• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bentley's Absurd Gait

Following the format of Metal Monday, Tunes from Left Field etc, I present Bentley's Absurd Greats - dedicated to tunes that are, as Ron Manager once said, uncategoriseable. Many of these great songs are being thrown together on compilation albums marked as 'Guilty Pleasures', but I loathe this nomenclature. Don't ever feel guilty about loving great music.

This week's tune is:

'Words' - F.R. David

Brilliantly catchy synth driven Euro pop with a guitar break that sounds eerily similar to that in Joe Fagin's wondrous 'That's Livin' Alright'. The lyrics are wondrously naive, and FR manfully tries to mask his French/Tunisian roots with a near-falsetto that is essentially devoid of accent, but full of simple charm.

My love for this great record was confirmed when I staggered into a sandwich shop on Fleet Street with the mother of all hangovers. A very sweet (and rather gorgeous) Eastern European lady was preparing a life giving Bacon sandwich (please don't tell my Mum, shalom) whilst F.R. did his thang on Magic/Heart or whatever. She hesitated twice to push the volume upwards, whilst skipping around and preparing my feast, and far from punishing my aching bonce, the joy of this tune and its beautiful fan soothed me in an almost magical way.

So there you have it. 'Words' - a masterpiece. 10/10

Any chance of 'Keeping the dream alive' by Freiheit or 'Clouds across the moon' by the Ra Band next week?

Following the format of Metal Monday, Tunes from Left Field etc, I present Bentley's Absurd Greats - dedicated to tunes that are, as Ron Manager once said, uncategoriseable. Many of these great songs are being thrown together on compilation albums marked as 'Guilty Pleasures', but I loathe this nomenclature. Don't ever feel guilty about loving great music.

This week's tune is:

'Words' - F.R. David

Brilliantly catchy synth driven Euro pop with a guitar break that sounds eerily similar to that in Joe Fagin's wondrous 'That's Livin' Alright'. The lyrics are wondrously naive, and FR manfully tries to mask his French/Tunisian roots with a near-falsetto that is essentially devoid of accent, but full of simple charm.

My love for this great record was confirmed when I staggered into a sandwich shop on Fleet Street with the mother of all hangovers. A very sweet (and rather gorgeous) Eastern European lady was preparing a life giving Bacon sandwich (please don't tell my Mum, shalom) whilst F.R. did his thang on Magic/Heart or whatever. She hesitated twice to push the volume upwards, whilst skipping around and preparing my feast, and far from punishing my aching bonce, the joy of this tune and its beautiful fan soothed me in an almost magical way.

So there you have it. 'Words' - a masterpiece. 10/10

I thought I was going to have a lot to say about this by my words..don't come easy!!

Bentley's Absurd Greats Vol 2

This week's selection is a true work of pop genius:

'Everything Good is Bad' - Westworld (1988)

http://www.nme.com/video/id/a28wApiEwpE/search/chart

A chart failure, much to my disgust, this was a superb piece of guitar driven pop, a million miles from the enjoyable idiocy of 'Sonic Boom Boy'. Not a lyrical masterpiece by any means, it was however sung with gusto and sincerity by the lovely Elizabeth Westwood and deserved far more commercial and critical acclaim than it received. Click on the link, and enjoy.

Hmmmmmmmm The Linky Fing doesn't work for me .....and I have altered your thread title slighty BAG.

Sonic Boom Boy was much better than this...but this always reminds me of Timbuk 3's awesome track.. Future's so bright I gotta wear shades!!

Any chance of a MC Hammer classic to get me rocking in my office BAG?

I am torn between "you cant touch this" and "have you seen her".

I forgot how bad "Have you seen her" really was.... :tumbleweed:

'U Can't Touch This' matured well and is now a guaranteed floor filler if there's enough alcopop around, but 'Have You Seen Her' is beyond redemption. You know how I love to be awkward, but even I can't find any love for it. 'Play That Funky Music' by Vanilla Ice however......

Back