• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ben has total support from the football club and fans. So - I bet he loves the stick from the opposition. Is what football is all about and no harm is done.
Long may Ben be our physio and long may he be in such a great industry and enjoys the banter.
I would love it!!

Suppression of natural pee taking alert!

I do so miss the old days when we could verbally attack anyone about anything. As long as the humour was good no one really cared. I'd much prefer to go to a football match in the seventies than one these days. The terrace wit was brilliant then. What would you choose as your last match to experience. One from the seventies or one from now. All my mates would go for the former.

Except the person to whom it was directed, but they don't count do they?

I'm not sure if even one thread is still necessary here, but certainly not two. Threads merged.

More replies than the actual match thread FFS.

My take - daft tweet sent out, apology sent, story over.

I was in the main stand last night. The first time Ben left the bench they all started, as if pre planned and it was more than just 'banter'. Far worse than Millwall, in fact it some of the comments had a nasty edge about them. If he was black or Gay would the abuse be allowed.....obviously not so why should he have to shrug it off as just 'harmless fun'

I was talking to a fellow shrimper a few weeks ago who is really good friends with Ben. I don't know Ben personally So I hope he won't mind me posting part of our conversation. He told me that Barry Corr had presented Ben with his Wembley shirt framed and signed. This was for all the extra hours Ben had spent seeing him through his injuries. I quote " Barry thinks Ben helped save his career".

So thanks Ben...Keep up the good work and ignore the idiots. You have plenty of friends amongst us shrimpers

The overall sentiment of the tweet is great and i'm certainly not criticising that. I would however say that in most cases being overweight is a choice, eating too much, bad diet, not exercising etc. So it is rightfully not classed the same as racism or homophobia, which are not choices.

The overall sentiment of the tweet is great and i'm certainly not criticising that. I would however say that in most cases being overweight is a choice, eating too much, bad diet, not exercising etc. So it is rightfully not classed the same as racism or homophobia, which are not choices.

Debateable. Not in all cases, my mother in law had to take steroids for something and blew up like a balloon, so much so, they she pretty much became housebound.

It's simple - it's nice to be nice, and whilst most people laugh it off as "banter", some people don't and percieve it as bullying. I've worked on the shop floor and quickly learnt to laugh it off and give it back, and now I work in an office where I'd be severely repremanded if I acted in the same way.

Ben has total support from the football club and fans. So - I bet he loves the stick from the opposition. Is what football is all about and no harm is done.
Long may Ben be our physio and long may he be in such a great industry and enjoys the banter.
I would love it!!

Well thats incorrect

So if its a choice and one you don't like, then its ok. Some people look down on others if their wife is from over seas, so that must be ok because it was their 'choice'

Ben took stick,they said sorry,end of !

Ben understands his size in his job will attract nasty remarks,I think it's rather sad that fans stoop so low.

its his choice to be overweight and work in the environment he does. So he would expert to take some stick throughout the season.

Is partially true.
Look, Ben is a professional and in football you get stick from the opposition.
Live with it, take some pride in it - or do not work in football.

Is partially true.
Look, Ben is a professional and in football you get stick from the opposition.
Live with it, take some pride in it - or do not work in football.

I remember clubs releasing this this type of statement in about 1980. After some fans had thrown bananas at Black player.:winking:

People want to sanitise football.
Lets just play "patsy" football, be nice to each other and not let the game have that "edge".
If Ben does not like it? Then he should get another job. If he was "slight" he would gewt stick about being a "skinny *******", if he goes bald? "bald *******", is football!
I bloody love football. If it gets any more clinical - we may as well watch cricket and applaud quietly.
Man up Ben!

So if its a choice and one you don't like, then its ok. Some people look down on others if their wife is from over seas, so that must be ok because it was their 'choice'

I don't really see that as the same thing at all. Personally I wouldnt give someone stick for being fat but at the same time I don't have the sympathy for them that I would have for someone who is racially abused unless the weight problem is out of their control. Someones wife being from overseas is a very broad spectrum and not liking it could be down to many reasons, one reason could be racially motivated, another might be the thai or russian bride scenario where the judgement is made for different reasons ie age difference, the view that the man is exploiting the womans financial insecurity, the view that the woman is a golddigger etc. I am offering just one opinion which is that I have little sympathy for someone who is overweight through their lifestyle choice and it is different to being either black or homosexual

Noel Hunt is on Twitter at the moment. He is fuming with the Chesterfield FC twitter site claiming that they are amateur and disgusting and should be ashamed of themselves. I have to say that I agree with him.

I'm not sure if even one thread is still necessary here, but certainly not two. Threads merged.

More replies than the actual match thread FFS.

My take - daft tweet sent out, apology sent, story over.

Yeah, but we got beat 0-3, so nothing to talk about there as even the opposition fans were filing their reports.

I posted my love and support for Ben very early on but thinking about my reaction to Mr Evans' appointment at Leeds United I realised just what a hypocrite I was being. It easy to be insulting to someone who is not popular and less chance of getting picked up for it!

I'm with Uncle Leo on this one, done to death, all over.

I'm sure this won't be popular, but for away fans seeing Ben for the first time - how would you react if he was running on for an opposing team?
I hope this doesn't come over as all nanny state, but I'm amazed a bloke whose whole life is looking after others well-being is in this condition. Apologies, if it's down to a medical condition like a thyroid, but otherwise the man should do something about the diet.

I'm sure this won't be popular, but for away fans seeing Ben for the first time - how would you react if he was running on for an opposing team?
I hope this doesn't come over as all nanny state, but I'm amazed a bloke whose whole life is looking after others well-being is in this condition. Apologies, if it's down to a medical condition like a thyroid, but otherwise the man should do something about the diet.

Wow, he's a physio, not a dietician or PT. Maybe he's happy the way he is? Who are we to care or judge.

Ben's weight and physical appearance is his business.
Being a physio who runs onto the field to treat a player has always attracted stick from opponents. Long may it continue.

Fat, thin, big, small, hairy, bald, male, female, black or white - is nothing to do with any of it. Is because football supporters give opponents stick.

The main reason I started this thread was to let people know about the good work Ben does and the, IMO, interesting Barry Corr shirt story, Like I said some the locals from Chesterfield were going way beyond banter and that's why who was ever in charge of the tweets felt they could join in.

Ben has made no complaints about fans behaviour, It was me but now he is being told to 'man up' or get another job. Yes I do remember the good old days. Back then if the opposition were giving your players or staff abuse we used to stand up for them and show them who's side we were on. I agree not all the changes have been for the best.

Back