front by himself.

In the second half of the season he's been absolutely brilliant. I suspect the person calling him a thug is a Stevenage fan who couldn't handle seeing someone on the opposing side playing physical for once. If you're a Southend fan and calling him a thug you aren't much of a fan.

In regards to Thursday obviously the penalty was awful and there was a chance in the first half that should have been taken but apart from that he was good. He played a key part in the build up to Lenny's goal and he deserves a let more credit than what some have been giving him on this thread.

Crawliano would we have even got to the play offs without Corr's goals?

Probably, as we would have signed another target man at some point, or changed the way we played.

So go on, what did he do so badly on Thursday that he "had a mare"?

Much in the way that Bentley is paid to stop the ball going in the net, Corr is employed to put the ball in the back of the net. Fannying around thinking he needs to look like he belongs in a Catalan line up because he's on Sky Sports 5 is the only plausible explanation as to why he just couldn't do anything right.

I'll admit he's had good (even great) games where he's put himself about well and won everything, Thursday was the absolute opposite. Every time he shaped to shoot the groans around me were there to be heard. So in terms of doing what he's paid to do. 'Mare.

I'll say it again, if this was Cassidy doing the same thing there'd be calls for him to never put a shirt on again etc. As it's Corr it's "he's just saving it for Wembley".

I hope he does score at Wembley, I hope it shuts me and my opinion up FWIW. Just finding it hard to fathom why there's 4 pages of sycophantic praise over an (at best) average performance.

I've read this thread through again from start to finish and the balance between 'good game' & 'poor game' is about even. Most accept that his finishing was rubbish on Thursday but his general game contribution was good. Overall there isn't 4 pages of sycophantic praise. Some posters will always go over the top either for good or bad.

Probably, as we would have signed another target man at some point, or changed the way we played.

Much in the way that Bentley is paid to stop the ball going in the net, Corr is employed to put the ball in the back of the net. Fannying around thinking he needs to look like he belongs in a Catalan line up because he's on Sky Sports 5 is the only plausible explanation as to why he just couldn't do anything right.

I'll admit he's had good (even great) games where he's put himself about well and won everything, Thursday was the absolute opposite. Every time he shaped to shoot the groans around me were there to be heard. So in terms of doing what he's paid to do. 'Mare.

I'll say it again, if this was Cassidy doing the same thing there'd be calls for him to never put a shirt on again etc. As it's Corr it's "he's just saving it for Wembley".

I hope he does score at Wembley, I hope it shuts me and my opinion up FWIW. Just finding it hard to fathom why there's 4 pages of sycophantic praise over an (at best) average performance.

That is an extremely simplistic view.

Absolute rubbish. If you were actually watching, Corr worked his nuts off. He set up the attack that led to Leonards goal and made some very good tackles. He has scored 15 goals ths season which many many strikers in this league would be proud of. He has been employed to score goals and he has scored goals!

Well you're entitled to your opinion, just as I am to mine. Don't you think he was showboating when he missed that chance in the first half though? Surely he could have just buried it.

Much in the way that Bentley is paid to stop the ball going in the net, Corr is employed to put the ball in the back of the net.

Bentley conceded a goal, which means he failed to do his job. So he also had a 'mare too.

Pigott also failed to score, he must have had a 'mare as well.

Bentley conceded a goal, which means he failed to do his job. So he also had a 'mare too.

Pigott also failed to score, he must have had a 'mare as well.

take it all back. Corr was fantastic.

Yeah go internet. Seen the error of my ways.

Barry Corr really does divide opinion, he plays the target man role fairly well, his passing could be a lot better & his anticipation of situations is fairly low, he is a League 2 target man, League 1, if we get there, is imo a step to far for our Barry........

WTF?

The last player to play Corr's role to a standard anywhere approaching that achieved by Corr was Ian Benjamin. And Ian Benjamin is a bona fide Southend all-time great.

Obviously Corr is far more mobile and, Thursday aside, more prolific than Benji but otherwise those two are a legitimate comparison.

Corr's more than capable of playing at League One level - you may recall him being man of the match v Orient in the JPT semi-final, him beasting Millwall (sorry, bad example they were Championship) last season, his brace v Brentford in the FA Cup, all the way back to his first ever goal for us which sent us into extra time against Bristol City in the League Cup. The only reason he's playing at League Two level is because of his injury record.

Now I'll readily admit that BBBC's passing and anticipation isn't quite at Iniesta's level - although Iniesta would have been proud of that through-pass at Morecambe - but if his is "fairly low" what on earth would you describe Will Atkinson's passing and anticipation as? I mean you do appreciate that it's deliberate that Corr plays the ball to where the player is going to be, rather than where the player was when he last looked up, don't you?

So in summary it's maybe easy to write Barry Corr off as just a battering ram who keeps proving Barna wrong and scores a goal every other start, but to do so would be a big mistake as he offers so much more than that with his intelligent link-up play and ability to find space in the penalty area. I honestly believe that some people won't realise just how fortunate we have been to have him playing for us and quite how integral he's been to our success until he's gone. The reason he's built up such a following is because he's been class for us.

Barry Corr really does divide opinion, he plays the target man role fairly well, his passing could be a lot better & his anticipation of situations is fairly low, he is a League 2 target man, League 1, if we get there, is imo a step to far for our Barry........

His misses last night were nothing short of criminal, the scuffed shot, the Messi-esq lob which was just plain Messy & the less said the better about his Penalties.

He is a target man end of, he needs another striker buzzing around him picking up the pieces & flick on's for us to be more fruitful in front of goal, or at least play with 2 wingers & put the ball in the air for him to attack, we do not score enough goals & im hoping we can defend well at Wembley cos if Wycombe get 2 I cant see us getting 3....................

You said he we was useless at the game on Thursday, ranting and raving at me when I said he had scored 16 goals and was our top scorer this season. Calmed down now have we then

You said he we was useless at the game on Thursday, ranting and raving at me when I said he had scored 16 goals and was our top scorer this season. Calmed down now have we then

Barry corr to get sent off ,the worst frontman since andy rammell

Back