• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Apologies, I could have quoted any number of posters on this point. It will be interesting to see who Barnsley/Chester get in the third round (bearing in mind that we would have had at least a fighting chance against Barnsely) .
Chester earnt £18,000 prize money for beating us, the winner in the next round gets £27,000. Not massive amounts, but that is £44,000 that I am sure would have been very beneficial to the club (plus gate recepits) , with the hope of the plumb draw the next round . If you recall we were so close to playing Liverpool at Anfield, which would have been a massive windfall for us- and with it we may not be where we are today. So I would say that financially the FA cup 'can' be massive for a small number of lower league clubs , and is something worth playing for . Lets face it , we only have to win two matches to be in line for hitting the financial jackpot

examples of fiancial impact on lower league teams (from Deloitte report 2012)http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/news/2012/jan/650m-deloitte-report

2005/2006 Burton £700,000 (3rd round)
2007/2008 Havant and Waterloo(4th round) £600,000
2009/2010 Accrington (4th Round) £150,000
2010/2011 Crawley £1,500,000 (they earnt £500,000 before the ManUtd match)

Missed that at the time, but as I love to point out everytime someone mentions this, it makes no difference who they get, if we had gone through the entire draw would have been different.

Danny Cowley, Danny Cowley, Danny Cowley

Concords rise has been quality, last night Mansfield's goalkeeper got MOM. Can't think of a reason of why he should be overlooked, he will be snapped up by someone higher very soon if Concord go and knock Mansfield out next Tuesday

Cant see Ron appointing someone sitting 15th place in a division two leagues below us, he will want someone with a bit more pedigree.

Last edited:
Missed that at the time, but as I love to point out everytime someone mentions this, it makes no difference who they get, if we had gone through the entire draw would have been different.

Apparently not, as the same ball number was given to the winner of the tie, but it us or Chester.

Yeah JM has that one wrong. In the FA Cup the ball number is assigned related to the tie and not who got through. It is the League Cup draw which he is thinking of.

Cant see Ron appointing someone sitting 15th place in a division two leagues below us, he will want someone with a bit more pedigree.

Yeah can't see Ron appointing him but the last 2 managers we had with Premier league experience haven't or haven't yet got us out this league.

Look where the last manager we had without pedigree took us.

Have been a faithful/fanatical fan for close on 60 years,I certainly winced when Paul Sturrock couldn't continue and we got Brown who I've never liked but if we appointed that -----Devonshire I'd be looking seriously for another team to support(he was,unlike Brooking ,an underrated player).

Doesn't matter who comes in the same people wanting Brown out now will want the next manager out within 6 months as well. Changing thr mamager does not necessarily mean the players will suddenly become worldbeaters and we will win the league by a mile.

Doesn't matter who comes in the same people wanting Brown out now will want the next manager out within 6 months as well. Changing thr mamager does not necessarily mean the players will suddenly become worldbeaters and we will win the league by a mile.

It does mean we may well get a motivational manager that's gets more out of the team. You only have to look at Steve Thompson to see how that can work.

Brown has had plenty of time and produced nothing. I never wanted Sturrock out, but of those that did, I wonder how many are now gutted he went?

It does mean we may well get a motivational manager that's gets more out of the team. You only have to look at Steve Thompson to see how that can work.

we could also get another Steve Wignall and be fighting to stay in the League. The chances of us finding a decent manager are very remote.

Instant gratification society... still early days with 29 matches left.
Marathon not a sprint.
Regardless of performances, selections and tactics thus far, I highly doubt he'll get binned.
He deserves to finish the job he started and I'm sure there'll be no one more determined than him to succeed.
It's his last real crack at management in my opinion. If he fails miserably then it's the lower leagues or punditry from then on for good.

Personally, at this moment in time, I think that finishing below the play off places is a failure because it's worse than last season.
As the season progresses, say the team are consistently in the top three, then not finishing in the automatics could then be viewed as a failure too (see Orient last season).

If he loses in the play offs again, (be it the semis or the final), is that a failure?
As disappointing and gut wrenching as they can be when you lose them, they can be a lottery after all... a sending off, a dodgy penalty, an offside, penalty shoot outs etc. Would that still be deserving of the sack?

Such a fine line. Depends what your expectations are.
One positive to take is that either way, you're in the mix.

Last edited:
Instant gratification society... still early days with 29 matches left.
Marathon not a sprint.
Regardless of performances, selections and tactics thus far, I highly doubt he'll get binned.
He deserves to finish the job he started and I'm sure there'll be no one more determined than him to succeed.
It's his last real crack at management in my opinion. If he fails miserably then it's the lower leagues or punditry from then on for good.

Personally, at this moment in time, I think that finishing below the play off places is a failure because it's worse than last season.
As the season progresses, say the team are consistently in the top three, then not finishing in the automatics could then be viewed as a failure too (see Orient last season).

If he loses in the play offs again, (be it the semis or the final, is that a failure?)
As disappointing and gut wrenching as they can be when you lose them, they can be a lottery after all... a sending off, a dodgy penalty, an offside, penalty shoot outs etc. Would that still be deserving of the sack?

Such a fine line. Depends what your expectations are.
One positive to take is that either way, you're in the mix.

I'm not writing off this season, I'm writing off the manager.

Apparently not, as the same ball number was given to the winner of the tie, but it us or Chester.

Irrelevant. The fact that Chester are in the draw and not us means that the draw is bound to be different, same number or not. It only takes the tiniest of differences to make a draw completely different, a millisecond in the timing, a cough before the first ball is drawn, and everything is different.

Brown has had plenty of time and produced nothing. I never wanted Sturrock out, but of those that did, I wonder how many are now gutted he went?

I wouldn't say I wanted Sturrock out- not at the time he went anyway- but I didn't shed any tears when he left.

I wasn't gutted when he left (nor am I now for that matter).I think it was the right decision, though the timimg was awful.

I don't thibk Ron will be interested in Braintree's manager as he don't drive at all, relie on his wife to drive him to Braintree & back 3 time a week at least. Full time managment would be too much for him. Plus tactical is naive like losing 6-0 to Chesterfield!!

I really don't understand the so called supports of the club! What more do you want, we are in the playoff positions 4 points from the Top.

If You really support the club then get behind the whole team including the manger, we might not be playng the best but at the end of the day 3 points is 3 points and IF we get promoted I don't really care how we play a win is a win!

So get behind the team and stop always looking for the negatives!

Back